Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way closer to a drug for me, if I have coffee after about 2pm sleep ain't happening.
It's interesting how people are affected so differently by caffeine.
i just like a few :drinkingcoffee: in the am. actually, cut back. bit back or so. caffine don't really affect me.... :blob2:

Yea , I know just taking a week or two off you definitely feel the difference , how'd you get ur hydration along the way , any stops ? great job 👍

It was a supported ride, so unlimited water+snacks along the way. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, but I've been dealing with stomach issues on harder rides this year, yesterday was no exception. I was feeling fine until I tried to drink some electrolyte replacement mix...bad idea and I was battling nausea after that. Luckily they had pepsi at the rest stop, that's an easy way to take on carbs without feeling like crap.

Did some cutting yesterday and cleaning up downed Cherry trees. I got 4 1/2 bucket loads. Chipped up all the brush afterwards. It sure was hot and humid out. I felt like I was in the shower. I cut these trees up with a Husqvarna 435. It is a great small saw I picked up for cheap money. It needed a carb cleaning.
my midnite scrounge last nite. took about an hr. but i also tied some branches for the neighbor and raked the area clean.... oak and it was all cut up and stacked! ~
P1010001.JPG

no wood, no fire! :cool:
P1010021.JPGP1010022.JPGP1010023.JPG

I'm very aware of heat exhaustion symptoms, so even though I sometimes push myself, I also hydrate well.

Actually, the scary symptoms of dehydration are when you STOP sweating and you can't drink water (or other fluids). If you get to that level, call 911 immediately as your organs will start to shut down soon and you will not recover.

Women are more vulnerable than men (less body weight) and all of us get more vulnerable as we get older. The wife and I used to participate in numerous running races, biathlons (running/biking) and she even did a triathlon.

She was a real trooper and very competitive, but over the last decade I've rushed to the ER twice so they could plug in and IV so she could recover. It is scary when you see someone upchuck water.

If you, or someone you know gets to this level, time is critical. I recommend you call 911 instead of transporting them to the ER. Ironically, if you call 911 they will put an IV in your arm right in front of your house even before you go to the hospital. If you go to the ER the nitwits make you wait your turn!

The drink I like to fill my water bottles with is 1/3 grape juice, 1/3 orange juice and 1/3 water. Taste good and seems to work for me.

I only drink 2 cups of coffee a day, and never drink any soda. Sometimes I will add some seltzer water to my juice (instead of water).

It was a supported ride, so unlimited water+snacks along the way. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, but I've been dealing with stomach issues on harder rides this year, yesterday was no exception. I was feeling fine until I tried to drink some electrolyte replacement mix...bad idea and I was battling nausea after that. Luckily they had pepsi at the rest stop, that's an easy way to take on carbs without feeling like crap.
👍 Did you ever try Skratch , Tailwind Endurance, there good hydration supplements without all the bad crap you don’t need ,

I'm very aware of heat exhaustion symptoms, so even though I sometimes push myself, I also hydrate well.

Actually, the scary symptoms of dehydration are when you STOP sweating and you can't drink water (or other fluids). If you get to that level, call 911 immediately as your organs will start to shut down soon and you will not recover.
zzzzxex.JPG

It is very easy to lose track of things when you are out there riding. On hot days, I set my trip odometer on the road bike make sure I hydrate every 5 miles.
Yea , I always drink consistently weather I need it or not , by the time ur body says ur dehydrated it’s already to late ,

My daughter has a family party scheduled for later today to celebrate her daughter's and her nephew's birthdays, and we have severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings!

Not for nothing, but tornado warning for around here are almost as rare as confirmed Bigfoot sightings!

I hope the forecasters are wrong!

My daughter has a family party scheduled for later today to celebrate her daughter's and her nephew's birthdays, and we have severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings!

Not for nothing, but tornado warning for around here are almost as rare as confirmed Bigfoot sightings!

I've been working outside . Overcast but bright with a spritz every now and then so far not the washout they predicted but I'm 50 miles west of you and that can make the world of difference

Air so thick , cut it with a knife 🥵 here ,

Women are more vulnerable than men (less body weight) and all of us get more vulnerable as we get older. The wife and I used to participate in numerous running races, biathlons (running/biking) and she even did a triathlon.

She was a real trooper and very competitive, but over the last decade I've rushed to the ER twice so they could plug in and IV so she could recover. It is scary when you see someone upchuck water.

If you, or someone you know gets to this level, time is critical. I recommend you call 911 instead of transporting them to the ER. Ironically, if you call 911 they will put an IV in your arm right in front of your house even before you go to the hospital. If you go to the ER the nitwits make you wait your turn!

The drink I like to fill my water bottles with is 1/3 grape juice, 1/3 orange juice and 1/3 water. Taste good and seems to work for me.

I only drink 2 cups of coffee a day, and never drink any soda. Sometimes I will add some seltzer water to my juice (instead of water).
Very good info and thoughts. I am electrolyte deficient, so I need to replenish myself more so than the average person. Until I found Pedialyte, I would get terrible headaches in the summer when I was working outside.

👍 Did you ever try Skratch , Tailwind Endurance, there good hydration supplements without all the bad crap you don’t need ,
Never tried them, I did have to switch up what gels I use this year. I can't do Gu anymore, but SIS and Maurten have been really handy.

My biggest concern during endurance activities is carb intake...I'm lucky enough to acclimate well to heat, I even have my best performances during hot races. The thing that has shut me down on long rides is when I miscalculated my refueling strategies and basically depleted myself of muscle glycogen.

Heat related illnesses are no joke. In the wildfire world, the big one that's always a concern is an issue called Rhabdomyolysis. Basically overexertion causes the muscles to break down and release electrolytes and proteins into the blood stream that can damage the kidneys and heart. I've worked with a few people that got it, even one of the milder cases, he spent 2 weeks in the hospital with it and wasn't cleared back to work for another few months. On the more extreme cases, it's caused the need for permanent dialysis and medically retired some people...even can cause death. Once you get it once, it makes it that much more likely that you'll get it again.

The problem is that the symptoms mimic heat exhaustion and doctors will just stick an IV in the patient and send them on their way. We have a policy at work that anyone that seeks medical treatment for a heat related illness has to have a special blood test done to detect electrolyte abnormalities.

Never tried them, I did have to switch up what gels I use this year. I can't do Gu anymore, but SIS and Maurten have been really handy.

My biggest concern during endurance activities is carb intake...I lucky enough to acclimate well to heat, I even have my best performances during hot races. The thing that has shut me down on long rides is when I miscalculated my refueling strategies and basically depleted myself of muscle glycogen.

Heat related illnesses are no joke. In the wildfire world, the big one that's always a concern is an issue called Rhabdomyolysis. Basically overexertion causes the muscles to break down and release electrolytes and proteins into the blood stream that can damage the kidneys and heart. I've worked with a few people that got it, even one of the milder cases, he spent 2 weeks in the hospital with it and wasn't cleared back to work for another few months. On the more extreme cases, it's caused the need for permanent dialysis and medically retired some people...even can cause death. Once you get it once, it makes it that much more likely that you'll get it again.

The problem is that the symptoms mimic heat exhaustion and doctors will just stick an IV in the patient and send them on their way. We have a policy at work that anyone that seeks medical treatment for a heat related illness has to have a special blood test done to detect electrolyte

Latest posts

Back