Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did up about a cord of aspen by headlamp tonight. Hired a neighbor kid to help me load it so I could split non stop. Wood was frozen which made the job go a little quicker.

The Husky S2800 is far and away the most efficient splitting tool I've used. Switched to the X27 mid way and went back to the Husky.

I love dealing with ants this time of year ;)

image.jpeg

The S2800 and it's quarry.
image.jpeg

Ready to go.
image.jpeg

That's a pretty strong declaration.

Could it be species dependent?

(Better than the Leveraxe?)

Philbert
I've split with them (x27 and S2800) in multiple species and the results have been the same. I wanted to give it several different tries before declaring a winner.

Leveraxe is still the tool for making small splits in short, straight grained round. However as a general splitting tool, the S2800 has no peer that I've seen so far.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars-x27-vs-husqvarna-s2800.289852/

Did up about a cord of aspen by headlamp tonight. Hired a neighbor kid to help me load it so I could split non stop. Wood was frozen which made the job go a little quicker.

The Husky S2800 is far and away the most efficient splitting tool I've used. Switched to the X27 mid way and went back to the Husky.

I love dealing with ants this time of year ;)

View attachment 466660

The S2800 and it's quarry.
View attachment 466661

Ready to go.
View attachment 466662

That's looks like some easy splitting wood. Pics remind me of poplar.

Beautiful day in the neighborhood here.

View attachment 466469

We got bubkas out of that. Maybe 2 inches.

The roads were skittish in some places from the freezing slush.

That's looks like some easy splitting wood. Pics remind me of poplar.

Yep. Aspen is a type of poplar.

Also some of the hardest wood I have tried to split when wet. You get sprayed with sap when the axe struck and would not give up the ghost.

We got bubkas out of that. Maybe 2 inches.

The roads were skittish in some places from the freezing slush.

Yep. Aspen is a type of poplar.

Also some of the hardest wood I have tried to split when wet. You get sprayed with sap when the axe struck and would not give up the ghost.

Oh crap, thought aspen was an evergreen sort of like pine. Why the hell are you guys wasting your time with poplar?

Because it's there and needs to be cut. I've been working away at the overly mature aspen in my wood lot for a couple of years. Only 6 cords to go now. It's good firewood just burns fast.

I see, good luck. The poplar I had to burn last year sucked. Granted it was too wet. It seems to really suck up moisture and rots fast. Once dry it does produce a lot of heat but doesn't last long. Also, it does a poor job of producing coals. All I was left with was fluffy ash.

Tulip poplar is about 90% of what I am burning lately. I go heavy with it in the stacks at the fall and spring ends, the physical ends of the stacks I mean, heavy on better woods in the middle. I didn't use up my "spring" end of the stack last winter so that's what I am using now, haven't even touched my this season's wood yet.

Yes, no coals to speak of and lots of fluffy ash, but boy does it burn HOT! I had similar experience last year with about a 1/2 cord of Holly that I happened across. It split easy and burned like crazy, but it left a pile of ash nearly 30% the size of the original log/split!

Did you read about all the studies done on basements and crawl spaces? Basically you're supposed to totally seal the perimeter walls, use insulating foam boards, then possible fiber glass posted along framing. Of course plastic barrier sheets on dirt floors. Remove and seal vents. Remove fiberglass from floor ceilings in crawl space and basement. That's another project I need to do

Yup that's what encapsulating is. They used foam boards on the walls taped to plastic on the floor and spray insulation at the top. They also removed all the pink stuff. I have a wireless hydrometer in there to tell me if there is a moisture problem. It helped quite a bit as my floors in some areas you couldn't stand on barefoot it was so cold. Also pipes under the house would freeze.

Yup that's what encapsulating is. The use foam boards on the walls taped to plastic on the floor and spray insulation at the top. They also removed all the pink stuff. I have a wireless hydrometer in there to tell me if there is a moisture problem. It helped quite a bit as my floors in some areas you couldn't stand on barefoot it was so cold. Also pipes under the house would freeze.

Oh sorry lol. Spray insulation at the top of what?

Oh sorry lol. Spray insulation at the top of what?

The top of the block where the wood meets the foundation. So air can't travel up the walls. It would work too but they put the vinyl siding over the lapboard siding so it travels left to right. Basically I have all the normal old house issues with none of the character.

The top of the block where the wood meets the foundation. So air can't travel up the walls. It would work too but they put the vinyl siding over the lapboard siding so it travels left to right. Basically I have all the normal old house issues with none of the character.

I see. That sounds exactly what I read you're supposed to do. Sucks it doesn't work very well. What has to be done to fix it?

I'm happy to be back in the deer woods again. This time on the other side of the state in NW PA. Hope to scrounge up a deer between now and Tuesday when I head home.

Home sweet camp for the long weekend.
8895d73cd0653ffe327d458bc55051b7.jpg

I'm happy to be back in the deer woods again. This time on the other side of the state in NW PA. Hope to scrounge up a deer between now and Tuesday when I head home.

Home sweet camp for the long weekend.
8895d73cd0653ffe327d458bc55051b7.jpg

Nice place but damn, all those coolers, just how many different flavors of bottled water do you have to have?

I see. That sounds exactly what I read you're supposed to do. Sucks it doesn't work very well. What has to be done to fix it?

Sorry it works well but my house is so poorly insulated it's just been an uphill battle. It cured our floor and frozen pipes but our windows are poorly insulated around them and my attic is poorly insulated. So I'm working through it as I get the $$ it seems like each project is 4-5k though.

Back