Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also made a little coffee table (beer table, wine table, etc) for the deck this week.

Had been asked to lower a stump (not mine) at my stepson's house.

It is Elm, and it is tough to work with! I usually work with Oak or Hickory, but Elm is a whole different animal! To make the pockets for the legs, I usually plunge cut with the skill saw then chisel it out. Not with Elm! Trying to chisel that stuff is like trying to chisel unbreakable rubber!

Ended up drilling several holes with my Diablo Speedemon Spade Bits then finishing it off with my router (which had to work really hard to get it done).
a morning shot for the coffee drinkers... as i read the news, ch'd in and scrounged up the latetest... along with some other stuff

this morning
P1010009.JPG

👍
distance?
100 yds. The target is a 3" circle with 1.5" center. (I print them 4 on a sheet). The targets for the 225 grain bullets (2 of them) were ugly!

I was trying a new powder with the 225 grain bullets, and it did not go well!

The load pictured seems to be the best I have found for this rifle. I reloaded a 20-round box and have fired 3 shot groups from it twice, both were 1/2" at 100 yds, so it is a good load! The same powder charge with the 200 grain Hornady SST bullet also shoots well.

Have yet to find a load that shoots any of the 225 grain bullets well (I have 3 different ones).

I'm glad it shoots the Barnes 210 grain TTSX bullet so well, as that is the bullet I planned to hunt with, but I did not expect the Shaw barrel to be so finicky with other bullets / loads.

More excitement on the hill this morning. It was raining and I thought I heard a clap of thunder. It was this into my neighbors house. Younger guy goin to fast for conditions. He did walk away mostly unhurt.
View attachment 1090309
germany something GIF

This torque monster was born today. 090 clone saw with a 66mm top end. The kit went together very well and I have not many complaints at all for the price.

Compression is nice! I have some aluminum nameplates ordered too.
View attachment 1090372

I bet that thing's got some pretty good vibrations!

I've put a half dozen farmertec kits together, they all ran but they're definitely not swedes or Germans....it is kinda fun to
"build" a saw from a pile of parts, (with no instructions)....

I've thought about doing an 070/090 but I just ain't got no use for such a boat anchor.

I had some time this afternoon to try out the Greenlee stick saw. I like it. I did tear it down to check it out beforehand. I'll be ordering an O ring kit for it. They do leak a little bit when in use. I got to trim around the field edges a bit.

Attachments

• 20230614_152218.jpg
    20230614_152218.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230614_150723.jpg
    20230614_150723.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I bet that thing's got some pretty good vibrations!

I've put a half dozen farmertec kits together, they all ran but they're definitely not swedes or Germans....it is kinda fun to
"build" a saw from a pile of parts, (with no instructions)....

I've thought about doing an 070/090 but I just ain't got no use for such a boat anchor.
This was really a fun project rather than a purpose driven build. I like tinkering alot. Testing my mechanical skills without using some detailed instruction manual is challenging for the first one. Half a dozen you say? That’s quite a few sitting around unless you gave em or sold em off to frenemies.

This thing probably weighs 50 lbs without a bar. Certainly a boat anchor with some gumption.

Good day in the willow bush today. Started in new area. Brush so thick I could only get in about 6' to start a burn pile. 3.5 hours with no rest stop. Cut pile brush only but did salvage 2 16" no-split chunks of firewood. All set to fire up the MS441 to buck a 10' log on my next trip + continue cut/pile brush.

193T 362 and 441 all cooperating although they all get a bit stubborn to start at time. Off to dealer to pick up the Husky T435. Last time out with it it was a gutless wonder. I tried to clean the air filter but couldn't get the carb cover off. They estimated 10 days or more to get to it but called and said it was ready.

Pictures? I found out how to down load from the camera but they go to "Drive E" and I have been unable to even find it. Waiting to catch the neighbor's kid for a lesson.

G'day fellers,

I know what you've all been thinking. This place is just not the same without old Cowboy chewing up everyone's bandwidth with scrounge pics. Now I'll be honest, I thought scrounging season was over with 6 out of every 7 days in the last three weeks being rain at worst or drizzle at best (or maybe the other way around). Farms now just getting too wet. Will told me about these peppermint logs that he had pushed off a track that is reasonably navigable even in the wet. And today was wet. Again :nofunny:

20230615_150950.jpg

Now I have no problem scrounging easy logs but in the stand of trees right behind I spied a number of fallen dead peppermints that looked nice and solid.

20230615_151011.jpg

20230615_151031.jpg

20230615_151048.jpg

TBC...

Several of the logs were lying off the ground and the rest I sat up on the timberjack for easy cutting. Biggest couple of trees were 16-18in at the base and virtually all as dry as a chip inside. A couple had small termite pipes up them but nothing much. A tank and a bit through the MMWS 241 today. I'm hoping Will is happy with the clean-up work I'm doing and invites me back for more.

20230615_151103.jpg

20230615_153021.jpg

20230615_153046.jpg

I'm going to take this down to my brother in Melbourne this weekend. He can't tell the difference between good wood and trash but I'm sure he'll appreciate it nevertheless. Sweet no-split ready-to-burn solid broad-leaf peppermint :sweet:

20230615_154251.jpg

Only thing is, I'm not keen to OVERLOAD the trailer and then drive down the main highway to Melbourne - the fun police may interfere - so I'm going to have to level the load in the trailer with the sides - the extra can be my cut, if you will.

20230615_165023.jpg

And this in the ute. There's a bit more left there too, maybe half a cube. Wouldn't mind a few sunny days in a row to do a bit more...

20230615_165000.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Several of the logs were lying off the ground and the rest I sat up on the timberjack for easy cutting. Biggest couple of trees were 16-18in at the base and virtually all as dry as a chip inside. A couple had small termite pipes up them but nothing much. A tank and a bit through the MMWS 241 today. I'm hoping Will is happy with the clean-up work I'm doing and invites me back for more.

View attachment 1090456

View attachment 1090457

View attachment 1090458

I'm going to take this down to my brother in Melbourne this weekend. He can't tell the difference between good wood and trash but I'm sure he'll appreciate it nevertheless. Sweet no-split ready-to-burn solid broad-leaf peppermint :sweet:

View attachment 1090459

Only thing is, I'm not keen to OVERLOAD the trailer and then drive down the main highway to Melbourne - the fun police may interfere - so I'm going to have to level the load in the trailer with the sides - the extra can be my cut, if you will.

View attachment 1090461

And this in the ute. There's a bit more left there too, maybe half a cube. Wouldn't mind a few sunny days in a row to do a bit more...

View attachment 1090460

Scrounge on :rock:
That trailer could benefit from side extensions!

Miller High Life, the Champagne of Bottled Beers! Oops, Canned Beer.
hi rf -

we match on that thot. i finished up my outdoor fireplace overhaul project yesterday. got lucky. all scrounged parts for the rebuild and some other stuff... the QB was quite impressed with the firebrick install... and as i finished up the mainstay of putting it back together... she showed up with a cold one for H-H! after a dusty afternoon in that fireplace's hearth... it was welcome! 🤩
P1010019.JPG

P1010008.JPGP1010009.JPG

Had a hectic night, got home to find my Sheppard acting weird, barley came out of the house to greet me. Ran her into my wife's work and basically hit a wall. Did what we could to make her comfortable and let her go. Best guess is she had cancer or a tumor and it ruptured. Whatever it was happened in under 8 hours. She was fine when I left for work, kids said she was acting tired when they got home and by the time I got home she was real bad. Think my daughter is taking it harder then I am.

Attachments

• 20210406_081211.jpg
    20210406_081211.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210627_152847.jpg
    20210627_152847.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
then after all that, i decided to add a hearth guard and an ash fence. fire brick scrounged out of Super Scrounge... and i wrapped it up last nite confidently adding today's campfire bits n pieces for a test: proof of concept! brick is 2" thick. should protect the old fire brick nicely! and did not cost anything close to what some fireplace shops were telling me they could do for me! :rolleyes: lol :wtf: that!
P1010018.JPGP1010019.JPGP1010020.JPGP1010021.JPGP1010023.JPG

Had a hectic night, got home to find my Sheppard acting weird, barley came out of the house to greet me. Ran her into my wife's work and basically hit a wall. Did what we could to make her comfortable and let her go. Best guess is she had cancer or a tumor and it ruptured. Whatever it was happened in under 8 hours. She was fine when I left for work, kids said she was acting tired when they got home and by the time I got home she was real bad. Think my daughter is taking it harder then I am.
Sorry for your loss, they are family and never easy ,

Back