Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF and that is a big if…ford had put a metal timing gear that BOLTS onto that 300 I’d agree it was their best engine ever. What an absolute PITA to change that stupid pressed on fiber gear.

I've had them go 300k.
Very easy to work on. Adequate power, extreme reliability, cheap to rebuild. I drove one from Phx to Homer and then all over Kodiak for a year. Still going strong.
I drove a 7.3 PS for 16 years. That was a great engine but needed a little more boost than the stock set up was. I replaced my turbo and ran mine at 22 psi. Really woke it up. The brakes on the 2000-2002 were woefully under sized. My only gripe

Looking for a rim sprocket for a MS 170. Do AM rim sprockets fit other brands clutch drums? Or do I have to buy the same brand spare rim sprockets as the brand of clutch drum i go with?
They should. Just a heads up, Stihl used at least a couple different spline diameters for rim sprockets.

Looking for a rim sprocket for a MS 170. Do AM rim sprockets fit other brands clutch drums? Or do I have to buy the same brand spare rim sprockets as the brand of clutch drum i go with?
Stihl uses a slightly different size than everyone else. Or at least they did as of a couple years back.

They should. Just a heads up, Stihl used at least a couple different spline diameters for rim sprockets.
Different diameters for different saw models? If I get one for a 170, it should fit?

Another question, I have a 6T 3/8 pitch spur sprocket on now. I want to go to a rim sprocket. I only see 7T 3/8 pitch rim sprockets. Will that work?

Different diameters for different saw models? If I get one for a 170, it should fit?

Another question, I have a 6T 3/8 pitch spur sprocket on now. I want to go to a rim sprocket. I only see 7T 3/8 pitch rim sprockets. Will that work?
Yeah, smaller saws got smaller diameter splines on the clutch...so a 170 should work.

As far as rim sprockets, that 7t is for 3/8LP(picco) chain right? It should work as long as it's picco.

I forget what the spur sprocket size is on my 201t. If it's a 6T, that saw would do really well with a 7 pin.

I didn't even know they made splined drums fir a 170 or fir micro chain fir that matter. Give Madsen's a call. They may have exactly what your look'n fir. If not, they could probably point you in the right direction.

Yeah, smaller saws got smaller diameter splines on the clutch...so a 170 should work.

As far as rim sprockets, that 7t is for 3/8LP(picco) chain right? It should work as long as it's picco.

I forget what the spur sprocket size is on my 201t. If it's a 6T, that saw would do really well with a 7 pin.
Yes it's Pico chain. It came with a 0.043 B&C that I accidentally replaced with a 0.050 B&C. Well I need to also replace the B&C as well as sprocket on this saw. Any reason to go back to a 0.043 on that saw?

I kid about it. I like Stihls. I have seen lots of nice saws from several other brands. If they get the job done that's all that matters. I Stihl plan on acting like Stihl snob cause I can.
Feel free to bash me and my Stihl saws if you can't take a joke or even if you can. :popcorn2:
9:4 ratio…Stihl:Husky… would be 9:5 but that’s a really long story…

Yes it's Pico chain. It came with a 0.043 B&C that I accidentally replaced with a 0.050 B&C. Well I need to also replace the B&C as well as sprocket on this saw. Any reason to go back to a 0.043 on that saw?
If you get the narrow kerf .043 that has the narrower cutter, there's a little performance bump. The downside to the .043 chain is that it isn't as robust as the .050. I run .050 on my 201t...my 2511t runs .043 and it's really easy to damage that chain if you start cutting willy-nilly with it. I've had to replace loops of the .043 chain that still had plenty of cutter life left, but had damaged tie straps and drive links.

I'm a bit jealous of the 242...if one had popped up for a good price(or a Stihl 241) I would've gone down that route instead of the 543 clone saw.

I ran a 242 like this one a lot back in the 90's, now I've got a couple ms241's....
I'm looking forward to some side by side comparison limbing some of these doggone cedars.

IMG_20230223_181426.jpg

Latest posts

Back