Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because when you mill it, it makes lumber like this,

Resized-20221109-163141-S.jpg

AND, then you can make things like the clock I made below.

But most of all, many places are running out of cherry and the day is coming when there won't be any "decent" cherry left to mill, this I'm sure of!

SR
zzzzxcc.jpe

yup! he's a woodworker!

nice :)

No worries bro. Yea February looking cold. But it's Michigan they can't figure out what it's gonna do tomorrow let alone a few weeks from now. I seen pics of people's flowers like tulips and daffodils coming up downstate 😳
got my bulbs in....
P1010005.JPGP1010004.JPG

Well, Yesterday in town. I finally broke down and bought the materials to finish the skiding arch. Its only been a year! 🤣 Im kinda tossed where to weld the choker chain hook?IMG_20230121_222356041.jpgIMG_20230121_222347401.jpg

Also, do I make it a fixed stationary tongue or adjustable telescopic? 🤔 IMG_20230121_221945529_HDR.jpgIMG_20230121_222130155.jpgI already see bigger tires needed.🤨 Its a certainty!

Whats the make and displacement of a CS590?

I've got a couple Granbergs myself got my first one some years ago in 98 I believe. I hesitate to call them "mills"as they are so slow. I Refer to them as chain saw lumber making jigs. When I was younger in 98/99. I was 22-23 at the time. I Framed a 24' x 16' cabin with a sleeping loft out of rough cut Spruce lumber and sided it with red cedar lumber from beach logs. 👍 All milled with my 32" Granberg running an 066 pushing a 36" bar. I saved and used all the saw waste fir insulation Boy, that whole building project was a lot of work! The Cedar beach wood was horribly tough to mill because of all the jig set up and jig break break down time! I had to swap chains every pass because of the beach sand in the wood until I had a cant squared off! Anyone who's used an Alaska Mill knows the work involved Im talking about!. It was fun and I was younger and with me high school sweetheart so it was all good!👍

Id hav to say the funnest part about the project was felling and bucking the old WW2 abandoned power line creosote power poles for foundation piles. Then skidded them out the half mile through the swamp to get them to the old WW2 military road where my truck was. View attachment 1050577View attachment 1050578

I started in the fall of 98 just before the ground froze. View attachment 1050581
View attachment 1050582

We were living in the 16' x 16' by the middle of winter Come spring I did the 8' x 16' addition.View attachment 1050584View attachment 1050586

Interior and exterior chainsaw milled Red Cedar Siding. The only thing I bought was the nails, plywood skin, and rolled asphalt roofing. Used saw waste fir insulation. 👍View attachment 1050587

I treated the exterior siding with linseed oil.
View attachment 1050588
I learned at a young age. One must be the Jack of all trades When living remote in Alaska. Even if he's the master on none. (☝️Me, I'm guilty🤣) Be very rich, starve, or freeze. Those are your options!

Its STIHL standing and livable today! On my high school sweethearts parents property right down the road from my current property!👍 Her dead beat brother lives in it! 🤣🤣🤣 The sweethearts candle fire burnt out long ago. She's done been long gone fir over Twenty years. Married with Children.👍 That's how it is big time'n in a small town! 🤣😉

Im very grateful fir the power saw time and experience Ive aquired over the years. When I'm doing tree work for someone. They will often say "man your saw cuts fast! I want mine to cut like that! How come it doesn't? How do I get it to?" I just smile shurk my shoulders and say "Im not sure but Id start by making sure its sharp every time you pick it up to use it and every time you put it away. That's what I do" Then its usually a blank stare and an "Oh" 🤣🤣🤣
awesome! enjoyed the show!!! thanks for the family foto album glimpses!! nice job!

seems u r a bit of a wood worker, too! 👍 i like the haul out pix.... omg

Whats the make and displacement of a CS590?

I've got a couple Granbergs myself got my first one some years ago in 98 I believe. I hesitate to call them "mills"as they are so slow. I Refer to them as chain saw lumber making jigs. When I was younger in 98/99. I was 22-23 at the time. I Framed a 24' x 16' cabin with a sleeping loft out of rough cut Spruce lumber and sided it with red cedar lumber from beach logs. 👍 All milled with my 32" Granberg running an 066 pushing a 36" bar. I saved and used all the saw waste fir insulation Boy, that whole building project was a lot of work! The Cedar beach wood was horribly tough to mill because of all the jig set up and jig break break down time! I had to swap chains every pass because of the beach sand in the wood until I had a cant squared off! Anyone who's used an Alaska Mill knows the work involved Im talking about!. It was fun and I was younger and with me high school sweetheart so it was all good!👍

Id hav to say the funnest part about the project was felling and bucking the old WW2 abandoned power line creosote power poles for foundation piles. Then skidded them out the half mile through the swamp to get them to the old WW2 military road where my truck was. View attachment 1050577View attachment 1050578

I started in the fall of 98 just before the ground froze. View attachment 1050581
View attachment 1050582

We were living in the 16' x 16' by the middle of winter Come spring I did the 8' x 16' addition.View attachment 1050584View attachment 1050586

Interior and exterior chainsaw milled Red Cedar Siding. The only thing I bought was the nails, plywood skin, and rolled asphalt roofing. Used saw waste fir insulation. 👍View attachment 1050587

I treated the exterior siding with linseed oil.
View attachment 1050588
I learned at a young age. One must be the Jack of all trades When living remote in Alaska. Even if he's the master on none. (☝️Me, I'm guilty🤣) Be very rich, starve, or freeze. Those are your options!

Its STIHL standing and livable today! On my high school sweethearts parents property right down the road from my current property!👍 Her dead beat brother lives in it! 🤣🤣🤣 The sweethearts candle fire burnt out long ago. She's done been long gone fir over Twenty years. Married with Children.👍 That's how it is big time'n in a small town! 🤣😉

Im very grateful fir the power saw time and experience Ive aquired over the years. When I'm doing tree work for someone. They will often say "man your saw cuts fast! I want mine to cut like that! How come it doesn't? How do I get it to?" I just smile shurk my shoulders and say "Im not sure but Id start by making sure its sharp every time you pick it up to use it and every time you put it away. That's what I do" Then its usually a blank stare and an "Oh" 🤣🤣🤣
zzzzxsm.jpe
i bet SM likes that siding job....

Was up insulating the cabin Thurs + Fri, so I'm almost 20 pages behind, and with tax season rapidly approaching, I don't see me catching up, so if there is anything important that I missed, please let me know.

No pics, but I'll be up again this Fri. (hopefully). S/B a good snowfall about then up there. Got about an inch up there on Fri., there was nothing down at the bottom. They are predicting about 10" (on the bottom) this Fri., so we may see a good amount up on the hill. I'm 2 miles in on a dirt logging road that does not get plowed.
naw, MM... nothing at all! ;)

Most definitely! However, Id have to say I have a little bit more envy twords your cabin due to its size and your age when you built it! 🤣🤣 Don't get me wrong. Im not saying you were old! Im just saying you weren't 22! 😉 Definitely much respect Mustang!👍
i :heart: backwoods, off grid cabin builds!... i must have watched D Proenneke build his a zillion times... never gets old!

Well As I contemplated the skiding arch while sip'n barley pop. And crying over the price of a bottle of argon! IMG_20230121_221452759.jpgI also played a few blues riffs on my Mississippi saxophone and finally finished teaching myself how to play Gordon Light foots "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" as well as "Sundown" Its been a good day!👍
Good night Gentleman!

Definitely won't be towing my trailer to town with a Tractor. Not if I want to get there in less than 12 hours. I'll be using a pickup with an eight foot bed and raised side boards. That way I can haul three cord a haul when trucking a sale to town. Won't have to stack it in the truck or trailer either. Witch will make a ton of money over time being money is time and time is money! One cord pilled in the one ton. Two piled in the trailer.👍 $1000 gross per trip, being as a cord is selling at a premium right now on the Island.
you gotta get the skidder first... :popcorn2:

hey, i like that lil welding job u r fabbing up! did u weld the hook yet?
what did u do with all that lumber u cut up? house add-ons? maybe for the shop?

Well As I contemplated the skiding arch while sip'n barley pop. And crying over the price of a bottle of argon. View attachment 1050720I also played a few blues riffs on my Mississippi saxophone and finally finished teaching myself how to play Gordon Light foots "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" as well as "Sundown" Its been a good day!👍
Good night Gentleman!
i need a gallon of laquer thinner! cleaner, etc. QB said... now $30/gallon. last time i looked was $19 or so... less with A-z points. i used to buy 5 gallons Lowes $49.00!

awesome! enjoyed the show!!! thanks for the family foto album glimpses!! nice job!

seems u r a bit of a wood worker, too! 👍 i like the haul out pix.... omg
Structural wood framer yes. Definitely wouldn't call myself a wood worker! 🤔 I mean I work in the woods,🤷 so maybe I am! Wait no! Ok yes. Wait... "big sigh" Dang it!!!🤦 I'm tired of you guys making me second guess myself!!!

Goodnight!!!

Structural wood framer yes. Definitely wouldn't call myself a wood worker! 🤔 I mean I work in the woods,🤷 so maybe I am! Wait no! Ok yes. Wait... "big sigh" Dang it!!!🤦 I'm tired of you guys making me second guess myself!!!

Goodnight!!!
1674379920949.png

you gotta get the skidder first... :popcorn2:

hey, i like that lil welding job u r fabbing up! did u weld the hook yet?
what did u do with all that lumber u cut up? house add-ons? maybe for the shop?
Skid steer is on its way to Seattle! Loaded out of Pennsylvania yesterday morning. 👍

Sold the lumber! Its how I made a living for a couple years! Power saw milling! Barley made both ends of the candle meet! Kinda hard to when both ends are burning! 🤣

we have across one of the neighborhood streets a large oak limb... it is 90 to the trunk and parallel to the road. i am amazed the joint can carry the weight! so far, so good. those wood cells have some powerful stuff in them to keep the tension under wraps!

I-
well, u get the idea
Growing up we had a 3' Maple in our side yard with a 10" horizontal branch. I used that branch to swap out at least 6 motors during my younger days before I got married.

IF you were a woodworker, you wouldn't have to ask.

SR
The logger that did dads farm took a couple of the biggest cherry trees but we have so many that are sub par for milling that we just make farwood out of them. I sell it as "Holiday" firewood at a premium because of the smell.

Latest posts

Back