Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the 1/4" and 3/8" and like them both. They came out with the extended reach versions right after I bought the regular ones. I don't really have a need for the extended reach though. At least not YET. LOL.
Yea , it’s handy , was looking at the new Insider ratchet IMG_2103.jpeg

Another 3+ hours on the tree from hell. 2 hours and 1.5 tanks through the 441 and I was ready to pull down the lodged tree. Lots of sorting out the cables/snatch blocks and I was rigged for a 4 to 1 pull. Moved it maybe 3 ft. Examination showed that there was a big branch that lodged in the crotch - no hope of pulling it free. Bottome line: about 9 total hours spent with nothing but a few sticks of firewood; I'll have to fall that prop tree. It is one big mother and at least will have useable wood in it. I don't like standing under the leaner to do the felling cuts but the lodged tree and the big one are basically a big inverted V and can't come undone.
The saga ends

Brother showed up to "help" I wondered what he thought he could do as he is so stove up he can barely walk on flat ground with a cane. About 20 minutes sorting out and rolling up cables I tackled the fell. The big branch had sagged a bit n the outboard end so I cut and piled the brush from that - didn't want that limb to touch the ground before the tree was committed. Quick undercut - one of the few perfect ones I have acheived - no dutchmen. Back cut barelin in blade depth and started to pop. A few more tastes of the chain and it slowly went where I figured it would. Looks like a ton or two of brush to cut/pile and a lot of good (if willow can be called good) firewood. Figure at leasst one 3 hr session tomorrow on clearing the brush then comes the fun of bucking up nice sized logs.

The saga ends

Brother showed up to "help" I wondered what he thought he could do as he is so stove up he can barely walk on flat ground with a cane. About 20 minutes sorting out and rolling up cables I tackled the fell. The big branch had sagged a bit n the outboard end so I cut and piled the brush from that - didn't want that limb to touch the ground before the tree was committed. Quick undercut - one of the few perfect ones I have acheived - no dutchmen. Back cut barelin in blade depth and started to pop. A few more tastes of the chain and it slowly went where I figured it would. Looks like a ton or two of brush to cut/pile and a lot of good (if willow can be called good) firewood. Figure at leasst one 3 hr session tomorrow on clearing the brush then comes the fun of bucking up nice sized logs.
Glad to hear it worked out.

Is there any other way to do it? I've been planning my shop for years now. I wish I would have done it about 5 years ago, would have been done for the money i have in the frame and concrete.
You'd think that no-one could do it themselves if you listened to all those who asked me if I was going to build it myself, then when I said yes they looked at me like I was crazy. Somebody has to be building them, why can't I :nofunny:.
Yep, I would have had mine 100% finished had I started 2 yrs earlier, cost wise anyhow.

Man................YOU'RE KILLING ME SMALLS!!! LOL. I go away for ONE WEEKEND on a group ATV trip with friends where I don't get on here, and five pages have passed by already LOL. Well, I'm going to have to catch up now again!
You didn't bring your phone with to keep up:eek::lol:.
I don't really have a need for the extended reach though. At least not YET. LOL.
Well I for one will put money on the fact you will now :innocent:.

Latest posts

Back