Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I was out splitting rounds after work. Started off with the fiskers x27 and the iso core for the tougher stuff. I petered out pretty quickly and switched to the splitter. The kids are still too little to help and my wife was "busy." I'd bet I got ~1/2 cord split. Kinda looked at the pile of splits after i was done and stacking and thought I did a good job.
After reading this mornings posts, in reflection I didn't get near as much done as I used to. Rona didn't really get me, it was the heat stroke I had 5 years ago. I've never been 100% since it. Heck an 80* day about knocks the wind out of my sails. Getting older sucks lol. I hope when I'm 60 I'll still be able to heat with wood and get around like some of you older fellas.

Go hike some trails in the woods will hills , with a pack on some weight in it , for a few miles that will get you cardio, without being bored on a dreadmill lol , I’ hike a fair amount, and been riding a mountain bike for over 35 years, use to race back in the day , that’s what keeps me going other than cutting and splitting wood , 👍
And yes , I ride 12 months a year , lol 😆 👍

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1863.jpeg
    IMG_1863.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Saw this on the local NextDoor app.

View attachment 1124772
I was thinking of contacting the Town Administrator to see if anyone on public assistance in town needed some firewood. I would be happy to give some away to someone in need. I don't want to advertise it publicly because there are people that take advantage of things like this that are not in dire need of assistance.

I love that area. I have been going up there since 1971. I climbed Mt. Washington 5 times since I turned 46 back in 1999. Tuckermans Ravine is a great climb.
Yup ,it’s one of my favorite places to hike , I climbed 35 of the the 48 4000 foooters, It will test your abilities, the weather is very unpredictable , better be prepared , especially in the winter time ,

I was hoping you had a picture of the old yellow Pinto fully loaded!! That must have been a sight to see
Only in my memories, we were still using real film back then, did not take pics of such mundane stuff!

But I clearly remember putting two very large Red Oak rounds in (had to roll them up in) and when I looked at the Pinto wagon from the side, I thought the front wheels were going to come off the ground!

That vehicle hauled all the wood home to heat my house back then!

I do have a pic of it hauling my big buck home from upstate (near Utica) NY! That was my first archery buck!

Attachments

• BowBuck1983.jpg
    BowBuck1983.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpeg
    IMG_0659.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Yup ,it’s one of my favorite places to hike , I climbed 35 of the the 48 4000 foooters, It will test your abilities, the weather is very unpredictable , better be prepared , especially in the winter time ,
I have never hiked up there in the Winter. My younger brother got caught up there once in 2 feet of snow just above the treeline. The worst I have been in was going up Tuckermans with 90 degrees at the base camp and getting to the top to find 35 degrees on a full overcast day. My wife and I had a lot of fun up there hiking in our younger days and still do to this day. Now it is not about having to conquer a peak but to just enjoy a hike in the woods.

Latest posts

Back