Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna be hard to do with tracks or wheeled units 😆.
Naaaa. Piece of cake!👍 If I can log a few thousand board foot a day by hand with a 400cc four wheeler and a 3'x5'x16" aluminum box on wheels. I'll make it rain timber onto the landing with a skid steer brother! Watch! Im a Cuttter not a gypo logger, but I never said I don't know how to gypo log!😉

Anyone familiar with quadrajet? Carb on the 81 Jimmy is starting to act up. Thinking it might be time to swap a edelbrock on it.
The Quad is a speadbore carb . You will either need an adapter or change out the manifold to put a square bore carb on the motor . I have 2 trucks with the quad still as they were professionaly rebuilt and run well , my 72 has an edelbrock 1406 which I prefer over the quadrajet. The quadrajet is a great carb when it's set up correctly.
What's you truck doing ?

Feel like I am learning a lot about tractors and skid steers, both wheeled and tracked. I will however be spending more time sneaking into barns to have a look see now.
yeah, me, too! - i won't be buying any skid steers with over 3K hrs on them... stay clear of painted mudovers... and hour meters that appear dusty and low time! lol...

and definitely don't want no equipment that breaks every time i start it up!

still a bit hung up on the tractor over skid steer debate, though!!!

:drinkingcoffee:

For my wood processing, a tractor is way to clumsy. I like to see bucket cutting edge. And for moving snow it is way faster, than my loader tractor. Also is way easier to get though the woods. I do haul it in dump trailer.
down here we don't use them much to move snow, but do move some ice occasionally....
1674224946218.png

Naaaa. Piece of cake!👍 If I can log a few thousand board foot a day by hand with a 400cc four wheeler and a 3'x5'x16" aluminum box on wheels. I'll make it rain timber onto the landing with a skid steer brother! Watch! Im a Cuttter not a gypo logger, but I never said I don't know how to gypo log!😉
i had to look that one up! i am not a gypo either, just an urban f'wood scrounger. the easier, the better!!! 🤩

>I'll make it rain timber onto the landing with a skid steer brother! Watch!

i wanted to ask!! but, i guess at $48K a copy, used... something better fly like SM cutting timber into boards! ;)

:drinkingcoffee:

What do you think about a track over wheel skid steer fir woods applications Sean?
I have used tire tracks once. Bear claws i think they were called. Steel tracks. I wasn't a huge fan of them. Couldn't seem to get them tensioned right, had the tires spin in them a few times. It could have very well just been me, but my Forman (excellent equipment operator. ) hated them as well and we ended up renting a tracked machine for that specific job. Won't lie, once you've used a tracked machine it's hard to jump back in a wheeled one and get the same work done. (Off road specially, on road is a different ballgame all together)

Not if it doesn't have a backup camera.
Main reason I bought my kubota L3800 is because the price was awesome, but the main reason I was looking at tractors in the first place is because with the kids around I wanted 360 view so I didn't run one over. You can put a camera on for cheap enough these days that it's not a big outlay, but comparing apples to apples(or sort of anyway), visibility of those around you is another pro of a tractor.
Not sure about the ground speed of a skid, I know some are pretty fast these days, but both my tractors move along pretty good. I surely wouldn't want to travel any distance on one if I didn't have to.
Edit, top speed of the bobcat s175 is 11mph and the Kubota L3800 is 13, not fun going top speed on/in either unless the ground/road is very smooth.

An issue with a wheeled unit here is traction in sand, you better know what your doing, or you'll be on the belly pan in no time, tracked unit does fine though.
I have to agree with some of your point, but only when working around people, which you, (we, I'm just as guilty) shouldn't really be doing in the first place. Other then rear view you'll get just about as good a side view (lift arm type can be a factor.) And much better frontal view with the skid steer. I 100% agree about roading skids or tractors suck. Did a lot of both at the township. You don't realize how long it takes to get somewhere till your going sub 20mph .

mine is smaller, but i :heart: my MF! :heart: my NH, too!
both start up each time i ask, and nothing ever breaks! 😋
My cousin has a late 90-early 2000 Massey. It's a decent little tractor, but parts have been a bear for him to get. He had some issues with the charge pump in the hydro. They found the part number but it was unavailable to order. No replacement hydro available either. He ended up finding another tractor at a junk yard that had the right parts. Was kinda irritating for him.

Im not Sean, but..... NOOOOOO. Its just not in the realm of practical. How about splinters between the track and the tire..... NAWT.
🤔 You really think it that bad of decision hu? What's your opinion on CTL under carriage and track assembly maintenance and maintenance costs vs rubber track over tire?

My cousin has a late 90-early 2000 Massey. It's a decent little tractor, but parts have been a bear for him to get. He had some issues with the charge pump in the hydro. They found the part number but it was unavailable to order. No replacement hydro available either. He ended up finding another tractor at a junk yard that had the right parts. Was kinda irritating for him.
that is just it! i have run into it, too. part is obsolete! or over priced. i made my own tach drive cable... and skipped the $175 MF over the counter sc-w job! $12! but, i know i am only one part failure away from a boat anchor... sans a scrounge at a tractor junk yard...

Latest posts

Back