Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems they have turned into an Amazon/WalMart type site... many pages of Farmertec available.
Remember Sears started doing this before they folded? Tons of third party drop shipping and somehow Amazon and Walmart are excelling at this. I’m surprised to see BBB selling farmertec.

Remember Sears started doing this before they folded? Tons of third party drop shipping and somehow Amazon and Walmart are excelling at this. I’m surprised to see BBB selling farmertec.
Yea everyone's wife's gonna see were on bbb and think a pillow or comforter is gonna show up in a few days🤣

Yeah, I know. There are regional differences, we’ve kidded around about it before. Like the square tree thing, a few people got a laugh out of it.
Just please for the love of humanity no one ask what the true dimension of a ric of wood is🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪 !!
It is quite interesting how a generation or the distance of a state or two can totally change terminology and such. 20 yrs ago I almost never heard the term quad. They were always 4 wheelers. Quad is pretty common now but if someone says 4 wheeler we all know they are referring to a quad. 4 wheel drive vehicles here are almost always " 4 by 4 " or simply 4 wheel drive but I don't ever recall hearing a vehicle called a 4 wheeler.
Move a state over or wait 20 years and it'll change.

Only because you said you made a ramp, and it looks like you are on a nice flat spot, I dug up this old pic. I bought a Harbor Freight Motor cycle lift. I had pics where I dumped a load of 30" oak blocks on the court, then went back to get another load. When it was time to start splitting I put the lift between the pile and the splitter. Lowered the lift flat to the ground and rolled the blocks on, then lifted it to the level of the table on the splitter, or you cold just bring it up to the beam. I'd split a thin slab off and let the heavy part rock back on the lift. When all the wood on the ground was split, I backed the trailer up to the lift, raised it to the height of the trailer deck and just rolled the blocks on the lift, then raised them to the height of the splitter. I must have deleted those pics. This pic is of smaller stuff, but you get the idea. Yes I know the tire is flat! I got so many reply's about that flat tire I went out and bought a bigger splitter. Seemed like a valid reason, flat tire on small spitter, get a bigger splitter?
aUyV1be.jpg
Oh now that's just cheating!!!!! Love it

But, if you are a semi driver a 4-wheeler is , well, anything on the road with 4 wheels to your 18 :p
That was the first thing I thought when I read it.
Have you ever seen one of those log arches that the casket companies use? I don't know why they use those great arches to move concrete boxes? I want one of them!
Those cars they use would haul a lot of wood too lol.
I grappled the top and the small stuff, and the big hollowed out Oak that used to be standing dead and started a brush fire pile as big as a van.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
We used to run all Honda's, then as they piled on more electronics the Hondas became less and less reliable.
I like the 98-04 foremans with the electric shift. They have a standard manual transmission and the electric works over it, have a problem and you pull out the manual foot shift lever from the "trunk" and keep rolling. They also have a pull handle so if the battery pukes you can still get it fired up, if you can pull it lol.
Wheelers…aka wheelies, ATV’s, quads, four wheelers, or whatever you guys call them.

I miss my old Honda 300 4x4. That was so nimble and could stay on top of muck/mud/bog and snow crust. The new wheelers have way more power but are heavy and nowhere near as “light on their feet” as the older ones and bog down quickly in soft terrain unless you have oversized tires.

A couple years back the ex and I bought a Polaris 850 and 570. She insisted on taking the 570 in the divorce. Other than my son rolling it over once and causing 5k in damage it just sits in her yard. I bought a 450 HO to replace it. I liked the 570 much better especially because of the power steering.

Fast forward, I just bought a new 570 EPS on Friday. Same wheeler as hers but two years newer and red instead of tan (I really like this color) so we’re up to three wheelers again.

My 850 is incredibly powerful so I can’t even imagine what the 1000 would feel like (and for my uses the extra power and 6k increase in cost isn’t needed).

Here’s the baby. It’s getting a winch, heated grips, and a windshield before coming home.
View attachment 1045756
The 350 rancher was a similar size, I always thought it would be cool to build one for mudding. I've had a lot of the 450 foremans, one had some knarly tires on it, it would go through anything I'd want to go thru and a lot more, but I'm not into having mud over the running boards(the electric shift models had full running boards, one of the things I liked about them).
Are you sure that's not orange 🤔 😝
We only have propane for the water heater and a gas fireplace . Since we use so little they gouge us on the price . We paid 3.69 per gallon in November been looking into an on demand 240v unit
The only thing that runs off propane here is our water heater too. I fill a few 100lb tanks, they went from 58 to 86(iirc) the last time 😒.
Once I get the electric from the barn to the house I'll switch over to an electric unit. I also will put small on demand electric units in the bathrooms for the sinks.

Pretty much what you guys are running for firewood round hauling. Tow behind? Trailer? Not sure what you call it.

So 300-400cc would be most appropriate?

Something like this? (Local to me)

View attachment 1045638

It’s gotta be able to travel up 30-40 degree grades and very rough boulder/stumpy/muddy/soft ground.

Hell, I’ll go pick it up this week if you guys vouch for it!

View attachment 1045640View attachment 1045641View attachment 1045642
If you have really rough, soft terrain you might want to consider something with independent rear suspension. Granted, solid rear axle is a stronger design, but even a puny little bike like my 250 Artic Cat will survive years and years of hard use.

If you have really rough, soft terrain you might want to consider something with independent rear suspension. Granted, solid rear axle is a stronger design, but even a puny little bike like my 250 Artic Cat will survive years and years of hard use.

It’s like the worst glacial till with ground moraine you can think of with highland ridges and lowland marshes. A very versatile machine is needed. If a skid steer or feller buncher had the options I would just buy one of those 🤑

😍

Cool firewood getter for the island boys

I went to a snowmobile show, they had some of those plus a lot of other primitive creations like that. Things were so simple back then. Didn't take much to fix if something broke. The fact that guys have them and they still run is a testament to that.

I went to a snowmobile show, they had some of those plus a lot of other primitive creations like that. Things were so simple back then. Didn't take much to fix if something broke. The fact that guys have them and they still run is a testament to that.
I haven't looked at any builds personally, but guys have been chopping up old snowmobiles and building those "Snow dogs" to haul there ice fishing gear, no registration required from what I understand!

Back