Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to blindly run Ultra because synthetic = good right? It was not until we had several spark screens and plugs get fouled/clogged and I did some research and found out otherwise.

I have since switched to red armor 40:1, but my dad still runs orange Stihl at 50:1 and has for a long long time and his saws pre date my existence by like 10 years soooooo...... there is that. I have also torn down several of his that he retired to me because he says he no longer has the patience to fix them lol, and have seen no evidence of increased wear or excess carbon build up.

I think folks get too wound up on what oil to run, mix it at your preferred ratio with good gas and let er rip tater chip! Unless its Ultra, ultra should be deleted.
I have had the same experience. Orange bottle is all I've ever ran with zero issues. Will try the red armour if I ever find it just because so many on here think highly of it.

Okay, just for the record: I stihl plan on using 2 cycle oil in my saws and I ain't nobodies tater chip. Obviously this has been a very slippery subject. Time to go make breakfast in my cast iron skillets and contrary to popular belief 2 cycle oil doesn't season cast iron as well as some of you saw lovers think.:drinkingcoffee::chainsaw:

I used to blindly run Ultra because synthetic = good right? It was not until we had several spark screens and plugs get fouled/clogged and I did some research and found out otherwise.

I have since switched to red armor 40:1, but my dad still runs orange Stihl at 50:1 and has for a long long time and his saws pre date my existence by like 10 years soooooo...... there is that. I have also torn down several of his that he retired to me because he says he no longer has the patience to fix them lol, and have seen no evidence of increased wear or excess carbon build up.

I think folks get too wound up on what oil to run, mix it at your preferred ratio with good gas and let er rip tater chip! Unless its Ultra, ultra should be deleted.
I ran the Ultra because it was synthetic. I also ran it .9 gallons to a bottle. Bad idea. It plugged the screen on my 026 in one season. I switched to the Motul @ 40:1 and haven't looked back. It's clean and it smells good to boot.

I have had the same experience. Orange bottle is all I've ever ran with zero issues. Will try the red armour if I ever find it just because so many on here think highly of it.
I am on my first 2 gallons of it so far and my biggest like about it is how little it smokes and I think it smells good lol. Time will tell on how it burns, but the plugs in the 2 saws I’ve ran it so far look great.

We will see how my old hk-24 homelite weeedeater likes it in the very near future

Okay, just for the record: I stihl plan on using 2 cycle oil in my saws and I ain't nobodies tater chip. Obviously this has been a very slippery subject. Time to go make breakfast in my cast iron skillets and contrary to popular belief 2 cycle oil doesn't season cast iron as well as some of you saw lovers think.:drinkingcoffee::chainsaw:
I can get on board with the cast iron, cast iron cookware > anything else you can cook in/with.

I run the gray bottle Husqvarna oil. Usually at 40:1.

I have since switched to red armor 40:1, but my dad still runs orange Stihl at 50:1 and has for a long long time and his saws pre date my existence by like 10 years soooooo...... there is that. I have also torn down several of his that he retired to me because he says he no longer has the patience to fix them lol, and have seen no yesevidence of increased wear or excess carbon build up.

Yes

New name change for the thread. Scrounging firewood and best oil thread.:cool:
Ran the stihl orange bottle till they came out with the ultra. Prolly at 45:1. 90 octane no E gas. Haven't blown a saw up or had any screen clogging. New plug in the saws I'm running at the start of every season. Fight me.:laughing:

New name change for the thread. Scrounging firewood and best oil thread.:cool:
Ran the stihl orange bottle till they came out with the ultra. Prolly at 45:1. 90 octane no E gas. Haven't blown a saw up or had any screen clogging. New plug in the saws I'm running at the start of every season. Fight me.:laughing:
My biggest mistake was tuning. It was running way too rich. It wouldn't even do 10k rpm with a clean screen. Thanks to you fellas on here I learned how to tune.

Almost all my saws are ported, and the others have work done to them. I mill with an Asian 660 that dynoed at 8.6 Hp. Ditto for saws I've sold to others (both OEM and Asian Clones). Milling and stumping are two of the toughest things you can ask a saw to do.

Anyone who thinks the 2 cycle oil they use, and the ratio does not matter has not fixed as many saws I I have seen.

Those who don't take my advice on oil and ratio often have problems, those who do take my advice don't. Sometimes, it is the same person after a failure or two (it takes some longer to learn than others).

FYI, almost all the "oil failure" saws I have seen were run by someone other than me who thought all 2 cycle oils are the same!

Not saying it is the best, but Saber at 40:1 is VG.

Many other two cycle oils will not lubricate as well, and others will not burn clean at 40:1. Both can result in failure.

the subject of my question has been covered before, but I don't remember the answer. People say not to use ethanol gas. It dries xxxx out. What parts does the ethanol effect?

And if I switch my saws from 46:1 to 40:1, would I have to retune the carb?

the subject of my question has been covered before, but I don't remember the answer. People say not to use ethanol gas. It dries xxxx out. What parts does the ethanol effect?

Carb diaphragms , and gaskets,

I went from 50:1 to 40:1 recently and had to tweak on my tunes a tad

It seems a majority favor the 40:1 Vs 50:1. I have been years at 50:1 with no issues, but I'm not above learning. I firmly believe the one who thinks he has nothing left to learn, is actually the biggest fool of all! I may go to 40:1 for a bit and see how things go. Especially for the vintage mag monsters. I think I would jump in front of a moving train if I smoked my pm 700's or 850!!

Latest posts

Back