Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I actually did some firewood stuff today

Customer of mine came in and told me he had 14 Ash taken down and the wood is all in 16-18 rounds. Come and get it. Warmed me his wife put a giant sign in his yard “Free Wood” so come quickly

Lunch time I loaded a truck load. I doubt there will be any left by tomorrow. Two other guys were there, on multiple loads already according to the homeowner.

Supposedly, two more trees are dropping tomorrow, so “maybe” I’ll get another load maybe not.

Then, after I drop that load off I run to my BIL house and help him wrap up his pile. Split stacked and bark and chips all cleaned up.

Now just sucking down some sweet Coors as I watch my woodstove turn wood into BTU’s

Wish I snapped a picture of the first load in my new to me truck, but there will be plenty more. I upgraded form a crew cab Colorado to a crew cab 1500

Brother in-law has all the toys, few JD’s and a handful of Huskys.
72056335058__9F049F88-24F2-4615-8BCD-DB9C67B125DB.jpeg

Had a close call todays boys.

Was working on a old Lombard Super Lighting and managed to catch the chain on my pants leg. Thankfully it was a old dull chain and it did not get into my skin, but in the heat of the moment it did smash the saw into my leg and when I looked down and saw the rip in my pants I was sure my leg was cut. I walked into the house clenching my leg and I guess the secret to having your wife demand you take your pants off is to make her think you cut yourself with a saw.

Anyway, it didn't draw blood, but I decided it was time to invest in some chaps.

tempImagevG9snF.jpg

Was working on a old Lombard Super Lighting and managed to catch the chain on my pants leg. Thankfully it was a old dull chain and it did not get into my skin, but in the heat of the moment it did smash the saw into my leg and when I looked down and saw the rip in my pants I was sure my leg was cut. I walked into the house clenching my leg and I guess the secret to having your wife demand you take your pants off is to make her think you cut yourself with a saw.

Anyway, it didn't draw blood, but I decided it was time to invest in some chaps.

View attachment 1124557
They are cheap insurance and I actually like wearing them when splitting wood too. Like an extra layer of protection for your legs from falling wood

No chance of keeping up right now so here is an imaginary like for every post in the 20 or so pages I've missed. Hope all is well for everyone.
Burned a ric already.
Only thing I've cut in the last month was brush.
Only thing I've got to work on was a partner demo saw.

Not good. My MS362, the go-to saw, has been getting harder and harder to start, taking more and more pulls as the summer/fall went on. Today it failed totally, couldn't get a 'pop' out of it. To keep the day from being a total waste, I spent 1.5 hours cut/pile brush on some blow down willow getting them ready to buck the next trip out.

I thought it might be a plugged spark screen, tried to clean it but couldn't break loose even one of the 4 screws holding the exhaust. Okay...off to a dealer for a good tune-up. Had a choice of 4, 1 a 1/4 mile down the road but is an ag implement dealer and any saw work he does comes AFTER anyting else. 1 20 miles away but will not do any 'instant' work. "we're 2 weeks out". 1 30 miles away and used to be a good place, it still deals with saws amongst all the bikes, mowers, etc. etc. No longer affiliated with the old outfit. Run by a couple old guys who seems to be "adequate about saws but....

The last one is a 50 mile one-way drive but is willing to drop everything and try to fix a customer's saw while they are out and about. Very good and knowledgeable about saws, used to be a main Stihl dealer for all the professional loggers. That business is about dead as all the old=growth timber is long gone. Excellent shop and they do know what they are doing.

Se.... bag the day after cutting brush and off to that dealer. Describe the problem to the mechanic and go about my shopping, come back only to be told that he could find nothing wrong and had had no problem at all starting it.

Age is the real problem I am coming up on my 88th birthday so any exercise program isn't going to fix it. I'll make a try a lifting weights but doubt it will do any good. I've been pulling on that saw for a couple hours every day all summer long and getting weaker.

View attachment 1124557
Yup, time for chaps. The next time it could be a lot more serious. Hopefully there is no next time.

Not good. My MS362, the go-to saw, has been getting harder and harder to start, taking more and more pulls as the summer/fall went on. Today it failed totally, couldn't get a 'pop' out of it. To keep the day from being a total waste, I spent 1.5 hours cut/pile brush on some blow down willow getting them ready to buck the next trip out.

I thought it might be a plugged spark screen, tried to clean it but couldn't break loose even one of the 4 screws holding the exhaust. Okay...off to a dealer for a good tune-up. Had a choice of 4, 1 a 1/4 mile down the road but is an ag implement dealer and any saw work he does comes AFTER anyting else. 1 20 miles away but will not do any 'instant' work. "we're 2 weeks out". 1 30 miles away and used to be a good place, it still deals with saws amongst all the bikes, mowers, etc. etc. No longer affiliated with the old outfit. Run by a couple old guys who seems to be "adequate about saws but....

The last one is a 50 mile one-way drive but is willing to drop everything and try to fix a customer's saw while they are out and about. Very good and knowledgeable about saws, used to be a main Stihl dealer for all the professional loggers. That business is about dead as all the old=growth timber is long gone. Excellent shop and they do know what they are doing.

Se.... bag the day after cutting brush and off to that dealer. Describe the problem to the mechanic and go about my shopping, come back only to be told that he could find nothing wrong and had had no problem at all starting it.

Age is the real problem I am coming up on my 88th birthday so any exercise program isn't going to fix it. I'll make a try a lifting weights but doubt it will do any good. I've been pulling on that saw for a couple hours every day all summer long and getting weaker.
Time for a smaller saw. You did well going this far with that saw. My deceased father in law moved to a much lighter saw when he turned 80 because the heavier one he had was too hard to start. I'm 70 and dread the day when that happens to me.

Time for a smaller saw. You did well going this far with that saw. My deceased father in law moved to a much lighter saw when he turned 80 because the heavier one he had was too hard to start. I'm 70 and dread the day when that happens to me.
I’ll go to my grave, pulling theses bitches over ,lol 😆👍IMG_1514.jpegIMG_1514.jpeg

Unfortunately I have never seen chainsaw pants my size.
Cloggers has your size. We had a bunch of climbers in here at work last week trimming up trees. There was a woman Wearing this lavender colored cloggers. She was a slim tiny little thing. Built just like my wife, just more chesty..... I'm an averaged sized fat guy and like their pants. Just spendy. They fit about like a pair of wranglers.

Age unfortunately gets us all. My dad is 74, and last year I gave him a 372xp after he ran mine and liked the power. Everytime I went over he would complain about that saw not starting or running. It never gave me any trouble, and I finally swapped him a 346xp for it and he’s been happy as a clam. That 372xp has run absolutely flawless for me since and always starts 2nd or third pull.
What size ,?
42x36

Cloggers has your size. We had a bunch of climbers in here at work last week trimming up trees. There was a woman Wearing this lavender colored cloggers. She was a slim tiny little thing. Built just like my wife, just more chesty..... I'm an averaged sized fat guy and like their pants. Just spendy. They fit about like a pair of wranglers.
I found a pair of husqvarna at a reasonable price when I was looking. They don't put up a fuss when I only use Shihl saws with them. :drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts

Back