Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are belt drives and there are belt drives, Yamaha's are waaaaaaay above the others in that regard, and mine has never failed me in ANY way, it always works perfectly for the situation and Yamahas belt last about forever.

My 600 Grizzly from the 90's still has the original belt and it still works perfectly.

SR
My 2001 Sportsman has the original belt as well.

Since we're talking about big winches and old Chevies, I have an old Chevy with a big winch. Don't let the grill fool you, it's a 72 k20... winch is a 12k hydro mile marker. It runs off the power steering system and works really well. The older ones were slow, but this is a faster 2 speed winch. I used to make money with this winch/truck years ago, pulling cars out of snow banks for cash...dodging CHP officers of course.🤣

The truck is a work in progress, hopefully I finish the body work this winter. I don't enjoy body work, so once I finish that, the rest of it should fall into place quickly.
IMG_20230106_184255173_HDR.jpgIMG_20230106_184146989.jpg

I have two Chevy square body pu's, but I wouldn't trade my 2018 Silverado even up for a brand NEW square body, NO way NO how!

SR
I'm the same with my late model Dodge...I've got the 72 k20 and a 71 k2500 GMC, I really like the simplicity and style of the older trucks, but the Dodge is a much better work truck. Everything about it is just beefier, tows/hauls infinitely better, stops better, power doesn't even compare, all the while much more comfortable.

Man, I feel stupid.

Trying to get a bunch of wood cut up and stacked for the wife because there is a good chance I will be gone for a few weeks for work. Running my 372xp with 28” bar and was time for a new chain. I was getting ready to pull out the roll of chain when I came across a few old chains of my dads.

Now, ever since I was a teenager I’ve run full house. My dad always ran skip, and I always thought it was dumb. We have small soft wood, my saws have no trouble pulling full house.

These chains were 32” and square ground slip tooth oregon, which is what the old man ran logging so I’m sure these are some of his old chains. They were pretty dull, so I cut a few kinks out to fit my 28” bar, and threw them on the grinder. Files the rakers with my well worn husky guage that gets them down about .035” where I like them.

Man does this skip tooth CUT. The saw sounds the same, but this chain is definitely smoother cutting and not any slower cutting then full house. Big chips, fast cutting and now I feel stupid for sharpening twice as many teeth as I needed to my whole life.

Skip tooth has 2/3 number of teeth as full house.
That is all I use from 16" - 32" bars.

Hickory is stronger than Ash and is preferred for axe and sledgehammer handles.

However, Ash is lighter and very strong, so it was generally preferred for baseball bats (both were used). Ditto rake and shovel handles, etc.

Plus, until the Emeral Ash Bore, Ash was more abundant than Hickory.

In the spring I bought a Truper brand Pulaski said to have a hickory handle. I swung it three times and the head broke off, from the weight of it I’d say it was a softwood. The seller told me to take it up with the manufacturer. But I liked the head size and width, so I bought a hickory handle and my son installed it. Works great now, I used it over the summer to dig around stumps and cut the roots. I won’t buy any other Truper products.

However, Ash is lighter and very strong, so it was generally preferred for baseball bats (both were used). Ditto rake and shovel handles, etc.

Plus, until the Emeral Ash Bore, Ash was more abundant than Hickory.
In the wood shop, ash is infinitely easier to work. Hickory will put your tools to the test!

Back