Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor has a big river birch. Would you guys consider this worth cutting? Well I'm going to have to cut it anyway for him so I figure why not burn it. His son in law wants a few logs for a decoration but other than that he said I could have it.

Hey Woodeneye , them knives look familiar LOL
Most birch I cut this winter splits just fine green with my X25 .
Birch makes for good carving stock as well .
Some birch and popple from 2 summers ago .

Groupshot.JPG

My neighbor has a big river birch. Would you guys consider this worth cutting? Well I'm going to have to cut it anyway for him so I figure why not burn it. His son in law wants a few logs for a decoration but other than that he said I could have it.

Yep, worth it, burn it.

Stick some of those knives in the trading post, you'll get saw offers I bet.

A couple of weekends ago the woman who runs our kids' daycare called and said "I've had some trees cut down. If you can get here today you can have them." I loaded up the tools and trailer and headed over, wondering what I'd find. When I arrived I was told "It's Ash and Oak." The dropped trees were actually Ash, Oak, Red Maple, White Pine, and Basswood. Since the trees were free and since the homeowner asked me to take everything, I didn't feel I had a right to refuse anything. I was able to leave most of the Pine (an old guy up the road burns Pine in his OWB) but I did have to take the Basswood. But she'd had the branches cut off all the trees and was giving the tops to her goats to devour the leaves which meant even less work for me. So taking the Basswood wasn't too big a deal.

This past Saturday afternoon I went over for a second load, which I unloaded from the trailer Sunday morning. As I'm unloading I'm trying to figure out what to do with Basswood, while my four year old son comes over to help. This boy isn't built very big and he's frequently frustrated when he can't pick up the rounds that he thinks he should be able to lift. So when he started shouting Dad! Dad! I thought he'd gotten into trouble trying to lift too large piece off the trailer. I spun around to see him holding a 14" long, 6" round of Basswood with an ear to ear grin. "Dad! I got Super strong!!" Well, that just made my day. Turns out Basswood's best use is for turning children into super heroes.

That linden/baswood is good Oct. burning. Make a production out of how what he hauled is keeping you toastey - and you got a woodburner for life. At least someone that connects a task with a result, which is all good.

Thought I was going to get out and cut today and try out my newly acquired 046, but it rained most of the day.

Instead, I split another face cord for my daughter from those 2 trees I took down for someone. That makes 5 face cords from those 2 trees, and there is still about 2 left, and I have another tree to take down (another 30" Chestnut Oak).

I get my exercise splitting, and my daughter gets the wood!

Instead, I split another face cord for my daughter from those 2 trees I took down for someone. That makes 5 face cords from those 2 trees, and there is still about 2 left, and I have another tree to take down (another 30" Chestnut Oak).

I get my exercise splitting, and my daughter gets the wood!
And what good exercise it is!

Commonly known as red birch. Air-dried density 35 lb/ft^3, about same as black cherry. Not the best, but pretty good. Not like white/gray birch where you have to split it asap, though. Not many around here, we're spoiled with golden and sweet birch.

Thanks for that info. I believe "Sweet Birch" is also Black Birch (smells like Wintergreen), and is high on the BTU scale. In fact, it is right in there with Black Locust, and higher than Apple, Oak and Hard Maple. I believe the BTU value of Black Birch is overlooked by a lot of people.

I woke to the sound of chainsaws. The City was trimming my neighbor's honey locust. They had separate cutting and clean up crews. Grabbed my battery saw, or as I call it now, my 'stealth saw', backed up my car, and did my best impersonation of Dancan.

Finished with the big pieces just as the grapple truck showed up. A few of the guys watched me. Can't say that the city is switching over to 40V. But they looked pretty impressed.

Philbert

image.jpg

You called that oregon saw a battery saw? What is a battery saw? Does it literally run off batteries? I've often wondered why I couldn't purchase a cheap $25 corded saw and run it off my 500/1000 peak watt inverter off my car at the local city dump in the middle of town to avoid waking neighbors/causing complaints. I can get a cheap little 14" craftsman for that price at a local junk store. Think that's feasible? Would I need a bigger inverter? The dump is chocked full of 3"-6" branches many times.

I've often wondered why I couldn't purchase a cheap $25 corded saw and run it off my 500/1000 peak watt inverter off my car at the local city dump in the middle of town to avoid waking neighbors/causing complaints.

Might be possible with a sharp chain and the right inverter (most of them overstate their capacity). Could also use a small generator that makes less noise than a gas chainsaw.

PM sent on battery saws, with links to related threads.

Philbert

Thanks for that info. I believe "Sweet Birch" is also Black Birch (smells like Wintergreen), and is high on the BTU scale. In fact, it is right in there with Black Locust, and higher than Apple, Oak and Hard Maple. I believe the BTU value of Black Birch is overlooked by a lot of people.

Black, or Sweet Birch is surely not overlooked by me. I love the stuff. Burns long, hot and clean, with great, subtle fragrance outdoors. Air-dry density around 48 lb/ft^3, way higher than Red Birch. Up around hickories. Sweet birch was used to make birch beer, back when.
Got a couple of p/u loads recently with connivance/help of some guys I volunteer with. No need to tell me twice.

It's not going to split like red oak, ferinstance. Some black birch rounds cause me to break out a 3 kg (6.5 lb) Mueller maul to make it into smaller pieces- a good January workout. Sometimes I just noodle a groove into the bigger rounds, and go ballistic with wedges.

Luckily the Black Birch I cut for my daughter was smaller diameter than the Oak. It is a little tougher to hand split, but as long as it is straight grain, it has not been too bad. I've had a much tougher time with some Norway Maple.

I did not know they used that for Birch Beer, good to know. My uncle told me that one year when he was making Maple Syrup, his young son accidentally tapped a Black Birch. Said it ran like a river (they always seem to seep well). He said he mixed it in with the Maple Syrup and it came out just fine!

Forgive me for not knowing what a battery saw is. I'm so backwoods and don't get to the city enough to see such things. Yeah, we got a 36 weed trimmer but I didn't know saws came in anything but corded or with a motor. Oh well, ignorance is bliss, eh? Haha! How loud is an electric saw? Do they just hum and you hear the chain biting through the wood, basically? I should know because I occasionally filled in at the tool rental at Home Depot when I was a contractor salesman, but heck, all we ever rented were the gas saws to homeowners or contractors who didn't want to ruin their stihl or husky.

That's a good comparison for me. Wish I would have taken picture of my recent score. Bagged a somewhat large dead elm with my Husqvarna 55 and lots of smaller limbs off the tree. I would say the main section of the trunk was 20" all the way to 20' up and of course all those aforementioned 3"-8" limbs. Also bagged a couple ticks. My 20" bar didn't bog down at all. This saw River Logger hooked me up with is strong. I like the decompression valve on it a lot.

Latest posts

Back