Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this was a first. Moved my chain grinders from the unheated shed to the heated shop today. Got them plugged in and threw a chain on one and kicked it on. Phone rang so I stepped away to answer and head a loud pop and then the grinder get really loud.

View attachment 1045281
Had somethng similar happen with my side grinder the other day. I had been using one of those knotted wire wheels to clean up some rusty metal. I had to remove the guard in order to get the brush on the grinder. I needed to use a cutoff wheel to cut off a small piece of metal so I removed the wire wheel, but couldnt find my guard. Well, my son said its just a small cut, just wack it off. Well I found the guard and put it on the grinder, installed the cutoff wheel and started to make my cut. The disc exploded, threw chunks across the room, I looked at my son and said, "That is why I wanted to install the guard". No old man was hurt making the right decision.

Had somethng similar happen with my side grinder the other day. I had been using one of those knotted wire wheels to clean up some rusty metal. I had to remove the guard in order to get the brush on the grinder. I needed to use a cutoff wheel to cut off a small piece of metal so I removed the wire wheel, but couldnt find my guard. Well, my son said its just a small cut, just wack it off. Well I found the guard and put it on the grinder, installed the cutoff wheel and started to make my cut. The disc exploded, threw chunks across the room, I looked at my son and said, "That is why I wanted to install the guard". No old man was hurt making the right decision.
Want me to have this guy bring some of these over, I can ship them down your way :laugh: .

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 8.05.34 PM.png

Thanks.

We’d like to bridge our creek eventually. I’ve already looked at different ideas, I’ll add this one to my “Ideas” folder on my iPad. Not sure where we’d put it yet.

View attachment 1045939
View attachment 1045940View attachment 1045941
Yea my dad built the bridge in the late 70's they had to get the plans approved by the army corps of engineers. It's a tributary of the flint river, the flint river connects at the corner of our property. I doubt nowadays that could happen. The river will flood over the bridge some times, sometimes we have to push huge logs off and other times the whole thing is incased in ice. It's a miracle the bridge is still there. That's a breathtaking chunk of land. Wow hard to find words to describe

Yea my old Remingtons are 16:1 back in the day using 30wt oil for both mix and bar. Some of them old saws were 8:1 - 10:1 30wt

This is what my David Bradley has on it, not my picture though.

Edit: If my math is right, this is a mix ratio of 10.66 to 1.

F250C913-0328-448F-AFE7-4CC66CB95997.jpeg

Dang we call them four wheelers, quads, ATVs all the same and interchangeable in the group of guys I know. I only drive 3 wheelers. So it's just 3 wheeler or ATV or machine, like are you bringing your machine with you

That‘s a nice ATC you have.

Belt drive is also prone to leaving you stranded if the belt gets wet. There is no way I would own a belt drive machine for my main machine.
I have never heard of wet belts as a problem.Run them everywhere and all the time with no problem. Underwater would be an issue though.

I have never heard of wet belts as a problem.Run them everywhere and all the time with no problem. Underwater would be an issue though.
We have to cross a couple rivers to get to our hunting spot, and very swampy hunting lands. Not uncommon to be up to the tops of the fenders in water.

That was the first thing I thought when I read it.

Those cars they use would haul a lot of wood too lol.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

I like the 98-04 foremans with the electric shift. They have a standard manual transmission and the electric works over it, have a problem and you pull out the manual foot shift lever from the "trunk" and keep rolling. They also have a pull handle so if the battery pukes you can still get it fired up, if you can pull it lol.

The 350 rancher was a similar size, I always thought it would be cool to build one for mudding. I've had a lot of the 450 foremans, one had some knarly tires on it, it would go through anything I'd want to go thru and a lot more, but I'm not into having mud over the running boards(the electric shift models had full running boards, one of the things I liked about them).
Are you sure that's not orange 🤔 😝

The only thing that runs off propane here is our water heater too. I fill a few 100lb tanks, they went from 58 to 86(iirc) the last time 😒.
Once I get the electric from the barn to the house I'll switch over to an electric unit. I also will put small on demand electric units in the bathrooms for the sinks.
I had a 450 foreman. Nice wheeler but the thumb shift was slow.

It’s red in person. Darn phone makes it look orange.

Back