Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea we got 3-5 but I am glad no tornado that I saw on the weather

We had a tornado back in June of 2011. It missed us by 1/2 mile or less but it's path of destruction hit lots of towns. I was delivering lunches to people trying to clean up and rebuild. Lots of scum bags looting.
pic of the hail that was all over the yard
View attachment 1098003
Looters should be shot on sight.

Looters should be shot on sight.
Well I do know one group showed up and they got a nice greeting. The most mild mannered guy I know saw a truck show up and get out. His wife told me he ran at them with his chain saw with a long bar running and he was swearing and screaming. They drove off. When I asked him he said he was just that mad, I guess when nice guys let go look out.

For hydration I got hooked on Sqwincher, it's a good electrolyte replacement. I get the jugs of grape or fruit punch zero, no sugar.
sqwincher.jpg

Never tried them, I did have to switch up what gels I use this year. I can't do Gu anymore, but SIS and Maurten have been really handy.

My biggest concern during endurance activities is carb intake...I'm lucky enough to acclimate well to heat, I even have my best performances during hot races. The thing that has shut me down on long rides is when I miscalculated my refueling strategies and basically depleted myself of muscle glycogen.

Heat related illnesses are no joke. In the wildfire world, the big one that's always a concern is an issue called Rhabdomyolysis. Basically overexertion causes the muscles to break down and release electrolytes and proteins into the blood stream that can damage the kidneys and heart. I've worked with a few people that got it, even one of the milder cases, he spent 2 weeks in the hospital with it and wasn't cleared back to work for another few months. On the more extreme cases, it's caused the need for permanent dialysis and medically retired some people...even can cause death. Once you get it once, it makes it that much more likely that you'll get it again.

The problem is that the symptoms mimic heat exhaustion and doctors will just stick an IV in the patient and send them on their way. We have a policy at work that anyone that seeks medical treatment for a heat related illness has to have a special blood test done to detect electrolyte abnormalities.
Here’s a high energy I’ll do for carb intake for long rides , Almond butter , Honey to taste, , and the kicker Olive oil , on a whole grain bread as a sandwich cut into small squares into a ziplock bag , and into my back pocket eat as you ride , all is very high in carbs , and energy 👍

We've been in the 90's the last week or so. Pretty much out in it picking stuff all day . Water is my go to with an occasional Gatorade. . A couple of breaks in front of the fan in the shop.
Remember. You can't make beer without water. :innocent:
And after drinking water made into beer, you make water again. Nest trick eh :laughing: .
Hey Ho !
Y'all fillin minivans ?
Not filling, but utilizing some of the space.
Good to see you around, hope the new/old gig goes well for you, has to be better than building places for the fat to get fatter :laugh:.

Couple 2x12x12 and four green 2x4x8's for the barn. No reason to drive within 7min, and go home 20 minutes away grab the trailer, then back 25min with the excursion and another 25min back to the house :dizzy:. Besides the odyssey gets much better fuel economy too, gotta watch my carbon footprint ;).
20230717_180805.jpg

And after drinking water made into beer, you make water again. Nest trick eh :laughing: .

Not filling, but utilizing some of the space.
Good to see you around, hope the new/old gig goes well for you, has to be better than building places for the fat to get fatter :laugh:.

Couple 2x12x12 and four green 2x4x8's for the barn. No reason to drive within 7min, and go home 20 minutes away grab the trailer, then back 25min with the excursion and another 25min back to the house :dizzy:. Besides the odyssey gets much better fuel economy too, gotta watch my carbon footprint ;).
View attachment 1098245
I'm not sure if I like the looks of that back seat ...

Latest posts

Back