Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to my world. LOl..

Oh....a 4 ft base OAK....that's awesome to you who lives in a warm climate. lol. Trade you a Popple.

I have often wondered how in the hell do those guys in the cold areas heat with that wimpy wood and work outside full time in winter. I'm betting you could teach me a thing or 2 about insulation and sealing to keep the cold out. I will burn almost anything but the last few years white oak has been the one with greatest availability by far.
Then there is the other side of the coin, Zogger in Georgia. In the summer that state is one sticky hot SOB.
Maybe I should be happy where I am. LOL

Welcome to my world. LOl..

Oh....a 4 ft base OAK....that's awesome to you who lives in a warm climate. lol. Trade you a Popple.
No kidding. Glad my aspen days are numbered. 7 cords left to go on my property.

If I could only have one saw out of mine it would be the 394. And yes that includes 2 modded 7900's with unlimited coils. Give me the 394, you are never undergunned.
Never ran a 394 or 395 but I hear they are like a scaled up 550 which makes me giggle.

Well I finally finished my garage wiring project. Stupid idiot that I am, when I didn't have enough wire from the big roll to do the second circuit, I went back and bought a roll too short to do it in one shot and ended up installing a junction box. Not that it matters as it's in the rafters and will be covered if we ever sheet and insulate.

...now there's a man protecting his cold beer appliance 'with authority' putting it on a dedicated circuit...lol.
A few years ago we were hooking up an electric sauna stove. Sent my wife to the fleet supply for wire. Guy there starts arguing with her that she doesn't need 4 gauge wire even after she says she was sent there specifically for 4 ga. Finally she yells at him "MY DAD IS A MASTER ELECTRICIAN AND SAYS WE NEED 4 GAUGE. ARE YOU GOING TO SELL IT TO ME OR NOT?!!!" Yes ma'am lol.

My bad Marshy, wasn't directed at you at all.

I worded that wrong. I meant those that live in warm climates always seem to get these incredible hardwood scrounges.

Oh I am aware of what New York is capable of. My sister lived in Ithaca for a few years so I got the first hand accounts.

And I am on the same page as you also for burning the softer woods during the "warmer" times. My wood piles are actually set up that way going from early to late season by wood quality.
I know what your saying about the warmer climates getting promo wood though. Those two trees of oak would probably be nearly 2/3 of a seasons supply for me.

Beautiful day in the neighborhood here.

View attachment 466469
Saw on the news that you guys up there were in for some of the white stuff. Out east too. NB, NF, and parts of Cape Breton getting a wallop I hear.
Ours here in Southern Ontario is non existent. We did have fun with ice rain on Tuesday though. TONS of auto accidents from it.
Got the winter wheels on the Grand Cherokee and the snow blower set up and shovels at the ready....so I'm now officially ready for it all, but I'm only 5'10" so I'm gonna be colder....lol.

Nah, it had two handles at one point. It was still hard but my first scrounge site was closer to the road. Now it's about 200 yards further in, uphill both ways lol. I have all the materials needed to fix the handle this weekend so you all can get off my back about it. For my next scrounge I'll make sure it's roadside.
@Ambull01 Dont forget, we need pics of the repaired wood mover:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Latest posts

Back