Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 464071 Cut this monster today. That's my 365 on top for scale. I hate cutting these like this but free is free. Cut this one completely from both sides and it never moved....I backed away. Lol. Get the farmer to nudge it with the bucket.
Next one was a double trunker laying with one on top of the other. I made a relief cut in the bottom of the top trunk, then down from the top as it's popping and creaking. I chickened out close to the bottom and decided to do a parallel cut about a foot closer to the root and it was opening up nice and easy until it pinched the bar. No amount of wedging and prying would help so I unbolted the power head and called it a night.
Your scrounge is killing me. Thats some nice wood there! Its also 80cc territory for bucking the trunk. :baba: @Ambull01, take note of this will ya? lol :crazy:

Your scround is killing me. Thats some nice wood there! Its also 80cc territory for bucking the trunk. :baba: @Ambull01, take not of this will ya? lol :crazy:
I know, right? I NEED an 80cc saw! A buddy of mine who owes me some money and happens to be a makita dealer got me thinking... But I noticed makita doesn't list the 7910 in Canada anymore. What gives?
I recently filed the rakers using the little guide thingy on my 365, and I couldn't believe how fast it cut through this trunk!
Maybe the last owner did the 365-372 mod, I haven't opened anything on this saw except to clean the air filter. And I don't intend to its a screamer.

Your scround is killing me. Thats some nice wood there! Its also 80cc territory for bucking the trunk. :baba: @Ambull01, take not of this will ya? lol :crazy:

Welcome to my world. LOl..

Oh....a 4 ft base OAK....that's awesome to you who lives in a warm climate. lol. Trade you a Popple.

I know, right? I NEED an 80cc saw! A buddy of mine who owes me some money and happens to be a makita dealer got me thinking... But I noticed makita doesn't list the 7910 in Canada anymore. What gives?
I recently filed the rakers using the little guide thingy on my 365, and I couldn't believe how fast it cut through this trunk!
Maybe the last owner did the 365-372 mod, I haven't opened anything on this saw except to clean the air filter. And I don't intend to its a screamer.

Imo...skip the 80cc and go for a big boy. At least the upper of 80cc to start. A 288 Lite would be sweet.

There's some dandy's in the classified section or at the least the last time I looked.

If I could only have one saw out of mine it would be the 394. And yes that includes 2 modded 7900's with unlimited coils. Give me the 394, you are never undergunned.

Well, yesterday and last night we scrounged up a LOT of rain. bottom fields partially flooded but it was drained by the time I took pics today. You can see it in the one pic where there is a line of washed down leaves built up in the field (from a cross ditch flooding last night), it almost made it to the creek. My recently repaired creek barricade got whooshed apart again, but the middle section is still holding by one strand. Waterfall down the hill from the lake overflow is spectacular cool! And man, do we got mud. Another inch of rain would have been way over the top, luckily it quit early this morning. the overflow tile/pipe is one foot diameter, it was one inch into the pipe yesterday, this morning, right at the top, the lake went up 11 inches overnight.

Attachments

• IMG_20151202_103113.jpg
    IMG_20151202_103113.jpg
    855.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20151202_103134.jpg
    IMG_20151202_103134.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20151202_103207.jpg
    IMG_20151202_103207.jpg
    970.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20151202_103340(2).jpg
    IMG_20151202_103340(2).jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20151202_103917.jpg
    IMG_20151202_103917.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20151202_104029.jpg
    IMG_20151202_104029.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20151202_105140.jpg
    IMG_20151202_105140.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 39
I burn the crap out of pine. White, Red, and Tamarack. I love it and the pitchier the better.

Pine is the only thing that I don't feel the need to dry. Many times I have gone from cut and split to stove in the same breath.

It ignites instantly as long as it is split.

Last year Santa Saws gave the neighbor through the woods and one of the Doctors he works with a tote of fresh cut and split Tamarack.

They both have really nice high efficiency indoor stoves.

They absolutely loved it. Santa told them just to use in in the morning on the bed of coals first then put the other wood on. Santa was told that the Tamarack was in flames in under a minute.

When I put a load of cut/split Tamarack in the stove house, it always reeks of turpentine for a few days. I figure that can't be all bad for igniting purposes.

We have no natural pine woods here and the pine burning phobia is solidly entrenched but I trust your advice should I ever come across a quantity of pine again.
Now I am a little suspicious on the gifting of wood to the doctors, smacks of suck-up. So what are you after, a free colonoscopy? Please though, pictures are not necessary to confirm that event. LOL

We have no natural pine woods here and the pine burning phobia is solidly entrenched but I trust your advice should I ever come across a quantity of pine again.
Now I am a little suspicious on the gifting of wood to the doctors, smacks of suck-up. So what are you after, a free colonoscopy? Please though, pictures are not necessary to confirm that event. LOL

Co-workers that are up on the next pay grade that are not real savvy on firewood.

The neighbor through the woods burns the crap out of basswood...yep basswood. He loves it so....who am I to complain. Here try this....Gin and tonic please...

All is well.

Holee Schmolee Zog....

You better go to bed with your swimmie's on.

hahahaha! Use me sleepin schnorkel, hahaha! We are in a bigazz valley with the mountains on either side, when it rains, wait a bit...it all ends up here. A few years ago we got six inches in like 4 hours, now that was a flood. Dang linkbux hacker wiped out the pics I had up here though. Whitecaps across the lower ends of both bottom fields. All sorts of flotsam and jetsam after it receded, coolest was I found a pellet gun and a stinkray bmx bike, both functional. No telling from how far away it went through someones garage or yard and washed it down here. Took my Gf and I two weeks to undig the fence and put it back up. Good thing with this storm is I moved the cows to the upper fields just before it started.

Hang in there buddy.

It sounds like you need to sleep with one eye open for a few days until everything squares itself out.

Not the same sleeping with one eye open when dealing with a pissed off Mafia Princess...but non the less.

That water can be on you fast and quick.

Your scrounge is killing me. Thats some nice wood there! Its also 80cc territory for bucking the trunk. :baba: @Ambull01, take note of this will ya? lol :crazy:

No, no. How can millions of 60cc or smaller saws be wrong? People have been cutting firewood for decades with less than 80cc saws and they've been doing just fine. On the other hand, I already have a 90cc saw!

I told you guys months ago about the file gizmo ;)
I have 3 sizes , not cheap but worth it to me :)

Yep you did, I remember. I have a plastic piece of crap Oregon clamp on bar guide and I'm sticking with it until it falls apart.

No, no. How can millions of 60cc or smaller saws be wrong? People have been cutting firewood for decades with less than 80cc saws and they've been doing just fine. On the other hand, I already have a 90cc saw!
I was busting on you not from a saw size standpoint but from a work load. Granted he doesn't have to hump chunks of wood out of the woods like you are but I think the volume makes up for it. ;)

Welcome to my world. LOl..

Oh....a 4 ft base OAK....that's awesome to you who lives in a warm climate. lol. Trade you a Popple.

Imo...skip the 80cc and go for a big boy. At least the upper of 80cc to start. A 288 Lite would be sweet.

There's some dandy's in the classified section or at the least the last time I looked.

If I could only have one saw out of mine it would be the 394. And yes that includes 2 modded 7900's with unlimited coils. Give me the 394, you are never undergunned.
I'm not quite sure what the comment means about me being in a warmer climate. We still have harsh winters where I live, its not North Dakota cold but we get plenty of the white stuff, more than Michigan. I burn popple if I have it at the beginning of the season when its upper 30's - 40's but I burn the best hard wood I can get for the rest of the season.

A 281/288 would be perfect for bucking that up. A 385 would be even better, not to say you can't go bigger but a 80cc would be my preferred minimum sized saw. I have a 285 that would be right at home with a 30 inch bar on it. It's not really economical for a firewood hack to buy a huge bar because you probably won't use it very often. It's cheaper to own a shorter bar and cut from both sides when able.

I'm not quite sure what the comment means about me being in a warmer climate. We still have harsh winters where I live, its not North Dakota cold but we get plenty of the white stuff, more than Michigan. I burn popple if I have it at the beginning of the season when its upper 30's - 40's but I burn the best hard wood I can get for the rest of the season.

A 281/288 would be perfect for bucking that up. A 385 would be even better, not to say you can't go bigger but a 80cc would be my preferred minimum sized saw. I have a 285 that would be right at home with a 30 inch bar on it. It's not really economical for a firewood hack to buy a huge bar because you probably won't use it very often. It's cheaper to own a shorter bar and cut from both sides when able.

My bad Marshy, wasn't directed at you at all.

I worded that wrong. I meant those that live in warm climates always seem to get these incredible hardwood scrounges.

Oh I am aware of what New York is capable of. My sister lived in Ithaca for a few years so I got the first hand accounts.

And I am on the same page as you also for burning the softer woods during the "warmer" times. My wood piles are actually set up that way going from early to late season by wood quality.

9* this morning. Cook stove loaded with scrounged beech, and a batch of buttermilk biscuits in the oven.
View attachment 465681

Missed this pic. That's a beautiful stove. I've never seen a wood stove in person. Not really sure how the hell the oven works with firewood as heat lol

I was busting on you not from a saw size standpoint but from a work load. Granted he doesn't have to hump chunks of wood out of the woods like you are but I think the volume makes up for it. ;)

Wait a minute now, are you calling me lazy!? lol. It's true, I've been slacking. Half a cord and I usually start to get clumsy so I call it a day. Still don't know how you guys do it. Always thought I was in decent shape but hauling out wheel barrow loads of firewood kicks my butt.

Its easier when the wheel barrow has two handles. Just sayin.

Nah, it had two handles at one point. It was still hard but my first scrounge site was closer to the road. Now it's about 200 yards further in, uphill both ways lol. I have all the materials needed to fix the handle this weekend so you all can get off my back about it. For my next scrounge I'll make sure it's roadside.

Wheelbarrows!!! Try carrying large rounds up hill & then going over a rock wall with them (last year's big Ash scrounge), and there was snow on the ground.

It does help to be in shape.

I prefer dragging a sled. Last winter it was much easier. There's weeds all over the place with some wicked thorns now. My son had some fun the other day chopping them down with my machete. I'll get in scrounging shape soon.

Latest posts

Back