Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a newer one for you, 3.0 TSFi. I've done chains on 4 of these. The engine has to be removed to access them at the rear of the engine. I would classify these as a royal PITA.
Not my pic... View attachment 1151486
The Jettas are pretty straightforward, especially the TDIs. Basically, the fancier and more expensive the model the repairs are more difficult and expensive.
Like all the 3.6 Chevy motors. I lost count how many I did….

The SuperSplit is a 2 1/2 second kinetic wood splitter. It can be bought with a gas motor or electric motor. I have been using one of these for over 25 years now. Mine is the same as this fairly new one, just more war torn looking.
Gotcha. I have seen those. Awesome idea!!!! Thanks. I have a splitter and use it most of the time due to shoulder issues but I hand split what I can just because I enjoy it and it's a good work out!

I rebuilt a Stihl 291 for my cousin. Talk about the idiocy involved in developing that model lol. After you’ve had a couple apart you at least understand how to work on them it but it’s still a completely stupid design.
Working on a 310 now...getting out that stud that secures the bottom of the motor is a real pita.

Upstairs at the farm I removed the plaster from a wall. Inside the wall was a framed picture of a very pretty woman dating back to the early 1900's. We have no idea who this woman is. My inlaws passed away years ago. There was no name on the back of the picture. Why anyone would hide a picture inside of a wall is beyond me.
Someone's mistress...😉

My wife used to have a BMW. The battery died. I went to the auto parts store to buy a new one and they WOULD NOT SELL ONE TO ME. They said I was not allowed to install it, only the dealer could do that.

She now drives a Ford Edge ST and loves it.
I saw a TikTok video while hanging out in an ER near you yesterday... I wasn't the patient. The guy in the video was talking about his wife's Porsche Cayenne. At three years old the battery failed 15 days after the warranty ran out. He's thinking $3-500 at the Porsche dealership for the battery and labor. Nope... $2,500 with $200 of that labor. It seems that the MTF for the battery is 3 years.... that and the $400 oil changes and $2,000+ for a set of tires and he's thinking he may not be a Porsche guy... Said he never would have gotten it for his wife if he understood how expensive maintenance was. My neighbor's wife has a Cayenne. She switched from a real throaty V8 Mercedes-Benz 4 dr. sedan. It reminded me of an American muscle car the way it rumbled at idle. Apparently she's a fast chick. 😉

Well, I’m driving home from my nephews, Stihl chainsaws 362, 261C, 201
Husqvarna chainsaw, 272, 562, 550, 268, and another one I think might be a 55.
Echo chainsaws, those two top handled. I think they are 301 maybe I didn’t really look as don’t have much interest in them. Then piles and piles of parts, another Husqvarna chainsaw case that is split in half tons of covers, I’ll be sorting through it later. Uncle Mike after tax season, you can come by and pick up the German German chainsaws

Day 2 on the Red elm. Lots of hand splitting with the 8 pounder
KIMG5798.JPG
and some noodling too. (especially late in the day) and anything with a crotch :omg:
Rocked my chain first thing while brushing a path in :angry: but still good enough for the trunk, which is mostly punk, darn it. But there'll be a cord of good wood out of it.
Hauled a sled load out, got lunch, gas, and sharpened chain, then wife came and helped for the second trip.
KIMG5799.JPG
Tarped a stack of splits for late spring when I can get back there with the trailer.
Rain tomorrow. More to get out "later".
In the background you can see a bitternut leaning on a dead ash, looks like fun...
Scrounge on!

Took down a 24" almost dead Pine today before it dropped any more branches on one of my logging roads. I started cleaning up another mess right aside of the Pine that was snapped in half smaller trees and grape vines.

Attachments

• 20240207_165312.jpg
    20240207_165312.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240207_165248.jpg
    20240207_165248.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, stopped by my logging buddies house to get an old Onan generator going for him. Something I've been meaning to do for some time now. When he called rhe other day, he said "bring your trailer and pit the sides on." Got a pretty good loads of shorts from him. Should have to buck much of it up, just split and toss in the shed. Felt kinda bad, it didn't take much work to get the generator going, and it's a decent load of wood.

Came across a supposedly good condition and running 066 for a bit over $300 in a bidding war on ebay. I'm kinda tempted to make a bid but my 395 clone is doing me fine for the rare cases I uses it, better than my old 066 that I sold for a grand and don't regret

The SuperSplit is a 2 1/2 second kinetic wood splitter. It can be bought with a gas motor or electric motor. I have been using one of these for over 25 years now. Mine is the same as this fairly new one, just more war torn looking.
I don't split much wimpy wood, so I'll stick with this,

IMG-1465-S.jpg

It pushes EVERYTHING through its 4-way wedge,

IMG-1461-S.jpg

SR

Latest posts

Back