Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hunting load for my 338-06 shot well today. Moved the scope up 1/4" after shooting.

Looking forward to finding some game for it this fall!
The H380 is working well. You need to find a bear to send one through. I bet it performs flawlessly!

I also made a little coffee table (beer table, wine table, etc) for the deck this week.

Had been asked to lower a stump (not mine) at my stepson's house.

It is Elm, and it is tough to work with! I usually work with Oak or Hickory, but Elm is a whole different animal! To make the pockets for the legs, I usually plunge cut with the skill saw then chisel it out. Not with Elm! Trying to chisel that stuff is like trying to chisel unbreakable rubber!

Ended up drilling several holes with my Diablo Speedemon Spade Bits then finishing it off with my router (which had to work really hard to get it done).

Attachments

• IMG_20230612_171351243.jpg
    IMG_20230612_171351243.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230612_171405944_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230612_171405944_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Are those hydraulic poles for a bucket truck? A friend asked me to sell several of her dad's old bucket truck pole clips and saws. I thought it would be handy to run them off the Hydraulics on my Massey 135. When I looked into it, I was told the two systems were not readily compatible. I don't know that, just what I was told.
From what I found they are open looped saws that will run off your hydraulics. Some are also closed looped. I don't understand how you would run a tool like this in a closed looped system. The one I picked up yesterday runs on an open loop. I swapped out the fittings today and plugged it in. The saw works. When you release the handle the valve sticks and doesn't return to nuetral open. Tomorrow I'll pull that apart to see why. It might have a broken spring in the valve. It says open loop right on the handle casting. My tractor has an open loop system.

Would this cargo be classified as scrounge-able?

View attachment 1090119

A load of lumber took out a bridge in French River, Colchester County, Nova Scotia, this morning.

Bonus points to the guy that strapped the load.
I'm sure I've been over that bridge -- it's about 2 miles from my late great grandmother's house in Tatamagouche, and on the way from Tatamagouche to my family's wood lot in New Annan.

So how much you charge to remove a treehouse ??
I'll help you do it if you get a crane like the one Joe used out there :).
This crane cost me $800+, for 4 hours, about 15 years ago. He had all 4 sections on the ground, wrapped up and gone, in under 4 hours. An operator that is used to doing trees is sooo nice. I clipped into his ball and he put me in the top of the tree. He told me exactly where to put the choker, then I came down on my line, and he told me exactly where to cut. When I had about 5-6 inches left in the cut he put up pressure on the top section so the cut didn't pinch. As I cut through the piece lifted up about an inch. he gave me time to relocate out of the way, then lowered the whole top in the side yard. This was a 50 ton crane.
1T3cgTJ.jpg

ur1BHkn.jpg

9Lu9CFb.jpg
That's so cheap and a good example of a piece of equipment getting the job done in record time compared to rigging it out(if that was even an option).
I remember seeing that picture before, very cool!

I'll help you do it if you get a crane like the one Joe used out there :).

That's so cheap and a good example of a piece of equipment getting the job done in record time compared to rigging it out(if that was even an option).
I remember seeing that picture before, very cool!
When the customer called, there was a hurricane coming up the Coast, in the Carolina's, we are in MD. There was a gentile breeze blowing, and a crack in the lead going over the hot wires and the house, was opening and closing. I was about 200 pounds then, and was afraid to put my weight in the top. So, I called Jimmy. Jimmy used to be my cousins shop mechanic. He saw a crane operator work down a big tree and thought he would like doing that. He became very good at it. They charged $200 an hour 15 or so years ago. No idea what it would cost now? Oh, the storm wound up going out to sea and we had perfect working weather the rest of the week.

Today's load of pine logs
All sawlogs, albeit kinda tiny ones.

Actually, other than the knots it splits very easy.
My neighbor in WV has a Woodlands Band Mill. He asked me to leave anything over 4-6 inches. He'll be able to get something out of them. He just milled 6 Fir logs full of knots for me. They have lots of pink in them. I had him do one log with straight edge on one side and live on the other, 3" thick for Mantles. Got a quick look at them last week, they look nice!

More excitement on the hill this morning. It was raining and I thought I heard a clap of thunder. It was this into my neighbors house. Younger guy goin to fast for conditions. He did walk away mostly unhurt.
View attachment 1090309
That kid needs to learn how to parallel park.

More excitement on the hill this morning. It was raining and I thought I heard a clap of thunder. It was this into my neighbors house. Younger guy goin to fast for conditions. He did walk away mostly unhurt.
View attachment 1090309
Looks like a Subaru. figures

dude drives like aussies :sweet:

Mesquite?🤔
lol ;)

i was wondering if u caught that.... 🤩

well, we all know u are the cedar lumberman, but i had cut up some mesquite to grill on at ranch other day... and sure looks similar. what do u think?

made up some coasters... i guess everyone can figure out their purpose....
:givebeer:

P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPG

Latest posts

Back