Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We call it what it is Price Gouging.
Amen

Our fleet supply is pretty fair on pricing. Obviously the popular cartridge/gauge ammo sells quickly but that gets people in the door. During the real shortage they limited to 2 boxes per person per day which is a genius move as it gets people back in the store. When I was stocking up on duck hunting steel shot last year I think I went there 19 times in three months lol. Good thing too as my boys got more into hunting and we had the best year of hunting ever so used about half of it!

Amen

Our fleet supply is pretty fair on pricing. Obviously the popular cartridge/gauge ammo sells quickly but that gets people in the door. During the real shortage they limited to 2 boxes per person per day which is a genius move as it gets people back in the store. When I was stocking up on duck hunting steel shot last year I think I went there 19 times in three months lol. Good thing too as my boys got more into hunting and we had the best year of hunting ever so used about half of it!
We've got an Academy Sports around here that has a better selection of shells than Wally World. I ordered some shells from Roger's (I think) several years ago. Great price. Wish I had gotten more at the time. Now they're almost double of what I got them.
as far as restrictions, Sportsman Warehouse must have had a great clearance that I missed. Around $10 a box. The only problem, they don't ship. I would have driven a couple hundred of miles to there store to pick them up :laugh:.

As far as trucks, I go against the trend and have like Dodge for newer pickups. Old trucks, I'm a Chevy fan all the way. My first Dodge was a 4wd 2500 with the 5.7 hemi, it has nearly 190k miles on it when I sold it. The dash completely fell apart early on, but the only things replaced were ball joints, wheel bearings, AC compressor, and power steering pump.

My current Dodge is my 08 4wd 2500 with the 6.7 and a 6 speed manual. It's still low miles(80k,) but the only thing that prematurely failed IMO was the AC compressor(was shot at 50k.) All of the emissions components may or may not have "fallen off." I did have to replace the stock clutch and dual-mass flywheel with a Southbend single disk and solid flywheel. I blame the extra power on failure of the stock unit...I was hauling a freshly cut 4' redwood log and the dual-mass flywheel failed, but the clutch had been slipping ever since the added power.

Aside from a couple of older Rangers, that were solid little pickups, my only Ford experience was with a '15 Focus...I called it a certain 4 letter expletive with a "us" added at the end. It should've been a great commuter car, but it spent more time at the shop for recall/warranty work than it did driving.

Fwd doesn't really work up here for 4 months of the year, and I was absolutely fed up with that POS, so I traded it in on a '18 Tacoma. The Toyota has been a great little pickup, I've already got 65k on it...while still not that many miles, I've done nothing other than oil changes. It's the 4wd, v6, 6 speed manual, rear locker model. It kills it in the snow...I could get by with only having my 2500 in the winter, but the long-bed diesel trucks struggle bad enough in the snow that I'd have to plow my driveway and would have trouble in some of the bad storms. It's just too heavy to overcome some of the steep hills when they have deeper snow.

I should post pictures of the underside of my 2500 later, still has the factory paint on the frame, axles, etc. I'm so glad that salt really doesn't get used here...I think they might have some mixed in that they use on some of the highways, but mostly they just lay cinders down on the state highway. The county road dept just uses sand on everything. My only complaint, is that when we do get nice winter weather, the roads will be covered in too much sand for spirited riding on the street bike.

Trucks: I am related to a GM dealer so I usually drive one of those if I buy modern. I am a big fan of older Fords because you can get them for reasonable where people have paid stupid money for square body Chevys (full disclosure they are my favorites too).

My cousin recently added a Chrysler dealership to his fleet. I LOVE the looks of Dodge trucks but know several folks who have had endless warranty issues with Dodge trucks so I am kind of gunshy. I was thinking after my older kids graduate I might get a Jeep Wranger 4xe or Gladiator when I do not need to seat 6+ any more.

I can't remember if I mentioned. I had looked at trading my two 2013's in on a new vehicle in December. The used car market has softened around here over the last 6 months so it did not make sense to do so. I will continue to drive these (one has 135k and the other 112k) and eventually relegate the quad cab to take over as plow truck...as you can see by the pics further up the page, my current plow truck is on death's door lol.

I buy it to cook with it. But IMO it is the best tasting "cheap" beer out there.
You noticed the 'smiley' face denoting I was kidding. Here in the land of Budweiser, my Brother and I drink Milwaukee's Best Ice. Bud, Bud Light too watered down (and over priced). Ice tastes like Bush, which we like, but Ice has more flavor (and a lot cheaper... not that I drink a lot :laugh: ).

You noticed the 'smiley' face denoting I was kidding. Here in the land of Budweiser, my Brother and I drink Milwaukee's Best Ice. Bud, Bud Light too watered down (and over priced). Ice tastes like Bush, which we like, but Ice has more flavor (and a lot cheaper... not that I drink a lot :laugh: ).
All good!

I prefer Michelob Golden Light but most pilsners and lagers are good by me. No thanks to IPA...one should not have to pay extra for bitter beer lol.

"Other Stuff" here. Where do you guys buy your ammo online? Specifically looking for hunting shotgun shells, both lead and steel.
I use Graff and Sons. No problem shipping any of my rifle ammo into MD. They charge a one time shipping fee. It used to be $7.95. If you bought one box, it was $7.95 shipping, one case, $7.95 shipping. One pallet, $7.95 shipping. Plus, if you have a C&R they give you commercial discounts. The C&R is a collectors license that allows you to purchase pretty much any gun and have it shipped to your door, that is 50 years old or older. So, now if it was made in 1973 or older it ships to your door. The license is $30 for 3 years. So one transfer fee would pay for the license, which means you don't pay transfer fees anymore.

The art of loading a stove . Going to be away from home till this eve . I usually add one or two every few hours and run it hot during the day , 5 big pieces of oak . If I was loading for the night all the voids would be filled with small splits View attachment 1048200View attachment 1048201
Stopped at my neighbors. He had to show me his diamond in the rough. 1972. Tires were the only thing good on it as far as I could see. :crazy2:
20230112_142138.jpg

Back