Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the BIL Billy’s, 40 min in and one tank later

And he thought I was nuts when I told him I’d have it all bucked up today!View attachment 1113144
Did that at my youth pastors house last fall. He had 1 saw. A very neglected, weak and dull Ms 290 he had struggled along with.
I broke out a pm 700 , a Shreveport era craftsman ( a surprisingly good saw) and an 034 that was also strong as 034's go. Me, him and my boy ate a pile like that up in short order and he was blown away. I let him run the 700 and I didn't think he was going to give it back.
He just kept saying " that thing is loud but oh my goodness it goes through the wood!"

I hope she does lol.
Talked with the guy I got those logs from right after you left. He wants me to cut another very large(bigger than the logs I got you) white pine down there this winter, also 3 other trees. Maybe I can get a couple more logs for you. This one was hit by lightening at least a couple times, it's pretty tall.
Thanks for stopping by, and for the wood :).
Well, when you figure out the design, rough cut the lumber to size, and bring it over and we will run it through the planer ect.. (pretty it up)

Getting more logs is always a good thing. lol

SR

G'day fellers,

In today's All Aussie Ugly Log TM adventure, I went out to continue my scrounge/bonfire accumulation endeavour. Today's Ugly Log TM

20230923_120454.jpg

Or to put it another way,

20230923_123818.jpg

Solid other than a couple of rounds at a branch stub at the small end. That made up perhaps 2/3 of a ute load which is about 17/4ths of a wheelbarrow load or 1/1th of a round of @Kodiak Kid 's latest scrounge. I added a few rounds worth from yesterday's cutting to complete the load in the ute.

20230923_132654.jpg

There was also the obligatory trailer load of bonfire junk and poles

20230923_130705.jpg

Is it different junk or is Cowboy just taking photos of the same load like @H-Ranch (allegedly) does with his wheelbarrow?

Might have to go to @H-Ranch for a ruling.

Hang on a sec

🤔

Scrounge on :rock:

Is it different junk or is Cowboy just taking photos of the same load like @H-Ranch (allegedly) does with his wheelbarrow?

Might have to go to @H-Ranch for a ruling.

The initial indication seems to show pictures of the trailer from opposite sides in an effort to obfuscate the issue.

I may have to recuse myself from this case as I am under a double secret probation investigation myself in a similar (alleged) photo duplication violation. But I won't be able to determine that conclusively until I perform an on-site inspection (all expenses paid) with the full SFAOS international Board of Directors. It will take several weeks to review all of the places @Cowboy254 has frequented, including, but not limited to, the farm, the bonfire area, the mountains, the beach, and especially ocean/freshwater fishing sites.

The initial indication seems to show pictures of the trailer from opposite sides in an effort to obfuscate the issue.

I may have to recuse myself from this case as I am under a double secret probation investigation myself in a similar (alleged) photo duplication violation. But I won't be able to determine that conclusively until I perform an on-site inspection (all expenses paid) with the full SFAOS international Board of Directors. It will take several weeks to review all of the places @Cowboy254 has frequented, including, but not limited to, the farm, the bonfire area, the mountains, the beach, and especially ocean/freshwater fishing sites.
You probably need a co inspector hr. I'll get my things packed.

You probably need a co inspector hr. I'll get my things packed.
Even tho you are both top notch investigators I think you will be needing my keen eyes to help collecting evidence. When do we leave? :drinkingcoffee:

Nice looking pile of sticks, that kubota sure changes things doesn't it :happy:.
You gonna cut that lonely tree down straight above the bucket/forks lol.
I'm faced with some similar looking trees at my place after the storm damage :rare2:. I have a couple cherry trees left, but they lost some branches and have odd branches from where they went around the trees that came down in the storm, if I cut the odd branches off, they just look like tall poles with a bush on top/like I cut everything around them down. Decisions🤷‍♂️. I do know I don't need anymore wood on the ground at this point, I've got a lot to clean up from the storm yet that's on the back half of the property.
Thursday I started on a section just off the back yard, managed to get a couple buckets of cherry to add onto the to be split pile.
The proof of one of them :laugh:, and this is after "enhancing" it:laughing:, the other would have been worse yet, so no proof.
Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 8.18.41 AM.png

Well, when you figure out the design, rough cut the lumber to size, and bring it over and we will run it through the planer it ect.. (pretty it up)

Getting more logs is always a good thing. lol

SR
Thanks.
My buddy said this winter would be fine as he doesn't want to tear up the ground closer to the lake, so we'll wait until it's frozen. There's a few problems with that though; one, I don't like driving my excursion in the salt, two I don't like bring my trailers out in the salt, three I don't like bringing the kubota out in the salt, four he's over 1.5hrs away north of Hesperia and the daylight hrs are very short in the winter which may turn it into a two day gig. I'll probably swing by and do a couple of the smaller trees this fall and maybe save the big white pine for this winter.
I dropped 7 spruce and pine yesterday and an elm(read lots of fun :nofunny:), but the biggest ones were young(20-30yrs) and the wood wasn't that great for the size. Oriental bittersweet choked both of the bigger ones out and they were nearly dead. There were still a lot of dead branches, personally, they all needed to go, but for now he just wanted the worst ones gone and the ones closest to the house, which I understand. More of the same to look at today, this time decayed and over a shed.
Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 8.23.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 8.23.44 AM.png

I have my Peerless chainsaw sharpener running like a dream except I need to fix the dead stop tab. The previous owner managed to mutilate it with the grinding wheel. I will be welding this one up today. I have a question for you guys that use a chainsaw sharpener. What angle do you set your wheel at to do the downward undercut grind with. I have the face cut set at 30 degrees. The previous owner had it set at 45 degrees. I think that is how he destroyed the backstop. The undercut or gullet was also set at a really sharp angle.

Attachments

• 20230923_084120.jpg
    20230923_084120.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230922_102837.jpg
    20230922_102837.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230922_102849.jpg
    20230922_102849.jpg
  • 20230922_102916.jpg
    20230922_102916.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230922_102902.jpg
    20230922_102902.jpg
I have my Peerless chainsaw sharpener running like a dream except I need to fix the dead stop tab. The previous owner managed to mutilate it with the grinding wheel. I will be welding this one up today. I have a question for you guys that use a chainsaw sharpener. What angle do you set your wheel at to do the downward undercut grind with. I have the face cut set at 30 degrees. The previous owner had it set at 45 degrees. I think that is how he destroyed the backstop. The undercut or gullet was also set at a really sharp angle.
55* typically a good starting point. What i have my grinder set to and haven't had much of a reason to deviate.

Nice looking pile of sticks, that kubota sure changes things doesn't it :happy:.
You gonna cut that lonely tree down straight above the bucket/forks lol.
I'm faced with some similar looking trees at my place after the storm damage :rare2:. I have a couple cherry trees left, but they lost some branches and have odd branches from where they went around the trees that came down in the storm, if I cut the odd branches off, they just look like tall poles with a bush on top/like I cut everything around them down. Decisions🤷‍♂️. I do know I don't need anymore wood on the ground at this point, I've got a lot to clean up from the storm yet that's on the back half of the property.
Thursday I started on a section just off the back yard, managed to get a couple buckets of cherry to add onto the to be split pile.
The proof of one of them :laugh:, and this is after "enhancing" it:laughing:, the other would have been worse yet, so no proof.
View attachment 1114697

Thanks.
My buddy said this winter would be fine as he doesn't want to tear up the ground closer to the lake, so we'll wait until it's frozen. There's a few problems with that though; one, I don't like driving my excursion in the salt, two I don't like bring my trailers out in the salt, three I don't like bringing the kubota out in the salt, four he's over 1.5hrs away north of Hesperia and the daylight hrs are very short in the winter which may turn it into a two day gig. I'll probably swing by and do a couple of the smaller trees this fall and maybe save the big white pine for this winter.
I dropped 7 spruce and pine yesterday and an elm(read lots of fun :nofunny:), but the biggest ones were young(20-30yrs) and the wood wasn't that great for the size. Oriental bittersweet choked both of the bigger ones out and they were nearly dead. There were still a lot of dead branches, personally, they all needed to go, but for now he just wanted the worst ones gone and the ones closest to the house, which I understand. More of the same to look at today, this time decayed and over a shed.
View attachment 1114698
View attachment 1114699
Yea chipper, luv that orange 👍, got 52 logs 24’ footers red oak , it’ll keep me busy ported saws enjoying it to , Lol

55? My gauge doesn't go that high. Do you mean 5*
Sounds like you are talking about a different angle than Sean.
I think your referring to the top plate angle, then there is the side plate angle which along with the way your wheel is dressed and the depth you cut into the gullet will set the side plate angle/hook.
As Sean said, the later is typically set to 55 on round chain, I sometimes set mine more aggressively on semi chisel and use a little higher rakers if the saw can handle it(that's if I have to use semi-chisel chain).

Latest posts

Back