Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I know some of you guys are wondering what kind of skid I got. Without out getting into a ten page debate again. (Witch was actually pretty fun and entertaining considering) I'll let you know what I got. I got a very low hour pre imisions machine fir a good price considering hours and the fact pre imisions are selling at a premium right now. I got the machine I could afford and that I know I can sell here on the Island for probably more than what I paid for it if I don't like it. I got the machine that I think will suit me best as a first time starting skid steer. I got a machine I feel is much faster and more mauverable than a tractor for what I intend on doing. I got the Bob Cat S175 240 hour machine that I was looking at three days ago. Yup! I stuck to my gun decks gentleman! If it works out for me it works out. If it doesn't? I'll be the first to let you guys that disagree on my decision how I like my crow prepared. I will also say Im already talking to dealers on getting a pair of high quality rubber tracks , tire chains, and possibly even some semi pneumatic tiers. My neighbor, good friend, and retired heavy equipment operator that has lots of time in a skid. Seems to feel that it will work fine fir what I want to do, so we will see. As far as rough riding? 🤔 Well, I guess its a good thing Im not a candy a**! 😉

Its a clean tight low enough hour machine that I didn't have to wonder how well it was taken care of. Or fly down to look at it first before making a decision. Witch is a big deal for me to have to do!

View attachment 1050892View attachment 1050893View attachment 1050894

cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍
Good for you KK. I see now, pre emissions good. Cab pretty dang good, foot controls, well, two out of three aint bad. You will be very happy, One more (unsolicited) piece of advice for the moment. Don't be grabbing 20' long sticks sideays in the grapple, and want to walk it through the woods to load it, keep the sticks less long, you dont need to be cantilevering alot on either side of your COG. You just got an enormous labor saver, so its will be okay to cut firewood sticks down to smaller lengths. If its going to be a saw log, drag that thing, and deal with the mud in the bark later. Seen a few too many warp the Arms and Grapple attachment ruined trying to carry too much cantilevered, and too much speed.

PS- buy, dont make, a couple of QA plates you can add on yourself, to make specific tools to connect with.

Congrats- but dont overload it, OK KK?????

I'm thinking @Backyard Lumberjack out on one of his bike rides and found a scrounge " down the street ". :rock2:
today i plan to go get a load of scrounged oak! several stops to make... just down the street! one a windfall, one a widowmaker that made it to the ground safely... and one from the 'rains oak here!' neighbor... got my 'everyday' saw ready to go! (finally) had to fix chain. sharpen. froze up tighter than winter's freeze up in Frozen North... it finally yielded!! :cool: my scrounged tow tug prime mover, green yard kart for the sections... and my scrounged dump tool kart... saws, fuel, tools, gloves, PPE, etc. prob close to a cord. free :envy:, free :givebeer: and free firewood! 👍

BL's firewood scrounging train... complete with caboose!
P1010019.JPG

>FS:I'm thinking @Backyard Lumberjack out on one of his bike rides and found a scrounge " down the street ". :rock2:

scouts out for scrounges on bike rides, then takes out the wood train! well, that is the new plan...
:drinkingcoffee:

today i plan to go get a load of scrounged oak! several stops to make... just down the street! one a windfall, one a widowmaker that made it to the ground safely... and one from the 'rains oak here!' neighbor... got my 'everyday' saw ready to go! (finally) had to fix chain. sharpen. froze up tighter than winter's freeze up in Frozen North... it finally yielded!! :cool: my scrounged tow tug prime mover, green yard kart for the sections... and my scrounged dump tool kart... saws, fuel, tools, gloves, PPE, etc. prob close to a cord. free :envy:, free :givebeer: and free firewood! 👍

BL's firewood scrounging train... complete with caboose!
View attachment 1051154
And you can eat ur weedies along the way!

Yup that be him! Toasty in his cabin 40° inside during the winter. He eventually got a wood stove that was a big heating improvement he said.👍
that is amazing. i remember reading about his toasty insides, too. i was outside nite before... 44 and i thot of mr P... and i said to me" ha, this is not my idea of warm and cozy! lol

but, then again... i had not just come in from a -40f hike in snowshoes... areas where one has to climb mountain tops just to get into the warm sun... Twin Lakes, AK in winter... :cold:
but i sure would like to do some ski flying there.....

1674492233588.png

I love cod! Waaaay more than halibut or rockfish! 👍 Every commercial fisherman I've ever worked with, or even know will agree! You can count on that!😉
tasty for sure! i finished off the rest of the catfish... then i thot: :wtf:
and finished of the cod last nite, too!. still got rest of the haddock to go tonite.
P1010027.JPGP1010028.JPGP1010033.JPGP1010036.JPG
melt in mouth delicious! :yes:

We are getting snow, it is just starting to accumulate, may have to put the plow back on the ATV (removed it a month ago to bring it up to the cabin).

We are near a record # of days for no snow at this time of year.

My upstate property got some on Fri that is still there, but there was nothing down here. But the rain this morning has now changed over to snow!

Pennsy skid steer! They are the toughest, and fastest, and have the best paint, and never rust, or get flat tires...

What did you end up getting, I must've missed it, and from where in Pennsy?

Glad you got something. I was gonna say you were getting analysis paralysis.
well, there ya go!

guess he got the right Rx for it, eh? ;)

Well, I see I missed 28 pages in the last five days. If anything monumental happened please let me know otherwise I’m not going to read them.

Hope all is well with you guys. I’m just on my way home from a Lions Club conference. I really didn’t want to go because I’ve been so busy lately, but I’m glad that I did. They really do amazing things both locally and around the world.

I have a little work to do this afternoon and then head home and maybe take my son out for dinner as I owe him birthday dinner.
hi svk - not much, just some great pix, quips... and The Great Skidder/Tractor Debate! ~

4x4 in 4low with the trans in low gear with most likely a 4:11 front and rear gear ratio maybe 4:56 . It was moving at its max speed engine was probably red lining or exceeding it . They didn’t show it overheating after a few minutes :laugh:
guess the paper clutches held up... :popcorn2:

This commercial is fishy... I don't think I saw a single level road in the Rockies or Cascades when I rode my bicycle from CO to WA... Though the 108 miles from Lolo Pass, ID to Kamiah, ID seemed pretty flat, it in fact dropped about 4,140 feet in elevation. When was the last time you had a 100+ mile down hill ride on a bicycle? :)

P.S. That stretch runs through Lowell, ID... I remember it well as in a moment of inattention I drifted over the fog line and crashed in the rip rap... tore up my left knee and cracked some ribs. Being miles from no where I cleaned up my knee and put New Skin on the worst areas and Neosporin on the rest. Kept riding... Found advice on Web MD or some other similar site that suggested laying on the broken ribs while sleeping so they didn't move. That allowed me to sleep... my son can attest to how badly I hurt in the mornings!

View attachment 1050882
never done that! but i have done over 100 miles downhill in a jet... at about 450kts... din't take long at all! ;)

quite the bike ride!, for sure. i ride mine often. mite have that many miles in by now. couple day by day. so, is there a story behind such a ride! fix? that is amazing... and thru the rockies, too up to WA... 👍 many flats to fix roadside?

We are getting snow, it is just starting to accumulate, may have to put the plow back on the ATV (removed it a month ago to bring it up to the cabin).

We are near a record # of days for no snow at this time of year.

My upstate property got some on Fri that is still there, but there was nothing down here. But the rain this morning has now changed over to snow!
It's been a snowy season up the hill from me, mostly rain(4k' at my house) but we've gotten are fair share of snow too. The local ski resort is at over 30' of snow for the season with a packed base of 13'+ at the moment. The highway going up there is closed, because of high winds...below is the wind speeds for the last 12 hours:

FnK0O1uaEAE7h8p

@svk when u find out all u missed u will be sorry u didn't catch up. @chipper1 KK cancelled the elephant order after the killer elephant posting. It's been a wild ride on here lately.
I didn't know if I should ride my tractor or go buy a skid steer. I woke up this morning from a dream where my tracks came off. :cry:
LOL, and now with and other stuff... the theme of this thread is always getting...

off trax! 🤩

Back