Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm pretty sure I've shared pictures of the WW2 monumental bunkers. Surrounding the area of the small community in witch I live, and some of WW2 artifacts I've found. Well, I found another one. This one is pretty cool too.
Here's a recap.

8 inch gun emplacement. These big anti ship guns were destroyed with explosives after the war.
Resized_IMG_20220424_182114534_HDR_19370806436537.jpeg

You can see tree different pieces of the big guns chamber and breach at the base of the hill next to my dirt bike.
Resized_IMG_20220424_182211743_HDR_19370307472152.jpeg

A concrete bunker is buried under the hill. It goes below ground three more stories. The bottom two stories were sealed off with concrete after the war. Resized_IMG_20220424_183003919_HDR_19474557387543.jpeg

A section of the 8 inch howitzer's breach and chamber.
Resized_IMG_20220424_184203805_HDR_19587489698319.jpegResized_IMG_20220424_184340010_HDR_19586688898012.jpeg

I was up checking out one of the many different bunkers out here as I often do and I felt something scrape the bottom of my boot while walking in the grass. I looked down and saw what appeared to be oxidized brass. I took a closer and saw the edge of what appeared to be a brass pipe. After gently removing the top soil around it. This is what I found.
A 40mm Mark 2 anit aircraft artillery shell casing!
20240115_195257.jpg

I cleaned it up a bit and added it to my collection of other WW2 artifacts I've found out here.

Left to right.
40mm MK 2 anti aircraft artillery shell casing
3.5 inch surface gun projectile.
Spent 30-06 casing.20240116_222329.jpg20240116_222600.jpg

Sorry that it's not cast iron in this post. Maybe next time. 😉

So I'm pretty sure I've shared pictures of the WW2 monumental bunkers. Surrounding the area of the small community in witch I live, and some of WW2 artifacts I've found. Well, I found another one. This one is pretty cool too.
Here's a recap.

8 inch gun emplacement. These big anti ship guns were destroyed with explosives after the war.
View attachment 1145229

You can see tree different pieces of the big guns chamber and breach at the base of the hill next to my dirt.View attachment 1145230

A concrete bunker is buried under the hill. It goes below ground three more stories. The bottom two stories were sealed off with concrete after the war. View attachment 1145231

Two sections of the 8 inch howitzer's breach
View attachment 1145232View attachment 1145233

I was up checking out one of the many different bunkers out here as I of do and I felt something scrape the bottom of my boot while walking in the grass. I looked down and saw what appeared to be oxidized brass. I took a closer and saw the edge of what appeared to be a brass pipe. After gently removing the top soil around it. This is what I found.
A Mark 2 40mm anita aircraft shell casing!View attachment 1145234

I cleaned it up a bit and added it to my collection of other WW2 artifacts I've found out here.

Left to right.
MK 2 40mm anti aircraft artillery shell casing
Spent 30-06 casing.View attachment 1145235View attachment 1145236

thanks for the memorial post, kid!

watched a good cat n mouse flic last nite, as we sat enjoying the outcome of it all by the fireside. (movie and the future) The Enemy Below. pretty good WWII sub/boat flick for 1957! in color
1705515791179.png

determined to annihilate each other,
then the two captains meet
1705515817726.png

thanks for the memorial post, kid!

watched a good cat n mouse flic last nite, as we sat enjoying the outcome of it all by the fireside. (movie and the future) The Enemy Below. pretty good WWII sub/boat flick for 1957! in color
View attachment 1145253

then the two captains meet
View attachment 1145254
Your most welcome.
The Enemy Below is a great flick.
Robert Mitchum is the man! I like the roll he played in El Dorado.👍
"Let me hear you laugh!"
He was almost as tuff as The Duke in that movie, but not quite, because ain't nobody as tuff as the Duke!😄

Your most welcome.
Robert Mitchum is the man! I like the roll he played in El Dorado.👍
"Let me hear you laugh!"
He was almost as tuff as The Duke in that movie, but not quite, because ain't nobody as tuff as the Duke!😄
i see he was the actor of the month TCM... and they also played in flic with The Duke, as u stated. El Dorado, 1967

i like Mitchum, too!

Kewl, thanks. Still waiting for pix of your cast iron tho. You and @Kodiak Kid are really slackin in that department.
Here's a preview.

The other night I whooped up a one big buttermilk drop biscuit and some venison sausage gravy. I baked the biscuit in an eight quart Dutchoven casted by Lodge cast iron cooking wear. Not in, but on top of the woodstove. Seldom do I roll my biscuits. Rolled or dropped. 🤷 They both taste the same!🤣 The gravy was simmered in an old Findlay #6 about a 7.5 inch skillet manufacturered in Charleston Place. One big biscuit and a course of gravy cooked in a #6 and divided between my Squaw and I. Is plenty of dinner for just the two of us.👍
20240114_202945.jpg
Also, make no mistake. This meal was prepared all from scratch. We do eat a good bit of food out of a box when its convenient and times a virtue. Like mac and cheese, instant spuds, bisquick, pancake mix and things like that. However, seldom will you catch either my Squaw or I. Preparing any type of gravy or sauce out of a packet. Sauces and gravy is most always from scratch. 👍

This morning it was Bacon and farm fresh eggs from the neighbors coop. Also cooked in my #6 Findlay. I really like my Wagners and Griswolds, but, when it comes to quality cast iron. I put Findlay right up there next to both of them. Findlay made some really nice cast skillets. Thin casted with a very smooth cooking surface.👍
20240117_100048.jpg20240117_100637.jpg

Here's a recap.

View attachment 1145229

You can see tree different pieces of the big guns chamber and breach at the base of the hill next to my dirt bike.
View attachment 1145230

A concrete bunker is buried under the hill. It goes below ground three more stories. The bottom two stories were sealed off with concrete after the war. View attachment 1145231

Two sections of the 8 inch howitzer's breach
View attachment 1145232View attachment 1145233

I was up checking out one of the many different bunkers out here as I often do and I felt something scrape the bottom of my boot while walking in the grass. I looked down and saw what appeared to be oxidized brass. I took a closer and saw the edge of what appeared to be a brass pipe. After gently removing the top soil around it. This is what I found.
A Mark 2 40mm anita aircraft shell casing!View attachment 1145234

Left to right.
MK 2 40mm anti aircraft artillery shell casing
Spent 30-06 casing.View attachment 1145235View attachment 1145236

Very cool

Here's a preview.

The other night I whooped up a one big buttermilk biscuit and some venison sausage gravy. I baked the biscuit in an eight quart Dutchoven casted by Lodge cast iron cooking wear. Not in, but on top of the woodstove. The gravy was simmered in an old Findlay #6 about a 7.5 inch skillet manufacturered in Charleston Place. One big biscuit and a course of gravy cooked in a #6 and divided between my Squaw and I. Is plenty of dinner for just the two of us.👍
View attachment 1145268
Also, make no mistake. This meal was prepared all from scratch. We do eat a good bit of food out of a box when its convenient and times a virtue. Like mac and cheese, instant spuds, bisquick, pancake mix and things like that. However, seldom will you catch either my Squaw or I. Preparing any type of gravy or sauce out of a packet. Sauces and gravy is most always from scratch. 👍

This morning it was Bacon and farm fresh eggs from the neighbors coop. Also cooked in my #6 Findlay. I really like my Wagners and Griswolds, but, when it comes to quality cast iron. I put Findlay right up there next to both of them. Findlay made some really nice cast skillets. Thin casted with a very smooth cooking surface.👍
View attachment 1145267View attachment 1145266
can't beat that! or this... 🤩

brunch yesterday. in my OXO's.... an essay

out with the essentials, first. the frozen bacon thaw, (2 mins on low) and the OXO's... i do steak, fries and fish in cast iron, just not eggs.
P1010001.JPGP1010005.JPGP1010002.JPG

Added a 600 Holley and dual exhaust (thrush mufflers - LOUD), and I never got bear by another 289 or 283 (and there were lots of them out there at the time).
Must've because of neck sizing, greased, and zig zagging. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Definitely something to be said about taking a small block to the extreme. Much better handling car than a BB.

entire 3-some total releasability, slide at will... gently over easy. sometimes i even removed pan from stove. don't want it or eggs to get too hot. often off the burner... slow to cook. want perfect whites, soft and done just right. takes time... i don't always hit the mark, with these i did!!~
P1010009.JPGP1010010.JPGP1010011.JPG
i am not a fan of crispy egg white edges... butter FTW!

entire 3-some total releasability, slide at will... gently over easy. sometimes i even removed pan from stove. don't want it or eggs to get too hot. often off the burner... slow to cook. want perfect whites, soft and done just right. takes time... i don't always hit the mark, with these i did!!~
P1010012.JPG
toast optional, i had toasted english muffins, too

What kind of greens are those and are those spuds that your also frying with them greens?
Also, wuts OO?🤔
hi kid, thankx! i needed a spot to do my OXO egg essay, thot maybe SR mite like to see my approach to perfect OXO eggs?!

greens are just scallions. i cut ends off a bunch, still unwrapped from grocery other day. clip, clip... clip! and put in with spuds.

spuds: yes, leftover russets i boiled for beef stew i made up other day. don't like spuds cooked in with stew. ok, once done, but don't like then day old etc. done just boiled always good enuff, imo

OO: Olive Oil

:cool:

That's awesome, don't see too many garages with wood floors anymore.
Did that about 40 years ago . Made a grid with 4x4s to screw the plywood to filled the voids with item 4 tamped and put plastic down then the plywood . It’s been great haven’t had to replace any of the sheets.
Main reason it keeps the tax man at bay . Pole barn without a permanent floor

hi kid, thankx! i needed a spot to do my OXO essay, thot maybe SR mite like to see my approach to perfect OXO eggs?!

greens are just scallions. i cut ends off a bunch, still unwrapped from grocery other day. clip, clip... clip! and put in with spuds.

spuds: yes, leftover russets i boiled for beef stew i made up other day. don't like spuds cooked in with stew. ok, once done, but don't like then day old etc. done just boiled always good enuff, imo

Spuds fry way faster too. When pre boiled or baked. 👍Trust me, I get it.😉

hi kid, thankx! i needed a spot to do my OXO essay, thot maybe SR mite like to see my approach to perfect OXO eggs?!

P1010001.JPG
P1010009.JPGP1010033.JPGP1010037.JPG
P1010036.JPG
chuck was on sale, did the 2" cubes in bacon grease, followed a recipe i liked, mostly for times, and put in 2 bay leaves. a DIY harvest from down the street. they used to have a bay tree before city reclaimed the right-of-way everyone has so nicely used and kept up... gardens, etc. for decades! of course, now the bay is gone and so is the nicely maintained right of way. no further comment needed!!

Back