Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update, back to working. they sent a service tech first, he spent a long time with a computer plugged in, then reset to default nothing, then ran it, then had me run it toting bales again. He thinks it was a minuscule bit of water went past a sensor. He said these are designed to run on #1 diesel of ultra pristine quality. They will run on #2 regular farm diesel, but...stuff like this happens, said it's been driving them nuts, lot of guys experience it. Our tank is gravity so always pulling from the bottom so no large amounts of water accumulate, but, the small amounts go through. Doesn't effect any of the other equipment, I just don't see water in the fuel or filters, but apparently these new things are hyper sensitive.

As the owner, you can look at some stuff with the diagnostics, but to do anything you have to be a dealer with the proprietary software, etc. Or maybe you can get it, but the impression I got was dealer only.

Got to be thinking all the time, decades of using a clutch, you only use the clutch once in awhile, you use that forward reverse flick lever. It doesn't have a "creep" feature setting, like for the last two inches to do something, that you can do with a clutch only system.

Anyway, that's my review so far, getting smoother with it, just hard to unlearn old muscle memory.

It's definitely easier to diagnose and work on the older equipment, and they do have a greater tolerance for things to not be 'perfect'.

I ran a JD4600 at one job I had, and it had the forward/reverse clutchless lever also. I ended up using the clutch anyway, since it allowed me to start and stop more smoothly, and 'creep' up on things with the front end loader. I was probably putting wear on the clutch that wasn't necessary, but I felt the same way you do.

1/4 mile from my house I located this. Picked up about 1/3 cord as I didn't have a lot of time. To be nice I started with the butt piece (not shown) as noodling isn't a big deal and they wanted to give some of the pile to the guy's friend. They have a couple more trees coming down too but I'm out of room at my house for now.
image.jpg

After I did 4 heaping wheelbarrow loads I still have these pieces left. I got a couple of nice chopping blocks out of the deal too.
image.jpg

I'm out of room at my house for now.

I suppose that's a good problem to have this early in the cutting season. I haven't cut anything to speak of since winter. It's been raining here pretty much non-stop since the weather turned warmer. If it ever does stop, it's only been for a day or two....Just long enough to get the grass cut back for the next storm.

I suppose that's a good problem to have this early in the cutting season. I haven't cut anything to speak of since winter. It's been raining here pretty much non-stop since the weather turned warmer. If it ever does stop, it's only been for a day or two....Just long enough to get the grass cut back for the next storm.
I have unlimited space at the cabin (and no wood put up yet) but at home is limited to under the deck. Most of my wood right now is somewhat green but I have a bunch of black cherry that is seasoned and once the fire gets going I dont really care if wood sizzles a bit. By fall the stacks should be pretty good as everything is split small and cut short.

Well, finished draggin in bales yesterday, still have half to cut, but..rain every day now. Haying at an airport is a lot of driving back and forth figure about 1.2 miles a trip.... at least the far away stuff is done now. Have to finish mow now before the T storms hit.

As an aside, you guys contemplating scrounging some big wood, there's a 394xp in the trading post chainsaws for sale right now, five bills shipped. This is called a deal...I'd buy it but already have one.

Those last half dozen rounds in the back of my truck were tough to bust up. Ended up with two wheelbarrow loads of noodles just to get it done.

It's interesting that silver maple either blows apart like basswood or it's unsplittable. No in-between.

No firewood scounging for me but yesterday I managed to scounge up 2 oak pallets. Theres a lawn/compact tractor and side-by-side ATV dealer on my way home that puts pallets out by the road. I stopped to ask if they were free for the taking a few weeks ago and they said take some or all. Yesterday I spotted a new pile at the edge of the road and on my way home I piled two pallets on top of the ol'stratus. When I get my truck back together I will visit him in the future. The larger pallets are like 4'x8' or even 5'x9' and are a large shipping crake he gets equipment in. Late fall he always gets in a dozen new snow plows and they all have crates as well. :D

Those last half dozen rounds in the back of my truck were tough to bust up. Ended up with two wheelbarrow loads of noodles just to get it done.

It's interesting that silver maple either blows apart like basswood or it's unsplittable. No in-between.

Green, silver maple splits like a champ, hit with splitter and pops after a few inches.
After a year of drying, it is pretty hard and does not like to split well, especially big rounds.

Try Norway Maple, there are no easy ones!

Cut down a Tulip (Yellow Poplar) for firewood, and a Willow (to get rid of it) for someone today. Used humbolt notches for the first time (on all of them) and everything went well. Was very hot, calm & warm here today, not a cloud in the sky.

The pic shows 044 #2 with a 24" b&c on top of the Willow stump, which I took down further after dropping the 3 legs.

Was a lot of work to get rid of all that Willow, thankfully I brought the ATV over to help out. Just took it off the trailer, then attached the trailer to it. Ran about 8 trailer loads of crap into the woods in back of his house. That would have been a ton of wheelbarrow work! We would not have finished it today.

And the splitter made short work of the Tulip. I love watching it split some nasty grain stuff that would be all but impossible to split by hand.

More wood for my daughter, will likely bring it to her tomorrow. We were shot at the end of the day today. Then went home and did a little carbo loading (Sam Adams).

Attachments

• Wood5-29-15 001.jpg
    Wood5-29-15 001.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 29
I delivered the Tulip to my daughter today, it was almost 3/4 of a cord.

And now the guy wants me to take down a few more trees, his wife wants to put a pool in. Nothing large, just a Beech (about 5" diam) and 4 Black Birch, all about 12" diam. All have long straight trunks, and will make some good fire wood.

Some of the Birch are leaning into the woods, so I think I will hook them up to the winch on my ATV and have the owner pull it when I do the back cut to keep them where we can easily work on them and keep them from getting hung up.

Will keep you posted when it gets done.

I think this site got quite after the it was off line most of the day a few days ago.

I worked on the wood pile today, and I am bushed! I cut up all that pear and cherry wood I scrounged the other day. I have one big section of pear that is a bit over 12" in diameter. It is a about 4' long and is very burly. I am taking it to my buddy at work who is a wood turner. He should be able to get two nice blanks out of that sucker and he is pretty excited about it. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the splitting maul in action after church.

Here's two northfolk pines that I got days apart one was a monster I reckon it burns just as good as pine if not better as long as it is seasoned real good
It is a must to wear gloves and don't wear your good clothes as the bark bleeds this white goo that sticks like sh$t to a blanket

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back