Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything that's been here is pre-rusted, it really sucks.
I've gone to look at rides and they say no rust, get there and there's holes I could stick my fist in :buttkick:. When I'm looking for cars I search, no rust, rust free, out west, down south, sometimes I find them that way, other times it's just searching like mad.
I hate rust BTW!

My dad's been collecting and working on cars for north of 60 years now. He says buy collector cars in L.A. for two reasons. One is there's "always" been a large population and therefor a lot of cars sold there. Two is the climate keeps them in great shape, other than UV damage. The money spent shipping your car back to where you live is saved many times over from not having to repair rust and corrosion.

Rain shadow 6’8” two piece (we mostly fish remote lakes accessible by canoe). I don’t recall which guides we used, just OE quality.
It looked great to me.
One time I bought beautiful salmon rod(read expensive but with a lifetime warranty), it was a sweet rod and you could feel the bottom and anything on it like you were running your hand down it :sweet: . Then as happens with many good feelings, the good feeling went away, yes I broke it. No problem though, because the company is a great company and I sent my $20 cash(friend got me the guides pricing :)) and the new rod was on the way :clap:. New rod arrived and I put my old one in the tube and sent my new one back shipping pre paid.
A week or so later I get a letter saying that my blank was custom tied and they would only replace the blank, anything over I had to pay for :(. So I contact the local shop that sold it to me and explained what was going on, they assured me they would do absolutely nothing for me as it was a custom tied rod. I asked them if they really thought I'd spend 475 on a rod without a warranty(I specifically looked for a name brand with a warranty and bought it as a lifetime rod) :nofunny:. There were also still rods there that were advertised as the brand i bought, but custom tied. I can promise you, they've lost a lot more business than it would have cost them to just hand me a portion of my cash back so I could have upgraded from a blank to a finished rod.
Important part of the story, I bought it in 95. Yeah it's a lot of money for a rod now, back then...
As for G-loomis, still a big fan, but I haven't spent any money with them in yrs.

My dad's been collecting and working on cars for north of 60 years now. He says buy collector cars in L.A. for two reasons. One is there's "always" been a large population and therefor a lot of cars sold there. Two is the climate keeps them in great shape, other than UV damage. The money spent shipping your car back to where you live is saved many times over from not having to repair rust and corrosion.
I like them from Oregon, paint fade is normal, but they look awesome.
I don't buy collector cars, at least they aren't when I buy them lol.
I think @MustangMike should buy my excursion, he could pull his Mustang around 10yrs from now and everyone would be drooling over the pair :).

My 72 k20 was rusty for a California truck, but I'm pretty sure it would be a wet dream for someone in the midwest. The only real rust was the rockers, one small spot in the bottom cab corner, and the bottom edge of one of the doors. Not totally unexpected for a truck up here in the snow...I've seen cabs that people back east were repairing that we'd just scrap out west.

IMG_20210118_142351567.jpg.d5e6905e8b8ba32f224a2225d57d4ea3.jpg

I recently bought 100 55 gr V-Max bullets to reload, only to discover that I had an old box of 250 that I had barely used, so I decided to take inventory of the 22 bullets I've horded over the decades.

Turns out I don't need to buy anymore 22 bullets for quite a while. I have over 3,000 bullets in 13 different configurations from 40 gr Hp to 55 gr TTSX.

Most were purchased in bulk quite a while ago, including: 800 - 55 gr Hornady Softpoint and 850 Reminton 55 gr Hp. and a recent purchase of 400 (remaining) Hornady 55 gr Hp.

Both my Ruger American Rifle in 223 and my M-77 in 220 Swift like the 55 gr Hornady Hp bullets. The 220 Swift also likes the 55 gr V-Max bullets, but the 223 does not like them so much. The 223 likes the 52 Gr Hornady Hp match bullets, while the 220 likes the Siera's more, and likes the 53 gr a little better than the 52 gr.

I was disappointed that Midway stopped selling the Hornady 55 gr Hp bullets, and no one else seems to have them. Would be nice to just keep one bullet that both guns like. I guess my current supply will last me a few years.
I reload more for my son than myself. He was going through a lot of 223's in his AR and bought a 1000 bag of bullets. Shortly after he bought the rather expensive LWRC .45 carbine that was delayed for a few years. Now the 223's are collecting dust and the push is for .45's. :rolleyes:

Wood related kinda. I've been helping out my logging friend keep his equipment running for years now. We have a good working relationship, I help him, he give me good burn wood. He called last week and asked me to come and look at this 2000 pontiac bonneville. Miss on 2 cylinders. Found the 1/4 coil want firing. Swapped coils around and the misfire stayed on the 1-4 position. Ordered a new ignition module for it. That came in this past Friday. Swapped it out. Apparently he left the door hang open and killed the battery. Tossed the charger on it and the car wouldn't crank. Flipping security light is lit on the dash solid. Pulled a p1626 code. Bcm isn't getting the key signal. Trouble is I don't know if the key switch is at fault or the bcm is at fault. (Common problem for this year gm vehicles from what I've been seeing on Dr Google.) My issue is I have no idea how to troubleshoot the issue. Can't find a pin out of the bcm. I'm sure there's some sort of signal wire that can be checked from the key switch.

Did the front axle ujoints today. The Tiger tool came and I had to try it . Worked way better than my press but I had to finesse it to work properly . Even though it says it works on the AAM front differential it’s a tad to small . I’m calling them tomorrow to see if the larger one would work . If so I’ll buy it next time I do the repair View attachment 1047767
Ya they were toast
View attachment 1047768View attachment 1047769
This was the problem couldn’t get a the tool to press out the cap on a straight line . It worked but I’m sure it was binding up a little

View attachment 1047770
The spicer joints are much heavier duty than the cheap Chinese junk I put in a few years ago View attachment 1047771
I believe we have all went cheap on a repair only to regret it later and buy quality parts the second time around. I know I have, well at least we know how to go about the job since it’s been done already.

It looked great to me.
One time I bought beautiful salmon rod(read expensive but with a lifetime warranty), it was a sweet rod and you could feel the bottom and anything on it like you were running your hand down it :sweet: . Then as happens with many good feelings, the good feeling went away, yes I broke it. No problem though, because the company is a great company and I sent my $20 cash(friend got me the guides pricing :)) and the new rod was on the way :clap:. New rod arrived and I put my old one in the tube and sent my new one back shipping pre paid.
A week or so later I get a letter saying that my blank was custom tied and they would only replace the blank, anything over I had to pay for :(. So I contact the local shop that sold it to me and explained what was going on, they assured me they would do absolutely nothing for me as it was a custom tied rod. I asked them if they really thought I'd spend 475 on a rod without a warranty(I specifically looked for a name brand with a warranty and bought it as a lifetime rod) :nofunny:. There were also still rods there that were advertised as the brand i bought, but custom tied. I can promise you, they've lost a lot more business than it would have cost them to just hand me a portion of my cash back so I could have upgraded from a blank to a finished rod.
Important part of the story, I bought it in 95. Yeah it's a lot of money for a rod now, back then...
As for G-loomis, still a big fan, but I haven't spent any money with them in yrs.
I have 3 G-Loomis rods my father handed down that have been excellent. I stepped on the tip of one and snapped it, sent it back after receiving a new one with no hassle at all. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Pretty sure that's Joe's Firewood in the first one :yes:.
The one at 3:20 I've seen, there was nothing funny about it, that guys leg was pinched between the two spars, he'll probably never walk right again, lucky if he can climb a ladder again 😳.
Yea the mountain dew bottle was a dead giveaway 🤣. Surprising how strong some of them roofs are.

The pole barn is 30 x50 my garage at the Wappingers rental is 24x36 biggest I could fit on the lot . I have two bays in the barn (built 1840s) where I live and the temp shelter I’m trying to buy the land adjacent to mine 20 acres to put up a large shop . If that falls through I’ll build on my lot .
I hope you can get that 20 acres to consolidate all your vehicles into one building. That sounds like a great plan.

Back