Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never done that! but i have done over 100 miles downhill in a jet... at about 450kts... din't take long at all! ;)

quite the bike ride!, for sure. i ride mine often. mite have that many miles in by now. couple day by day. so, is there a story behind such a ride! fix? that is amazing... and thru the rockies, too up to WA... 👍 many flats to fix roadside?
I've done a number of long bicycle tours ranging from 8 days to 3 1/2 months. About 8,600 miles of them so far. The last one was last summer, about 1,200 miles, from the Hudson Valley to Niagara Falls to Cleveland to Canton to Pittsburgh to Washington DC... used the roads along with canalway and rail trails. Rode from FL to NY a couple times via different routes too. I need at least one more long one to meet my 10,000 miles of touring goal. 😉 Though I'm obviously older with each trip they seem to get easier as I don't really stress over anything... it is what it is and there are no time constraints anymore! The worst days make for the best stories... and I try not to complain while looking for adventure and finding it. 😉

I've done a number of long bicycle tours ranging from 8 days to 3 1/2 months. About 8,600 miles of them so far. The last one was last summer, about 1,200 miles, f. 😉 Though I'm obviously older with each trip they seem to get easier as I don't really stress over anything... it is what it is and there are no time constraints anymore! The worst days make for the best stories... and I try not to complain while looking for adventure and finding it. 😉
i am impressed! and to think i thot those guys who did 150 mile weekend trips did something! sounds like a great epilogue to Route 66! :)

It's been a snowy season up the hill from me, mostly rain(4k' at my house) but we've gotten are fair share of snow too. The local ski resort is at over 30' of snow for the season with a packed base of 13'+ at the moment. The highway going up there is closed, because of high winds...below is the wind speeds for the last 12 hours:

FnK0O1uaEAE7h8p
It's been another non-event here. Been raining/snowing since last evening and there is next to no accumulation left. That as when the snow does accumulate the rain wipes it out...

So I know some of you guys are wondering what kind of skid I got. Without out getting into a ten page debate again. (Witch was actually pretty fun and entertaining considering) I'll let you know what I got. I got a very low hour pre imisions machine fir a good price considering hours and the fact pre imisions are selling at a premium right now. I got the machine I could afford and that I know I can sell here on the Island for probably more than what I paid for it if I don't like it. I got the machine that I think will suit me best as a first time starting skid steer. I got a machine I feel is much faster and more mauverable than a tractor for what I intend on doing. I got the Bob Cat S175 240 hour machine that I was looking at three days ago. Yup! I stuck to my gun decks gentleman! If it works out for me it works out. If it doesn't? I'll be the first to let you guys that disagree on my decision how I like my crow prepared. I will also say Im already talking to dealers on getting a pair of high quality rubber tracks , tire chains, and possibly even some semi pneumatic tiers. My neighbor, good friend, and retired heavy equipment operator that has lots of time in a skid. Seems to feel that it will work fine fir what I want to do, so we will see. As far as rough riding? 🤔 Well, I guess its a good thing Im not a candy a**! 😉

Its a clean tight low enough hour machine that I didn't have to wonder how well it was taken care of. Or fly down to look at it first before making a decision. Witch is a big deal for me to have to do!

View attachment 1050892View attachment 1050893View attachment 1050894

cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍
why would it be a 10 page debate? bot is bot! done deal...

wheels to trax! i like that. :) like a float plane... wheels, skis... and floats for summer!

hope u enjoy your new pc equipment. i like the cabin and low hrs....

My first tractor was a 2wd kubota with a loader and a manual trans, I think it had 900 hrs on it.
I knew going into it that I wanted one with 4wd and a hydrostatic trans, but I figured I needed to start somewhere since I had never even ran a tractor, and for the price I knew I'd be able to sell it for a profit when I was ready to upgrade(read had more cash). I rushed out to get it in a snowstorm on the aluminum trailer I posted a picture of above, toasted a bearing doing it, but I knew I needed to act on it fast. I fixed a battery cable, hydraulic hose to the loader, and put a new seat on it, then sold it a couple months later after getting some use out of it for a nice profit. Having owned it I was able to drive it and learn I also wanted power steering, and that I liked the size, but I didn't think I'd be able to afford a similar sized one with the options I wanted anytime soon :(.
View attachment 1050900

Then guess what I found... I sold the one above on a Thursday and bought this beauty on Saturday for half the price of what they sold for new with only 88hrs(it was 87 when I went to look at it, but I had to move some hay around for the seller before taking it), and it was only 2 yrs old :happy: .
View attachment 1050901
I see I also had my wood under a tarp in the above picture, just like with equipment, I guess we have to start somewhere, and a wheeled skid will have to do for you lol.
Future site of the woodshed, made possible by the new to me Kubota L3800 :).
Look forward to watching your progress, congrats on the new beast:cheers:.
PS, maybe you could buy some orange paint to fix up all those problem areas I see, you know, the white part 🤣.
kinda like my NH.... couple yrs old with 75 hrs on it... tractor shed kept, heated... and had never pulled a shredder! :heart: it! perfect for light farm/ranch work... and doubles once in a while as a ice cooler.
:givebeer:

Hopefully they didn't tear it up too bad in that amount of time, but then again I think mine only has like 184hrs, at least on the meter, it stopped working yrs ago lol.
Look at all that paint missing off the bucket :crazy2:.

that saw talks! 👍

rusty bucket, paint chips!... prob good thing he asked all those questions? too bad he din't before... lol

Have you seen the machine before! Do you know who owned it? Was he good on equipment? Did he tear his equipment up? Was he responsible? Was he irresponsible? Was it garage kept? Was it stored outside? Is there water in the fuel tank from condensation? Was the fuel tank always pressed when not running? Was the machine...
probably! but u can drain it. do the filter, too! ;)

We are getting snow, it is just starting to accumulate, may have to put the plow back on the ATV (removed it a month ago to bring it up to the cabin).

We are near a record # of days for no snow at this time of year.

My upstate property got some on Fri that is still there, but there was nothing down here. But the rain this morning has now changed over to snow!
Got about 4 inches so far . 78566D8F-EE59-4818-A73B-D34A126772C9.jpeg067EDDFC-E590-451F-89B6-A7A881C3C1FA.jpeg

i am impressed! and to think i thot those guys who did 150 mile weekend trips did something! sounds like a great epilogue to Route 66! :)
I've had a number of 100+ mile days while on trips... The last day of a FL to NY trip I rode 106 (108??) miles and for much of it it was snowing from East Stroudsburg through the Delaware Water Gap up to about Ellenville, NY... At a diner in Wurtsboro everybody in the place... staff and customers alike had their eyes on me. Between burning calories riding and staying warm I was hungry. Had a turkey club with fries, a bowl of chili with crackers, a couple sodas and a couple candy bars. Ate a whole large cheese pizza and 2 liters of soda when I got home. If you like to eat long trips are great! 🤪

Back