Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this thread still allowing, accepting... other stuff? 🤩 it is still ok, huh... to discuss chain saw motors... chains and a lil drinking along with bars?? shot? shooting ok, too? 🤔
more then, ...on getting along with the Better Half! some guys go all out to ensure... dare i say endure? ;) :lol:
zzzzxbr.JPG

😋
:cheers:

i prob am at the edge of being dunned for something! did the other day!! an AS Special :heart: Notice! (no joke, no name. just a big ? in a circle from the sender) i best try then at least to remain forum Topic Specific... ie, firewood, if nothing else...

other day, i did find some time after many weeks of neglect, timewise... to spend 5 mins or so and kiss my Echo's chain edges... and that went well!

my lil chip maker
P1010003.JPG
P1010007.JPG

no cut to great cut
P1010006.JPG

I learned to pull on the caps the hard way too, but it became a habit.
If I ran stihls all the time, it might not be a problem for me either, but since I run saws they work properly on... :laugh:.
I'll add that I'm not a huge fan of the flippy thread caps on my 550 mk1. They're good in concept, but the hole is way too small. I'm of the opinion that the manufacturers should put the largest diameter caps that they can fit.
Yep, those are pretty small, but the holes on the small stihls are a pain to see as well. The good thing is the 60cc and bigger saws have a larger hole.
On the smaller saws just popping a hole in the tin foil seal on the oil container and making a vent hole above it as Mike and I were talking about earlier works the best for me.
I'd still rather have the ones on that 550 than the stihl flippys.

i prob am at the edge of being dunned for something! did the other day!! an AS Special :heart: Notice! (no joke, no name. just a big ? in a circle from the sender) i best try then at least to remain forum Topic Specific... ie, firewood, if nothing else...

other day, i did find some time after many weeks of neglect, timewise... to spend 5 mins or so and kiss my Echo's chain edges... and that went well!

my lil chip maker
View attachment 1115678
View attachment 1115679

no cut to great cut
View attachment 1115681
Gonna need some pictures of it sharp, looks real bad in the first pic :omg: .

Then you better listen a little better, but I'm not denying that it's operator error.
That being said, I've never heard of anyone having a husky flippy cap come loose.

Right, yours just don't start when you're out there :laugh: .
If you overfill the oil, they won't lock in well.
As I said above, I'm not saying it isn't operator error, because I realize it is, but I've never had that problem with any other cap design.
Due to the position of the oil cap I commonly overfill there. Never had any problem at all installing tham on any of my 5 saws that I have had since they came out.

Due to the position of the oil cap I commonly overfill there. Never had any problem at all installing tham on any of my 5 saws that I have had since they came out.
As long as I dump it out I don't either. If I overfill I just lean the saw forward so the oil spills onto the bar.
It is hard to see some of them to fill them, especially the top handles, and don't put the bar oil in the wrong hole :omg: . Yeah, I've done that before too, they should probably revoke my chainsaw license lol.

As long as I dump it out I don't either. If I overfill I just lean the saw forward so the oil spills onto the bar.
It is hard to see some of them to fill them, especially the top handles, and don't put the bar oil in the wrong hole :omg: . Yeah, I've done that before too, they should probably revoke my chainsaw license lol.
Just push ffirmly dowdn on the cap and the excess oil oozes out.

Well with mist and light rain at times, we soldiered ahead and got the pad finished off. Heated the sand and added accelerator. Man it was quick. I forgot To tell the guy not to add the slow flow so it didn't finish as nice as I would have liked, but it's finished. Tarped over night, as they were calling for heavy rains. Stripped the forms this morning in the rain. Now just gotta give it a week or so, then I can start putting the structure up.

Attachments

• 20230926_185829.jpg
    20230926_185829.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Well with mist and light rain at times, we soldiered ahead and got the pad finished off. Heated the sand and added accelerator. Man it was quick. I forgot To tell the guy not to add the slow flow so it didn't finish as nice as I would have liked, but it's finished. Tarped over night, as they were calling for heavy rains. Stripped the forms this morning in the rain. Now just gotta give it a week or so, then I can start putting the structure up.
Sweet!! :yes:

Looks awesome.
How thick dig you go.
Are you going to cut it.
I just cleaned up where the trucks did their clean outs tonight, so I had concrete on the brain. When thinking of all the money I've made this yr the other day, it took me a bit to remember the concrete, not sure how I forgot that :envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:. I do remember something about a saying, went something like "quality remains long after price is forgotten", glad the concrete is still holding up :laugh:.

Just push ffirmly dowdn on the cap and the excess oil oozes out.
I do that, then it locks in, and I start cutting only to realize it wasn't locked in. I'm just glad I don't cut wood in my fancy shoes, well, my 8" loggers are kinda nice :p.
Managed to run 4 or 5 tanks thru the ms200 this evening after touching the chain up:chainsaw:. Didn't even have the cap fall off, not even once:innocent:.
Probably cut 5 or six bucket loads worth, and got 4 nice logs that I'll get 8 rounds each out of too.
Got three sticks out of this section and the butt log was the 4th.

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 8.23.39 PM.png

Here's the one bucket I have proof of lol.

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 8.24.16 PM.png

I also knocked the dirt off the stump from the same tree, it got a lot lighter, even had a bunch of fist sized rocks fall off it. You can see all my baby locust in this picture too, in the black locust pond.

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 8.23.57 PM.png

Then I put the cleaned off stump in the bonfire pit and cut another small cherry to get more brush for the fire. I cut 4 or 5 smaller cherry tonight, bucked all of them up for firewood but the smallest, it was dead standing and kinda rotten, so on the fire it went :blob2:. Hoping it will get pretty burned up over the next couple days. We are supposed to have rain coming tonight and a higher chance over the next couple days. If the stump dries out enough it will keep burning long as the rain isn't too heavy.

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 8.24.43 PM.png

jBoth for me about once/yr
In
Given they are probably the most touched thing on a saw besides the handle, you would think they could make access to caps easy on all saws.

Latest posts

Back