Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had some fun/interesting experiences with vines myself :oops: .
I heard about Pete, thanks for the video, I was hoping someone would share about it.

Speaking of safety...

I hate vines...they nearly killed me when I first moved to the "east" fortunately I learned about it on a relatively small tree.

I don't know about you guys, but I encounter vines very often when I'm out with the saws. I've had some hair raising experiences with them.... This story by Cotontop about Nuts319 on YouTube will lead me to be even more careful...

Sorry to hear that about Pete, he's a great guy!!

SR

I hate vines, usually figure them out well, but every now and then you miss something! Fortunately, none of it has hurt me (except when I nicked a finger pulling a vine out of the chain guard ... luckily, I was wearing gloves which reduced the damage ... changed those clutch springs real soon after that)!

I have had to fell a second tree to get the first one to come down!

View attachment 1142341
Someone say garlic?? The last thing I get to plant in the season, the first thing to come up and the first thing I get to harvest. One of my favorite things to grow, we use it in everything.
One of the best natural things for ur cardiovascular system, and overall health,

I hate vines...they nearly killed me when I first moved to the "east" fortunately I learned about it on a relatively small tree.
Been there.
They were pretty killer as a kid too, lots of fun swinging on large ones we'd cut from the base, then swing out over a hill. Til it wasn't fun :surprised3:.
Sorry to hear that about Pete, he's a great guy!!

SR
He is.
Last video I watched it sounded as if it already wasn't going great financially, add a major injury/ hospital bills to that :envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:. I sure hope he has some good insurance.
Tim(cottontop) did a nice job with that video.

When my kids were little I took out my 800 square foot raised bed garden so there was a good flat and fenced area for them top play. After they grew up I put a vegetable garden back in. This time it was in frames and had about 120 square feet of planting area. I got compost from the municipality and completely filled the 18" deep beds. Over time as the compost broke down I added more compost from my own pile... which I've had for 28-30 years. It's been easy to maintain and being all compost it feeds the plants well and holds just the right amount of moisture. I gave my son one of the frames this past year and have about 90 sq feet left. I primarily plant stuff for chili... various types of peppers and tomatoes. One whole bed is for green beans... they keep well in the freezer. That is a whole lot different from 25 years ago when I had 20+ different things in the garden. Keeping it simple now...
We just started composting about two years ago when the wife and I bought our first house together. I've turned it over a couple times and it's starting to look like what I imagine compost should. Will have to mix it into our raised beds come spring. What would you say is the ideal depth for a raised bed? The ones I built are 10" deep and I suspect it may not be enough.

i have read that! even tried in my compost. just made a gray layer. i stopped.

I have read egg shells ok for compost garden, too! i say nix to that... never seen an egg shell decompose! lol

stopped that, too!

🚫
I mix ash and egg shells into my compost pile... I use a mini tiller to mix it up well and break up any plant matter that is stringy. The egg shells break up into tiny pieces in the process and are imperceptible in the garden.

We just started composting about a year and a half ago. I've turned it over a couple times and it's starting to look like what I imagine compost should. Will have to mix it into our raised beds come spring. What would you say is the ideal depth for a raised bed. The ones I built are 10" deep and I suspect it may not be enough.
10" is plenty... I have two 2x10s stacked so mine are about 18" deep with compost. I did this to get more height so they are easier to tend. In the long run, if my lifetime of injuries leave me crippled up, I spaced them so I can put a board between them as a seat while I'm working on them. I lined the frames with landscape cloth to keep the tree roots out... tree roots love compost. Ask me how I know that... 😉

Went sleigh riding with both daughters and 3 grandkids today! :)

I always hope that each year I get at least one day when: 1) there is snow, 2) they are available, and 3) tax season has not yet started!

It was my 2 year old grandson's 1st time!

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_122115613_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240107_122115613_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240107_122211187.jpg
    IMG_20240107_122211187.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240107_122257025_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240107_122257025_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Sleding1-7-24-1of5.jpg
    Sleding1-7-24-1of5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Sleding1-7-24-4of5.jpg
    Sleding1-7-24-4of5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
i have been gardening so long all my remaining beds very friable. mostly just use garden fork to turn.

my poor TB Horse... more less like the appliance repairman with no service calls coming in... lol

recently, turned by garden fork...
View attachment 1142249
I too use a garden fork to loosen mine deeply and then rake it smooth. It's easy to do... can push the fork in with my hands.

I hate vines, usually figure them out well, but every now and then you miss something! Fortunately, none of it has hurt me (except when I nicked a finger pulling a vine out of the chain guard ... luckily, I was wearing gloves which reduced the damage ... changed those clutch springs real soon after that)!

I have had to fell a second tree to get the first one to come down!
Sounds familiar.... Vines seem to have fingers and an opposing thumb that they use to pull chains off bars too. 😉

Latest posts

Back