Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good truck is the one you take care of. I've had good luck with the Fords and there's certain things that keep me favoring them. That being said, you can't really go wrong with any new truck these days. If you're north like me, rust spray every year is essential if you want it to hit the 10 year mark and still not be ashamed of it. I don't know about the aluminum ones because my steel one hasn't worn out yet. It's a 2013 and I'm praying it lasts another 3-4 years till my house is payed for!

Here’s a few pictures of the rod building process. The red wraps were my practice wraps and the blue were final.

This was a lot of fun. I’m excited to try this out because the components on this rod were much more expensive than any rod I’ve ever used. I normally fish with $50-$80 rods and this one cost over $300 just for components.

View attachment 1047662View attachment 1047663View attachment 1047664View attachment 1047665View attachment 1047666View attachment 1047667View attachment 1047668View attachment 1047669View attachment 1047670View attachment 1047671
Very nice work

Why anyone would ever buy a Chevy, i’ve no idea. Biggest

piles of garbage ever
The same could be said about all of the big three. Anyone that has had problems with a certain brand badmouths them. On the good news is that my wife has been driving Honda products and an Acura TL for the last 35 years with no major mechanical problems. Her latest new Accord in 2018 has been flawless. My 2016 Ram 2500 that I bought new in 2017 has not had any mechanical failures so far. Yet if you read the forums there are many people having issues with the Hemi's and transmissions in them.

Lots of inferior metal used in cars these days. The actual Japanese, German built cars, and a few others have superior metal and finishes than much of what is produced here unfortunately. I see so many vehicles newer than yours that make me cringe when I see the rust, especially knowing what they cost new. Then I see older Lexus LS400's(like early 90s) with no rust on them. I know keeping them in a garage and off the grass helps a lot, but when you start with something that's cheaply built they really go fast. Sad seeing any 2010 or newer vehicle with terrible rust.
My excursion was mainly used for pulling a camper in the summer by the guy I got it from. If a guy isn't concerned with having 4wd, then buying something that's hauled a camper around in the summer and is stored in the winter is a good way to go.
Last January I sold a 1999 Volvo convertible with 212k on it that was completely rust free and purred like a kitten.

They really been working on clear cutting down the street with the feller buncher. Most of what I seen was popple. My dad who lives down the street gets all the details from a chatty Kathy across the street. I'm curious to know how much money is being exchanged. They must have a processor because I have not heard any chainsaws doing any limbing or bucking. I know one thing that's gonna be some great grouse hunting for the next 15 yearsView attachment 1047764
I seen another pile of logs from the other road and they had logs stacked maybe 20-30' high it looked crazy like a mountain..hard to get pics because it's so foggy and nasty out here in northern Michigan. Anyone know if popple is in high demand? Looks like that is mostly what the landowner has on his property with some misc oak and maple but I doubt much of it is highly valuable

Finished the Wood getter today . Anti-seize is your friend all I needed to clean the flange was brake clean and a little sandpaper . I didn’t take any pictures of it going back together but it was nice and goopy with silver anti-seize . View attachment 1048026
Never Seize is my best friend on everything I work on.

I don't buy loaded ammo online due to cost and restrictions. Often the best prices on shotgun shells are at Walmart or Cabelas/Bass Pro.

A lot of the smaller stores are just sky-high prices. I would not mind 10 or 20%, but when they are 50-100% higher it gets to be too much.
We call it what it is Price Gouging.

Back