Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a day out in the woods today.
Had to get my felling fix and logging on!

View attachment 1090479
View attachment 1090482View attachment 1090481View attachment 1090483
View attachment 1090484
View attachment 1090487

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
That's awesome.
I like the stihl sticker :). And, when you get a call with a number ending in 0500 you know who it is :drinkingcoffee: .
Watching a truck with a nice 5th wheel setup and some light equipment rolling down the highway this week, next thing you know his magnetic sign flew off the passenger side and went right past my truck lol.
Ran the ported 562 a bit yesterday, no stills of me jumping around on the log though lol.
Anyone want some wood, free for the taking, which is why I didn't take it :laugh:.

Envy is rearing its ugly head here now. :yes: Nice scrounge @JimR.
I didn't totally need one of these, especially without having concrete in the barn yet lol. But I was at one of my stops and they had a bunch of scrap sitting out, three pallet jacks. This one looked pretty good, jacked up, but wouldn't go back down when the handle was pulled, figured that one would be pretty east to fix. Asked the store director and he said it's yours :). Got it home, just had to put the cable back on the lever that releases the hydraulic cylinder, it took all of half a minute :happy:.
Get your scrounge on guys.
Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 8.48.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 8.59.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 8.49.20 AM.png

I was out lopping around yesterday. I got in my new hose fittings and put the Greenlee loppers to work. This tool really works great and is much faster than using the Greenlee stick saw.
That could come in real handy.
Neat you can power it right off the tractor.
I've been wanting a smaller/light gas pole saw that doesn't extend, hoping for a nice echo to come up on craigslist for cheap. I have the stihl HT101, which I'm pretty sure they make fixed length version of, it's been great; although it started acting up last weekend. I'm hoping it's just the linkage to the carb, seems like it as it wouldn't come down off a higher rpm last weekend, but worked flawlessly yesterday.

Anyone who uses wood to BBQ with, can the wood come from a dead standing tree? I cut down a dead standing apple tree and the wood is going to either be camp wood (which I have enough already) or BBQ wood. I only use Cherry because I like it so I thought I might put it on CL. Will it still smoke just as good as seasoned fresh cut wood? Wouldn't want to sell anyone useless wood.

That could come in real handy.
Neat you can power it right off the tractor.
I've been wanting a smaller/light gas pole saw that doesn't extend, hoping for a nice echo to come up on craigslist for cheap. I have the stihl HT101, which I'm pretty sure they make fixed length version of, it's been great; although it started acting up last weekend. I'm hoping it's just the linkage to the carb, seems like it as it wouldn't come down off a higher rpm last weekend, but worked flawlessly yesterday.
I couldn't pass up this deal on the 2 loppers and stick saw for $200. I can sell the extra lopper for what I paid for all three. I have a fixed Husqvarna pole saw. It is long and heavier to use than the Greenlee I just picked up.

I didn't totally need one of these, especially without having concrete in the barn yet lol. But I was at one of my stops and they had a bunch of scrap sitting out, three pallet jacks. This one looked pretty good, jacked up, but wouldn't go back down when the handle was pulled, figured that one would be pretty east to fix. Asked the store director and he said it's yours :). Got it home, just had to put the cable back on the lever that releases the hydraulic cylinder, it took all of half a minute :happy:.
Get your scrounge on guys.
View attachment 1090981
View attachment 1090983
View attachment 1090982
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to find deals like that

I couldn't pass up this deal on the 2 loppers and stick saw for $200. I can sell the extra lopper for what I paid for all three. I have a fixed Husqvarna pole saw. It is long and heavier to use than the Greenlee I just picked up.
Yeah, I've seen some good deals on them, but I didn't realize that I may have been able to use them on my tractor as you did. The question is will you be selling them lol.
Surprised it's lighter, do you think it just feels lighter because of the weight of the hoses balancing it out.
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to find deals like that
I had to unload it into the back of my little Honda odyssey at the yard, good thing my truck has a lift gate on it :). I barely got the hatch to close, the boy helped me get it out at the house. I fixed it as soon as it hit the ground in the barn, couldn't believe that's all it was.

Managed to get three loads in the woodshed, the girls helped me today.
Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 4.49.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-17 at 4.48.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-17 at 3.13.43 PM.png
Then I got another one by myself, couldn't find my phone, then after looking around a bit I found it where my hand is :surprised3:. Crisis averted :).
Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 3.14.29 PM.png
Even got a few loads of brush cleared and another small tree plucked up, then I dug up a nice rock that will be used for a retaining wall or it will make a nice seat somewhere(no pics of the rock, but it did happen ;)). There's still 3 more buckets of brush and debris to pick up, a few branches to cut off trees(firewood sized), and one tree that was broke off and one close to it that's dead standing that I'll be taking down too.
Sure wish it wasn't so dry, would be nice to have a big fire today, the brush and root balls are piling up.
Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 4.49.28 PM.png

Anyone who uses wood to BBQ with, can the wood come from a dead standing tree? I cut down a dead standing apple tree and the wood is going to either be camp wood (which I have enough already) or BBQ wood. I only use Cherry because I like it so I thought I might put it on CL. Will it still smoke just as good as seasoned fresh cut wood? Wouldn't want to sell anyone useless wood.
I wouldn’t use it . I don’t season my smoking wood near as long as firewood .

Latest posts

Back