Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@mainewoods hey sir, was your birthday May 21? If it was, we have the same birthday! Right between Taurus and Gemini, a true symbol of the "twins."

We use Fels Naptha to make homemade washing detergent (for clothes). We buy it at Wal Mart. I normally find it over by the Laundry Additives and it costs about a buck.

How do you make it? Also, how does it compare to commercial laundry detergent?

Got out to the smaller of two Norway pines this morning.

Broken in 550 (on 13th tank of fuel now) plus new Stihl chisel chain plus pine noodling equals fun saw time!

Really got a system going towards the end and noodled them so the Fiskars would finish them off easily.

Lots of ticks out but the bugs are light so far.
View attachment 426718 View attachment 426719 View attachment 426721

Have you seen this site?: http://www.tickencounter.org/

That's the best comprehensive tick site I've come across so far. Also, I see you're getting some decent sized trees now. I have a few more large trees to go and I'll finally be done with my scrounge spot.

Have you seen this site?: http://www.tickencounter.org/

That's the best comprehensive tick site I've come across so far. Also, I see you're getting some decent sized trees now. I have a few more large trees to go and I'll finally be done with my scrounge spot.

These trees blew down about 3-4 years ago were bucked last spring before I really got into scrounging heavy and started keeping a log of downed trees. At this point as an "expert" scrounger I'd classify these as too much work but since I already committed to them I am going to use them as boiler fuel this winter. Between bucking and noodling I probably have 6 hours into them so far with at least another 2-3 hours to finish up the job. They (Norway pine) do put out the same heat output as black ash so it isn't like they are bad, just too much work compared to the rest of the wood I have documented in my "little black book" of scrounge. And since things have leafed out here I have another 20 plus birch trees that bit the dust since last year thanks to birch borer.

How do you make it? Also, how does it compare to commercial laundry detergent?

This is the recipe we use: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Mrs. Weld adds the scent pellets you can get at any box store to add a nice smell to the clothes. She was pleased with the results and it actually is cheaper than off the shelf detergent. We have also use the essential oils to add scent and that worked ok. The little scent pellets work better.

This is the recipe we use: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Mrs. Weld adds the scent pellets you can get at any box store to add a nice smell to the clothes. She was pleased with the results and it actually is cheaper than off the shelf detergent. We have also use the essential oils to add scent and that worked ok. The little scent pellets work better.

Nice. Thanks buddy. I'll cook up a batch this weekend and test it out. With 5 kids I do laundry a lot.

Same day as you Ambull, just a couple of years difference. ;)

I always thought May was the perfect month for birthdays. Usually have great weather.

These trees blew down about 3-4 years ago were bucked last spring before I really got into scrounging heavy and started keeping a log of downed trees. At this point as an "expert" scrounger I'd classify these as too much work but since I already committed to them I am going to use them as boiler fuel this winter. Between bucking and noodling I probably have 6 hours into them so far with at least another 2-3 hours to finish up the job. They (Norway pine) do put out the same heat output as black ash so it isn't like they are bad, just too much work compared to the rest of the wood I have documented in my "little black book" of scrounge. And since things have leafed out here I have another 20 plus birch trees that bit the dust since last year thanks to birch borer.

True. I've been a scrounging snob towards the smaller stuff but no more. They are much easier to handle, cut, split, stack, etc.

True. I've been a scrounging snob towards the smaller stuff but no more. They are much easier to handle, cut, split, stack, etc.
For a boiler, no split stuff is my favorite but plan two summers to dry. Otherwise one split birch will dry over a summer and provides good heat. I left those norway big enough to barely fit through the boiler door.

6a92efcd1d1d1c37a6b02b681639436b.jpg

Just saw this on facebook and thought you guys would like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howdy fellow scroungers,haven't been doing much wood what with the farm market keeping me busy. but...... i was out filling the sheep's water tubs and i spied a big dead tree down in the woods. either ash or walnut but pretty big. i can see some vines growing up it so i'll take a saw down tomorrow to clean them up. they should be dead by next fall.
KEEP ON SCROUNGING !!!!!! :chainsaw:

For a boiler, no split stuff is my favorite but plan two summers to dry. Otherwise one split birch will dry over a summer and provides good heat. I left those norway big enough to barely fit through the boiler door.

I wish I had an OWB. I hate splitting. It's by far the my least enjoyable part of scrounging. The workout is nice for a while but for the most part I just want to finish the job. The guy I helped by cleaning his chimney will be bringing his splitter to my house so I can finish up the few cords I have stacked. Another good reason to help a fella out, he may be able to help you in future.

Clint , Ambull , Happy Birthday !
Sorry I'm late .

Thank you sir. I've recently started a pretty intense workout regime. Lifting days with interval running and ruck march days. I need to stay in shape so I can kick ass in the woods like ya'll for a long time.

Way cool! The army trailer doesn't even look like a load is on it, they are stout!
I was surprised at how little it settled with that load. The trailer held up better than I expected. The only downside is when you drop a couple hundred pound chunk on it, corner down, it will dent......but it won't rust!! I'll take that as an acceptable downside.

Shea

I was surprised at how little it settled with that load. The trailer held up better than I expected. The only downside is when you drop a couple hundred pound chunk on it, corner down, it will dent......but it won't rust!! I'll take that as an acceptable downside.

Shea

Well, there's a biz opportunity for someone, bed liners for the army trailers.

Well, there's a biz opportunity for someone, bed liners for the army trailers.
I was thinking plywood, maybe a truck bed liner on that. Wouldn't affect the capacity and it would keep the bed from looking like the surface of the moon. Hey, why aren't you out mowing on that new tractor?

Shea

I was thinking plywood, maybe a truck bed liner on that. Wouldn't affect the capacity and it would keep the bed from looking like the surface of the moon. Hey, why aren't you out mowing on that new tractor?

Shea

Waiting for the dealer truck to show back up. Moving in bales, big error with audible warning message STOP..so I did, ton of error codes. They are hauling it back to the shop.

I love computers, but do not want on machinery. I *hate* being the freaking low paid guinea pig on this crap. They really need an afternoon operator school for these things, egads, two thick books on operations. No matter what it will be the employees fault, always is....I am not amused....

Shea

Waiting for the dealer truck to show back up. Moving in bales, big error with audible warning message STOP..so I did, ton of error codes. They are hauling it back to the shop.

I love computers, but do not want on machinery. I *hate* being the freaking low paid guinea pig on this crap. They really need an afternoon operator school for these things, egads, two thick books on operations. No matter what it will be the employees fault, always is....I am not amused....

Latest posts

Back