Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still undecided about a Fiskars splitting ax. My current maul (6#) has a handle length of 33.5" and OAL of 36". Checked the internet and get mixed information. Some say X27 has a 36" handle and some say 36" OAL. Any ideas which is right? The X25 has a 28" handle length (OAL?). I usually have to split in a wood pile when I do split by hand, so I don't think a 36" handle would be easy to use. Plus I don't take full swings either. Anyone have a X25? Like it?

I'm still undecided about a Fiskars splitting ax. My current maul (6#) has a handle length of 33.5" and OAL of 36". Checked the internet and get mixed information. Some say X27 has a 36" handle and some say 36" OAL. Any ideas which is right? The X25 has a 28" handle length (OAL?). I usually have to split in a wood pile when I do split by hand, so I don't think a 36" handle would be easy to use. Plus I don't take full swings either. Anyone have a X25? Like it?
I prefer the X25, you can generate a faster swing with more accuracy.

Those tall guys with ape arms (not going to name names) :) prefer the X27.

I just measured; the full length is 36". Most folks I know (including my nephew MechanicMatt) who is not a big guy and has tried and X-25 prefer the X-27. I would recommend the X-27. I just lift it straight up and drop it, but I put some speed on it. Works great for me.

But, as SVK notes, different folks prefer different things.

It's been awhile since I've been on here, hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. The only firewood worthy thing I've done is revamp my DIY splitter.

The old puny 1.5" ram started leaking, and I was never happy with it's power anyway, so upgraded that. The new ram has a 5" bore with a 3.5" rod, meant for a 37 ton splitter. It took quite a bit of modification to fit it, but it's a beast now. Even plowing through some knotty oak with the 4 way.
IMG_20231118_172627794.jpgIMG_20231119_182337476.jpgIMG_20231119_182345882.jpgIMG_20231127_120458026.jpg

It's been awhile since I've been on here, hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. The only firewood worthy thing I've done is revamp my DIY splitter.

The old puny 1.5" ram started leaking, and I was never happy with it's power anyway, so upgraded that. The new ram has a 5" bore with a 3.5" rod, meant for a 37 ton splitter. It took quite a bit of modification to fit it, but it's a beast now. Even plowing through some knotty oak with the 4 way.
View attachment 1130994View attachment 1130991View attachment 1130989View attachment 1130988
Sweet 👍, hope your doing well

Sweet 👍, hope your doing well
Yep, same for you. Just been riding a whole bunch of bikes when I haven't been working. Had to work a bunch extra to afford a new ride, I know you're a Santa Cruz aficionado. My new XC race bike for next season, Blur 4 TR...the "downcountry" build, 120mm fork and 115mm rear travel:

aQRDJrWGsDN91M2YZNI_Z6m0mNkgqO8pzi0owCWymQc-2048x1542.jpg

Yep, same for you. Just been riding a whole bunch of bikes when I haven't been working. Had to work a bunch extra to afford a new ride, I know you're a Santa Cruz aficionado. My new XC race bike for next season, Blur 4 TR...the "downcountry" build, 120mm fork and 115mm rear travel:

Me to , IMG_2237.jpeg

Nice 👍

I just measured; the full length is 36". Most folks I know (including my nephew MechanicMatt) who is not a big guy and has tried and X-25 prefer the X-27. I would recommend the X-27. I just lift it straight up and drop it, but I put some speed on it. Works great for me.

If the Overall Length is 36 than I'll be OK with it. That's what my maul is. If it were a 36 handle (only), I'd be afraid of having to choke up and hitting myself in the gut.

Too bad @CTYank doesn't come around anymore so he could give us his opinion of plastic handled tools :innocent:

I find the X-27 to be the best handheld splitting device I have ever used. You need to put some speed on it to make up for the lack of weight, but the lighter weight will let you keep going for much longer.

I like to whack tough pieces near the far side first, as it gives you more "splitting leverage" than starting in the middle. If it is a tough, large round I will walk a line all the way across, so accuracy is important. Making 2 or 3 different "fault lines" is not good.

I can tell after a few swings if it will split or not. You get that slightly "hollow" sound when it starts to crack. After that, just keep going!

If I don't get that sound, I will either rotate the round 90* or flip it upside down. I usually get stuff to split, but I try to let it dry a bit before working with it, and cooler weather also helps. Warm-sappy wood can absorb so much more punishment!

I am 5-11 and prefer the x25
(I meant to quote the CTYank quote)

I'll never forget the time he got too close to Matt splitting wood at a GTG. A piece hit him right in the leg, and he was complaining like a little girl trying to blame it on Matt.

Knowing how much he always admonished folks about not wearing proper safety equipment, I said to him: "You mean you went too close to a guy splitting wood w/o wearing proper safety equipment?" Boy did that shut him up. I don't think he ever spoke to me again (which was a good thing)!

What was that high end axe he always had to have (Granfors Bruks)??? He could not admit that a X-27 (at a fraction of the cost) could out split it!

Latest posts

Back