Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt a Stihl 291 for my cousin. Talk about the idiocy involved in developing that model lol. After you’ve had a couple apart you at least understand how to work on them it but it’s still a completely stupid design.
Been there done that for a friend. New tank after her ran over it!! Not a fun job.

Is that a single wheel Chevy or a two wheel?? ;)
Oh and I forgot. I have a Dodge at the moment. Was cheap and I needed a trk. Doing ok for me tho. Military grade axles with 12 ply tires running 80 psi. It will haul a load!!
My dream truck is a 5/4 military trk with the smelly diesel removed and a good running 454 it's place. I can't stand the smell of diesel fuel or exhaust and I refuse to pay those kind of repair bills. I can do anything I need to on a gasser myself and it would haul/ pull anything I ever would want to.
I know I'm the odd man out, but hey you like what you like!

Idk about the newer vag products, but all the older stuff I've worked on hasn't been very difficult to work on and fairly simplistic in design. Colling system is a Complicated over engineered mess of hoses, but the rest of the car is pretty straight forward. Even doing the clutch in my hetta this weekend was simple and straight forward, took 5 hours from start to finish, if I had to do it again I could probably get that down to 3-4 hours easily.

Just need a jump pack or another battery and aome jumper cables to do it. Pretty easy.
I replaced the batteries in my previous 2003 BMW 330XI and the 2007 Audi A4 Quattro without using a jumper pack and didn't have any problems. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the newer ones would have issues. Although if your battery went completely dead wouldn't that also screw up the car's settings if that was the case?

We work on quite a few German vehicles, we're one of the few independent shops around that will touch them beyond basic maintenance.

They're definitely challenging to work on but usually are very logically designed. For instance on VW/Audi vehicles if you have to work on the front of the engine you usually have to put the bumper in service position. That entails 8 bolts, 10 screws and the bumper can be slid forward 6". It only takes about 20 minutes. It's stuff like that that irritates lots of techs. I don't mind, the customer pays for it.
That is a blessing when doing timing belts!! I’ve done a few on Audi’s

Love that design!! It sure beats all the minivans that you had to remove all the cowl to do anything!

I'll take my SuperSplit over a maul any day of the week. My days of using a maul ended back in the 80's.
Now I've not seen a super split, just fiskars. ( which I like as long as we're not talking big hickory etc.) except for the midget handle. How long are the handles on a super split?

My wife used to have a BMW. The battery died. I went to the auto parts store to buy a new one and they WOULD NOT SELL ONE TO ME. They said I was not allowed to install it, only the dealer could do that.

She now drives a Ford Edge ST and loves it.
Yep...when replacing the battery there's basically a reset that needs to be done so the vehicle knows what kind of battery it is and that it's new. It affects the charging strategy. If you put a new battery in without doing that the new battery will effectively be overcharged.

Oh and I forgot. I have a Dodge at the moment. Was cheap and I needed a trk. Doing ok for me tho. Military grade axles with 12 ply tires running 80 psi. It will haul a load!!
My dream truck is a 5/4 military trk with the smelly diesel removed and a good running 454 it's place. I can't stand the smell of diesel fuel or exhaust and I refuse to pay those kind of repair bills. I can do anything I need to on a gasser myself and it would haul/ pull anything I ever would want to.
I know I'm the odd man out, but hey you like what you like!
I can live with that.
105_0543.JPG

Found a 3 quart dutch oven. $57 and change one place. $68 and change another. Kept lookin. Found it on Amazon at 57% off. $29 and change. Still I thot free would be better. Applied for an Amazon store card and got a free $100 gift card. Will not be using the CC for anything, but $100 in free stuff works for me. Got this so far:
1707323944943.jpeg
1707323969580.jpeg
Do I win scrounge of the day honors? 🍳 :drinkingcoffee:

Idk about the newer vag products, but all the older stuff I've worked on hasn't been very difficult to work on and fairly simplistic in design.
Here's a newer one for you, 3.0 TSFi. I've done chains on 4 of these. The engine has to be removed to access them at the rear of the engine. I would classify these as a royal PITA.
Not my pic... Screenshot_20240207-113430_Google.jpg
The Jettas are pretty straightforward, especially the TDIs. Basically, the fancier and more expensive the model the repairs are more difficult and expensive.

Then the ms441 said hold my beer :laugh:.
The 192 rear handle I have apart is pretty bad too :oops:, hopefully when I get the shop done I can get it back together lol.
At least the 441 has some power
We work on quite a few German vehicles, we're one of the few independent shops around that will touch them beyond basic maintenance.

They're definitely challenging to work on but usually are very logically designed. For instance on VW/Audi vehicles if you have to work on the front of the engine you usually have to put the bumper in service position. That entails 8 bolts, 10 screws and the bumper can be slid forward 6". It only takes about 20 minutes. It's stuff like that that irritates lots of techs. I don't mind, the customer pays for it.
Getting paid makes it worthwhile for the mechanic anyhow. Still think of the millions of hours of unneeded labor each year repairing things that were overengineered.

I replaced the batteries in my previous 2003 BMW 330XI and the 2007 Audi A4 Quattro without using a jumper pack and didn't have any problems. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the newer ones would have issues. Although if your battery went completely dead wouldn't that also screw up the car's settings if that was the case?
would depend on how dead the battery was. The memory should still function down below 12 volts. I want to say like 7 or 8 volts the ecu shuts down completely to protect its self. Idk how that would effect the memory. Newer vehicles I don't have much of any experience with though.
While we're on the Volvo subject, is anyone else here in the marine industry?? Personally, I think they suck compared to their competitors.
Just volvo industrial diesels, had a few Perkins Saber marine engines I worked on from time to time, coupple of cat marine engines never a volvo marine though.
Here's a newer one for you, 3.0 TSFi. I've done chains on 4 of these. The engine has to be removed to access them at the rear of the engine. I would classify these as a royal PITA.
Not my pic... View attachment 1151486
The Jettas are pretty straightforward, especially the TDIs. Basically, the fancier and more expensive the model the repairs are more difficult and expensive.
Ugg, nuts on that.

Just need a jump pack or another battery and aome jumper cables to do it. Pretty easy.
If you know it in advance. They just told me I could not do it, I found out from one of my clients who was a BMW service mgr.

Plus, the auto parts store would not sell me the battery!

Now I've not seen a super split, just fiskars. ( which I like as long as we're not talking big hickory etc.) except for the midget handle. How long are the handles on a super split?
The SuperSplit is a 2 1/2 second kinetic wood splitter. It can be bought with a gas motor or electric motor. I have been using one of these for over 25 years now. Mine is the same as this fairly new one, just more war torn looking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240207-132808_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240207-132808_Google.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 0
Back