Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pasture spruce that I threw in a pile for later splitting.

sypy2ezu.jpg

ymyqy3yp.jpg

4u2aheqe.jpg

Remind me to bring the hydro splitter home next time I have a load of this stuff.
Sure hope them knots have a high btu value lol

I went back today and got most of that big log. The Dolmar was not acting right, so it was up to the little 250 to buck the log. She snorted and gnawed her way through that oak like a Champ!
Getting it on the trailer was the hardest part! I must of looked like a monkey humpin' a football rolling the wood up the ramp into the trailer. My cutting buddy there had a great time playing in the mud. It made me happy to see her leave a Nintendo dsi in the seat of the Forester and play in the mud! That house in the picture got damaged in a tornado.

I got rained out splitting today, but I brought home the wood!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402267096224.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402267096224.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 95
Nice load of wood, hope you get your saw problems worked out, no fun when that happens.

Yea, I'm happy when I get my Grandsons off the computer games now & then, but sometimes it is tough to do.

Luckily tornadoes are infrequent around here, but when they do come seems like nothing is safe. My upstate property got hit about 15-20 years ago, took out about 40% of my trees. If they were in the path they either went down or a few stood, but died from the damage. None of them "won". Glad I was not there when it happened.

I'm located in Bethany, MO. It's in the northwest corner of the state. I'm looking to scrounge wood for my wood stove going in my new shop andd give some away to elderly folks that still burn wood. I'm thinking a card would be a good idea. I already have some made up for my knife business, but if I were to make new ones specifically for scrounging, what would you put on them? I may sell a cord or two just to cover maintenance and fuel. Just wondered what an ideal scroungers card should have on it? I know name and contact info but is there anything else I should describe so I don't come off sounding like a big time logger? Heck, I've only got a 55 husky with a 20" bar on it and a 16" earthquake.

I agree with Dancan, all you really need is to give them your name and a number to be reached at. You could hand write " wood removal" on your business cards when you give one out, just to remind them.

I'm located in Bethany, MO. It's in the northwest corner of the state. I'm looking to scrounge wood for my wood stove going in my new shop andd give some away to elderly folks that still burn wood. I'm thinking a card would be a good idea. I already have some made up for my knife business, but if I were to make new ones specifically for scrounging, what would you put on them? I may sell a cord or two just to cover maintenance and fuel. Just wondered what an ideal scroungers card should have on it? I know name and contact info but is there anything else I should describe so I don't come off sounding like a big time logger? Heck, I've only got a 55 husky with a 20" bar on it and a 16" earthquake.

Come across a good enough score, give you a good excuse to get a 70-90 cc saw!

Heck, I bet you could swap for one with one of your custom knives in the tradin post here.

Man, it is still raining today! This is the wettest spring/summer I can remember. If any of you are in the central Arkansas area and want to come cut wood (in the tornado damage that is west of Little Rock), shoot me a PM and I will try and get you pointed in the right direction There is one old fella out here (no insurance) that is needing help with his clean up, and I am sure you could leave with a big trailer load of wood. Most people only ask that you pile the limbs up so that they can be burned. The area where I have been cutting has already been picked over by a timber company, but there is still loads of wood to be cut on that property.

That tornado touched down about 400 yards to the west of my house and headed north, so my roof is leak free (PTL).

Well, here are a few of my traditional Finnish knives. They come with traditional leather sheaths as well. The top and bottom ones are traditional curly birch with moose antler and vulcanized color spacers. The middle one is black ash burl with reindeer antler. They all have nickel silver guards and butt caps with the tang of the blade hammered onto the butt cap for a sturdy usable knife. They're equally at home doing wood work and skinning and gutting game or just showpieces.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 79
Thanks, they may not be as high of a caliber as sunfishes knives, but the blades are great and the cutting geometry of a Scandinavian ground knife will spoil you quickly. It's all I use now. I carry a Mora for tough unforgiving use, and one of mine when I hunt or fish or want to carve. I just sold one of these knives and used part of the payment to buy a Fiskars x27 splitting axe and sharpener. The axe came kinda dull but after a few swipes on the sharpener, that thing split gnarly apple in one swing.

Well, here are a few of my traditional Finnish knives. They come with traditional leather sheaths as well. The top and bottom ones are traditional curly birch with moose antler and vulcanized color spacers. The middle one is black ash burl with reindeer antler. They all have nickel silver guards and butt caps with the tang of the blade hammered onto the butt cap for a sturdy usable knife. They're equally at home doing wood work and skinning and gutting game or just showpieces.

Those knives rock!!!! I have to ask out of curiosity what is your usual price tag on them? I tend to use folders for field use and victorinox for butchering because the price was right they stay sharp. Plus I dont get upset if they get nocked off of whatever they are sitting on while butchering and hit the concrete floor. Your knives are so nice and look so good I would hate to do anything to damage them.

Latest posts

Back