Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One swipe with the mighty Poulan (ok, maybe just plain old Poulan) and my husqvarna bar and chain was liberated like the sword from the stone! Looks to be no worse for the wear. View attachment 465423I'm going to need it, because there is a bit of wood here. View attachment 465424

If you are real good you can read the wood stress areas and that will not happen. If not, you should become close friends with wedges.......like I do. LOL
BTW, great trees. Happy cutting.

If vice grips and duct tape can't fix it, it's beyond repair.

You would be lucky to get an arrow thru that pecker pole maze.

Got a call from my neighbor, he had a stack of hardwood and wanted to know if I wanted it.
Is a pigs azz pork? Offered to help me load it, but my buddy Tom showed up and we fetched it.
Nice pile of Oak and Maple, made a well rounded load in the Dakota PU.
He had cut them 24", too long for my furnace, like to keep them under 20", 18" is better.
I never said a word about being too long. I got saws and the cut offs burn just fine.
Besides, he just bought the 20acre around his house, to prevent development. That puts him around 50acre,
most of it in woods, lots of dead and leaners. Future scrounging?
Sorry no pics, even if I knew how to use the camera, I could never learn to post the pics. I don't even own a cell fone. What do I do for a phone?
Hey kid, would you call AAA and tell them the old man need help?

I think you are sewing some good seeds there. The woods is a great place to be the clean-up guy.

Farmer Steve, are you out getting wet today in this rain?

Hardly anyone in the woods on the game lands.

I wish I could come and clean up some of the rounds they left in a nice neat pile out here when they clear cut a section of these woods. So much oak just sitting there.
out and now in for a bowl of oatmeal. just a heavy drizzle here. puttin on the sneakin clothes and gone back out after them. they don't wanna come to me i'll go to them.
the only thing that got wet was the gun. thank goodness for stainless and synthetic

I don't even own a cell fone. What do I do for a phone?
Hey kid, would you call AAA and tell them the old man need help?

I'm seriously considering turning mine off when my contract runs out. My job provides me with a phone, so it's kind of silly to keep paying for the personal line. I get crap reception on the dang thing at home anyways and only use it for texting when I'm at the house. Will still need to keep the wife in a phone though I suppose. Meh...

right in the logs themselves. I think they drill holes and put the mushroom spores inside and let er go. He is going to store them in an old grain bin I think.

As to the echo I had, it was more comparable to my poulan 505 for power, just enough for a three foot bar. The echo had the additional manual oiler button as well as auto oiling. It was good enough for anything big I tried it on, it pulled that chain fine. Not wicked fast as to RPMs but it just kept pulling, I called it Rhino.... Wicked easy starting once I had the carb tweaked well. The husky 394 can run a 4 footer stock (although I don't have a 4 footer yet), and this one is ported. It is obviously more saw, but shoot, more displacement plus ported makes for some serious ponies and mules. Quite a bit stouter to pull over.

I want to try and grow them that way. More research in my future lol. It was kind of a pain to get everything setup. Built a "shotgun terrarium" and grew them in my bathroom. Had to spray the stupid things constantly.

You know what, I don't think the Echo has a decomp! May get a hernia trying to pull that thing.

Quick question for the experienced wood burners. For those with secondary tube stoves, what is your normal stove top temps? With my 30 ft liner this stove definitely does not lack draft. With the firebox fully loaded it likes to heat the stove top to around 750-800 freaking degrees. I have my tv mounted to the wall about 36" or so above the stove and it feels like it may ignite. Not complaining too much though since I've been walking around in shorts, tv shirt, and barefoot.

I hit one at 920 but the shot deflected I think. White hair no blood. Found two chunks of fat at 150 and 350 or more yards from the shot. I gave up the search. I didn't hit her very well. She will probably live and be fine. Im thinking brisket or less was hit with the all white hair and fat with no blood. Searched for 2ish hours. A little bummed but there is a broken branch between me and the deer directly in the line of fire. Oh well I am still at it. My luck has got to change.

If you are real good you can read the wood stress areas and that will not happen. If not, you should become close friends with wedges.......like I do. LOL
BTW, great trees. Happy cutting.
I'm learning. If I don't kill myself, I might get good at it! Lol. And I need more wedges....I'll put my that on my Christmas list.

That is tough, but something like it has happened at one time or another to most of us.
Sigh....Missed a nice 10+ pointer clean one year and wounded a small 8 the next. The wolves ate all of my deer though so now I rarely have the opportunity to miss. That was 04' and 05'. Only missed one deer since and it was a clean miss on a probable 8 pointer.

I have a new scrounge that I think will last me for a few years it's all pine some old man pine amongst it but it's definitely the scrounge of the century for me. Every pine in this video is mine and is coming down for firewood

Cool! There's a lot of trees there, you'll be busy for awhile!

Latest posts

Back