Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used it the other day for a quick breakfast. It's going into my 'fishing' camp box. Fish before sunrise, quit about 10:00A and cook a fresh fish and egg breakfast. Then back to 'work' :laugh: .

Wagner made Aluminum cookware? I don't use Al anymore. My Mom did when we were kids. Suppose to be the thing back then. Then I heard about some health concerns, which I don't know are true or not, when using Al cookware. So I only use SS or cast iron.
I’ve tried to study up on this a bit.

The consensus now Is that aluminum cookware is safe to use. Probably not the best thing to store acidic food in for long term though.

Really the only thing unsafe to cook in would be cast iron that’s been used to smelt lead or a skillet that has Teflon that is peeling.

The super purists say even stainless steel leaches chemicals while you cook. But glacier from the next ice age will catch you before you die from stainless steel poisoning you.

NY has a similar law you can be written up for going to fast in inclement weather even if your going less than speed limit . Speed unreasonable and imprudent. The posted speed limit is under ideal conditions.

We have that too “Unsafe speed for conditions”. It’s also used in good weather, we have a 55 mph speed limit county wide. But on curvy roads it’s not safe to go 55, you need to reduce accordingly. They do this instead of posting lower limits in all of the corners.

We have that too “Unsafe speed for conditions”. It’s also used in good weather, we have a 55 mph speed limit county wide. But on curvy roads it’s not safe to go 55, you need to reduce accordingly. They do this instead of posting lower limits in all of the corners.
So, drifting through the corners at 2x the limit is out?
bummer…

I’ve tried to study up on this a bit.

The consensus now Is that aluminum cookware is safe to use. Probably not the best thing to store acidic food in for long term though.

Really the only thing unsafe to cook in would be cast iron that’s been used to smelt lead or a skillet that has Teflon that is peeling.

The super purists say even stainless steel leaches chemicals while you cook. But glacier from the next ice age will catch you before you die from stainless steel poisoning you.
I believe the thought at the time was that ingested Al contributed to Alzheimers. I don't need any help in 'loss of memory' department :laugh: . Good to know all the Al I picked up as a kid didn't really hurt me after all.

I believe the thought at the time was that ingested Al contributed to Alzheimers. I don't need any help in 'loss of memory' department :laugh: . Good to know all the Al I picked up as a kid didn't really hurt me after all.
That’s a very legitimate claim, although the connection between aluminum cookware use, and aluminum deposits in Alzheimer patients is very much inconclusive.

Or maybe to put it in a different way… From what I last read, the doctors and scientists are not aware of how the aluminum deposits build up in an Alzheimer patients brain. Just that they are present.

Interestingly enough too, it seems that Alzheimer’s is higher amongst residents of Finland, although their health otherwise is much better than nearly all other countries. There are many health benefits attributed to frequent sauna use, however the high Alzheimer percentage is a head scratcher.

Only get the thick sliced in the 1 lb packs. They have other size pkgs but the 1 lb seems the best.
Roger that, I'll grab some Friday after work on my way home and try it out this weekend.
Correct.

You could be going well under the limit and still get cited.
Although I agree people should slow TF down during inclement weather, laws like that are total bs. Left up to whatever trooper/cop/sherif and what they decide is "slow enough". Seen plenty of our local cops come down on people hard just because they (the cops) were having a bad day, long shift, fight with wife etc. It's an unjust, unquantifiable law.

Met with a sawmill guy yesterday to look at dad's wood lot. One of the few around that will do small acreage. Only 50-60 trees but all really nice. Red,white, black and chestnut oak. He told me the white oak goes to the whiskey barrel makers. Most of the trees are limb free 30-40 feet. Gonna be lots of tops for farwood.

Met with a sawmill guy yesterday to look at dad's wood lot. One of the few around that will do small acreage. Only 50-60 trees but all really nice. Red,white, black and chestnut oak. He told me the white oak goes to the whiskey barrel makers. Most of the trees are limb free 30-40 feet. Gonna be lots of tops for farwood.
Does the sawmill guy collect cast iron? 🍳 :drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts

Back