Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw some headlights in front of my shop Monday morning. I don't take any chances after getting ripped off the other year so I grabbed the flashlight and side arm to investigate. Actually 2 vehicles there and lights out on one. Safety off. Young kid gets out and says he spun out and wrecked his car. Mom was in the other car. After it got light out I saw what he hit. 2 of my firewood bins i had sitting out front. Luckily they were empty or it would have been a lot worse.
20231030_075956.jpg20231030_080015.jpg20231030_074938.jpg

Saw some headlights in front of my shop Monday morning. I don't take any chances after getting ripped off the other year so I grabbed the flashlight and side arm to investigate. Actually 2 vehicles there and lights out on one. Safety off. Young kid gets out and says he spun out and wrecked his car. Mom was in the other car. After it got light out I saw what he hit. 2 of my firewood bins i had sitting out front. Luckily they were empty or it would have been a lot worse.
View attachment 1124339View attachment 1124340View attachment 1124341
What are those bins worth for insurance (his) purposes? $1000 each? :laugh:

Went up to my place in WV for four days. There was an early doe season, but it was so warm I didn't feel like hunting. I drug half a top of a down White Oak out into my drive and cut and split it. Then I finished cutting up the big White Oak log I started a couple weeks ago. My driveway is a mile and a half long. My neighbor had the drive posted right where his property starts. I knew something was wrong. Finally saw him and asked what was up? Then I asked if he put his Woodland Band Mill in the barn. He said, Nope, someone stole it. He and his 20 year old son went in half and half on the mill. The son and his girl friend were able to back up to it and push it on a trailer. he heard them and yelled he was calling the "Law", but they were long gone when the cops got there. They said since his son paid half of it, there was nothing they could do. He would have to sue him in Civil Court. He said he was just going to buy another one, the next size bigger. It's a shame, the boy has/had potential. Then he got hooked up with this wild girl with all kinds of Police Records. I think the best part of the trip was hooking up the trailer with a cord of White Oak, and taking a pic or two as we left.
U3D3EbR.jpg

VhHwu9o.jpg

LBdUOwB.jpg
He and the wild thing never should have driven off the property. There should have been at least 2 flat tires on one side.

The Kawasaki motor on my cub cadet zero turn is electric start, but it starts INSTANTLY every time ... faster than any motor I have ever had.
I believe the original post was about splitter motors. I agree on the Kawasaki motors on bigger equipment. I had a 24 horsepower on a Cub Cadet mower. That motor was awesome. My present JD X485 has a water cooled Kawasaki twin with EFI. The hour meter should be rolling over 2000 hours this year. It does burn some oil but doesn't smoke. I bought this mower 2 years ago and it was well used. I may rebuild the motor in it sometime soon to stop the oil usage.

Well I did forget about cleanup, landscaping and grass seed and all associated labor.... that's got to add on another $500. So I guess were at $2500 for a claim :laugh: .
Don't forget all contractors raised their prices 300 percent in the wake of covid and the loss of workforce. Sounds more like that job would be 7500 plus materials. And pain an suffering.

Was that wood highly valuable black walnut? I think it was.

Good News - Bad News:

Good: Turkey have been close to my new stand, during open turkey season for 3 days in a row!

Bad: We will not get back up there till turkey season is over on Saturday!

It has been several years since we have seen this much turkey activity, but I am concerned that we are only seeing adult birds ... no little ones, no flocks.

Too many predators ... Coyote, Bobcat, Fox, Fisher and numerous birds of prey!

Saw some headlights in front of my shop Monday morning. I don't take any chances after getting ripped off the other year so I grabbed the flashlight and side arm to investigate.

You should get yourself a security guard like I did. He keeps the riff-raff out even if he does lie down on the job sometimes.

20230817_123502.jpg

20230817_123457.jpg

He was on the job over winter too :laugh:

20231013_065050.jpg

Back