Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of them turne

None of them turned blue. I actually barely hit the cutter. Most of the grinding was in the gullet below
Still…mine would blue with that much time. And, it wouldn’t matter if I was using the ceramic or the cbn I have.

I wish the season were still open, and my daughter and I were in the stand again this evening!

That bear is bigger than the one I got, and that buck looks nice too! Requested the video of the buck, hopefully I will be able to count points.

Attachments

• Bear09-25-2023.jpg
    Bear09-25-2023.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Buck09-25-2023.jpg
    Buck09-25-2023.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
You watch it to, the husky ones do work better, never heard of one coming loose 🤣.

I never heard of a Stihl flippy cap coming loose, except from you. Mine haven’t come loose.

That usually means it’s the operator.

Typical Melbourne BS!

Actually I was referring to the umpiring in the other game on the weekend (Coll vs GWS), Melbourne's wounds the previous week were self-inflicted.

Edit: Oh you meant my derogatory comment about Collingwood supporters. Nah that's 100% true.

Not “this” subject again! :surprised3: :crazy2:

It does get old. I've been using them since they first came out. Never any trouble with them except very occasionally forgetting to put them on or incorrectly doing it. Someone a week or two ago complained about having to clean them - never happended to me. Another that if you overfill you can't put them on. BS. Just push down and turn, the excess fuel is pushed out and cap installes with normal force.

I never heard of a Stihl flippy cap coming loose, except from you. Mine haven’t come loose.

That usually means it’s the operator.
Then you better listen a little better, but I'm not denying that it's operator error.
That being said, I've never heard of anyone having a husky flippy cap come loose.
It does get old. I've been using them since they first came out. Never any trouble with them except very occasionally forgetting to put them on or incorrectly doing it. Someone a week or two ago complained about having to clean them - never happended to me. Another that if you overfill you can't put them on. BS. Just push down and turn, the excess fuel is pushed out and cap installes with normal force.
Right, yours just don't start when you're out there :laugh: .
If you overfill the oil, they won't lock in well.
As I said above, I'm not saying it isn't operator error, because I realize it is, but I've never had that problem with any other cap design.

I went down almost as far as the original gullet.
Do you have the little tool that shows the proper shape the wheel should be.
I believe it's a combination of the wrong profile on the wheel, and you are going too deep. When you grind there should be no straight line on the side plate, only a curve. Your files should fit as closely as possible into that curve for ease of filing in the field. If there is a straight line from anywhere below where the file would rest and down into the gullet, that will be fine, but then you won't have a shelf to rest your file onto and you will either need to hold your file up manually or use a tool such as the husky roller guide.
Just because the factory can grind the gullet that low, doesn't mean you will be able to. When a chain is new getting the gullet is many times a second part of the process when grinding/ filling depending on the type of chain and the wheel/file size.
Hope this helps.

You watch it to, the husky ones do work better, never heard of one coming loose 🤣.
I just don't understand what's wrong with male threads sticking up from the saw and a female cap. Much less chance of junk falling into the tanks. Kinda reminds of everything they do with computers...... change something that works just fine and the new " fix " causes all kinds of grief!
I will take this opportunity to plug my cans of compressed air again. A great thing to have in a saw box.
I hope to mount a portable air tank in the truck at some point and have the option of a short hose to blow dust off caps and clean off air filters in the field.

Do you have the little tool that shows the proper shape the wheel should be.
I believe it's a combination of the wrong profile on the wheel, and you are going too deep. When you grind there should be no straight line on the side plate, only a curve. Your files should fit as closely as possible into that curve for ease of filing in the field. If there is a straight line from anywhere below where the file would rest and down into the gullet, that will be fine, but then you won't have a shelf to rest your file onto and you will either need to hold your file up manually or use a tool such as the husky roller guide.
Just because the factory can grind the gullet that low, doesn't mean you will be able to. When a chain is new getting the gullet is many times a second part of the process when grinding/ filling depending on the type of chain and the wheel/file size.
Hope this helps.
I do not have the tool that you mention. I'll do some research on chain sharpening to see what I can find. This is my first go at doing chains this way. I have been hand filing since I was a teenager back in the late 60's.

Latest posts

Back