Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I missed it in the 808 pages, but what supplies do you keep in your scrounging vehicle.

I keep a 021, fiskars x27, and a can of premix.

You never know when a tree may need to be cut up.
blue-moon-cinnamon-horchata-ale-6-pack-1019-400x400.jpg

A couple of tow straps, pulp hook, or pickeroon, file, wedges, short piece of logging chain, PPE, gloves, bar oil, and a scrench. Basic stuff that may be helpful in any given situation. Every scrounge is different, in some way or another, and it's better to have it, than WISH you did have it.

Ryan, I cut on a big cash crop farmers land. My family used to own it years ago and with this new owner putting in a bunch of turkey barns he said we could have as much wood as we wanted so I'm doing just that. I'm trying to get him a few more acres too by cutting all around the bush and cleaning up the fence lines . I clean up any trees or branches that fall into the field and whenever their big equipment pulls up a big stone I go in with my Kubota and get it out.
I have lots of equipment for firewood but for getting trees down I have a big plastic toolbox that fits on my front forks. Inside is a 260 and a 440, 2 gals of fuel, gal of bar oil, 4 wedges, hatchet and a smaller toolbox with scrench, bunch of chains, bar nuts, files and a tip grease gun. Also carry spray paint to mark logs for cutting to length.
I use my loader forks to slide in under the logs to unload them. Ripping a bit of bark off helps the logs to dry faster. I have maybe 10 different buckets but the forks get used the most. I used to just leave the logs on the trailer and cut them to round length right on it. Worked good but because my window to get wood out is so small I have to spend the time just getting logs home. I cleaned out the fence line 1st and then they planted right to the edge leaving no room for me to drive back. They guy also owns 100 acres across the road from me that has 10 acres of bush that is about 90% ash, again only time I can get there is when there is no crops in. That is the spring and fall and it's usually flooded then.

I pack a lot of stuff with me in the van , the tools to keep me on the road and cutting wood , plenty of rope/straps/chain/hooks/etc , usually 2 or 3 saws , a couple of spare chains , files , gas and bar lube , PPE , a couple of axes , a maul , felling lever and wedges a Tirfor and it's cable 7 days a week .
More stuff when I head to the woods LOL

Planned to do a little cutting today, ended up doing a little more. Took down 3 Black Birch (about 18" each), a smaller Beech, and a bunch of little stuff, which was all planned. Then we found a Red Oak that had blown down the night before. It was in the small strip of woods between the owner's house and the neighbor, and the owners friend counted the rings and determined it was 80 yrs old (a little over 20").

The neighbor came home near the end of the day, said when the Oak came down last night it scared the crap our of him and the wife. He also gave me permission to return with the ATV and take out whatever I wanted. There is both part of the Red Oak, and an older Ash log on the side of his yard. I don't think he was looking forward to cutting it all up with his 170!

044 #2 felt very strong in the Oak, I had been running it rich on purpose till it broke it, and recently leaned it out a bit. Seemed to make a big difference.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Wood6-12-15 006.jpg
    Wood6-12-15 006.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 57
  • Wood6-12-15 004.jpg
    Wood6-12-15 004.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 60
  • Wood6-12-15 005.jpg
    Wood6-12-15 005.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 49
Planned to do a little cutting today, ended up doing a little more. Took down 3 Black Birch (about 18" each), a smaller Beech, and a bunch of little stuff, which was all planned. Then we found a Red Oak that had blown down the night before. It was in the small strip of woods between the owner's house and the neighbor, and the owners friend counted the rings and determined it was 80 yrs old (a little over 20").

The neighbor came home near the end of the day, said when the Oak came down last night it scared the crap our of him and the wife. He also gave me permission to return with the ATV and take out whatever I wanted. There is both part of the Red Oak, and an older Ash log on the side of his yard. I don't think he was looking forward to cutting it all up with his 170!

044 #2 felt very strong in the Oak, I had been running it rich on purpose till it broke it, and recently leaned it out a bit. Seemed to make a big difference.

Enjoy the pics.
Nice score there...heap of good wood.

Latest posts

Back