Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
febafe83f2f164c9f240efe8b999b227.jpg

My dad had luck this morning. Today was opening day of gun season in Mi.

Last day of deer hunting for us. We've given it a lot of time and the deer just aren't out there. I located some fresher tracks yesterday but still no luck.

My hunting buddy isn't a fan of 5 am wake ups.

View attachment 461449

I've already spoke with 3 or 4 people that are giving it up this year too, not seeing anything.
I gotta tell ya, the numbers are really down, I don't believe any of them dam DNR statistics, the last 5 years deer have just been slaughtered here in Indiana. I drive to work to Mt Carmel, about 15 miles from me I leave for work at 6 and come home at 1900 , prime times for seeing em, I used to see what I would call herds of them....20 or more. I drive all thru the river bottoms to work, I'm explaining this cause I want you to know this is prime area for deer and they just aren't here, and haven't been for the last 3 years. The last 2 weeks driving to work, I may have seen 10 deer, where as I usually would've already seen a hundred or more.

Scrounged up my first full size egg from my flock of biddies I put in this summer, yaaa! To thank them I put a wheelbarrow full of fresh oakzilla dust, chips and noodles into their coop, err..WS's apartment downstairs...

Attachments

• IMG_20151115_145313.jpg
    IMG_20151115_145313.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20151115_130702.jpg
    IMG_20151115_130702.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Ryan, it might take awhile to sell, haul while you can. Don't forget to do a good job, maybe the next owner won't be a wood burner but would like the place cleaned up. If they are a wood burner they might not have time to cut and you can work out a cutting arrangement deal, 3 for you 1 for them type?

e6e6221061db31a18848025c565e95fc.jpg

d387005145d8ca5957c3a900b56b89ca.jpg

d02dd70204b84d7af46faba3d8e1c205.jpg

Good day today. I think there is somewhere around 1.5 cords of dead dry ash on the trailer.

A buddy of mine had his placed logged and said take all I want. I think there is around 40 cords. Sad news is he is putting the property up for sale next week.
nice haul Ryan. :rock2: looks like your workin that lil green machine pretty good. like Cantoo said .saw saw saw .

Ryan, it might take awhile to sell, haul while you can. Don't forget to do a good job, maybe the next owner won't be a wood burner but would like the place cleaned up. If they are a wood burner they might not have time to cut and you can work out a cutting arrangement deal, 3 for you 1 for them type?
That is my current plan. Haul as much as I can in log lengths now to store at my property. If it sells, I will go back and clean up all the brush of the tops I have been working on. As of right now he is cleaning the brush and I'm taking the logs out. It'll be nice if I can get far enough ahead to start paying back some of the equipment I have and give some away to people in our church.

Geez Zogger , you know any trappers , hardwood sawdust is the best floor dry when they're scraping the fat from their pelts .
You want to see that stuff burn LOL
No scrounging today :(
I realized that I needed more spots to stack and keep it organized so late this afternoon I scrounged 3 pallets and made a spot for the next , next year's wood lol

IMG_20151115_171145.jpg

Now to start filling these racks :)

Scored a nice scrounge of red oak, shagbark hickory and slippery elm the other day. Hellish job getting it out though. The trees had recently been felled and pushed into a pile along with the brush. So I had to slowly hack away at the brush and toss aside to get to the trees underneath, cut the rounds and wheelbarrow them 150' uphill to the truck. Needless to say I got a good workout and that was before the splitting began! The oak and hickory was easy splitting but the elm is a different story and needs the wedge and sledge treatment or I may need to borrow a splitter again.

2015-11-15 17.38.51.jpg

I don't think my body is made out of muscle and blood. It sure feels more like it's made out of mud. I dragged the splitter out and went after some of the hickory that was delivered last week and a few of the cherry chunks from a month or two ago. Then stacked most of that along with the ash that had already been split with the Fiskars. Sure felt like it was 16 tons anyway... ;)

Congrats to your Dad for that fine looking Deer.

I was just splitting some large Elm yesterday (had to go to vertical mode), sure glad I got that hydro this year, that stuff is tough!

Tougher than woodpecker lips, it is! I may just wait until we get some subfreezing days to try to split those rounds. The maul was just bouncing off them!

Latest posts

Back