Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been rained out last weekend and this Saturday but sunny here today I thot I might get a chance to get a few sticks in the woodpile :)
Then it came to me , I had committed myself to go clear some overgrowth :(

IMG_20151129_120257.jpg

Lots of trees were cut LOL

IMG_20151129_142135.jpg

IMG_20151129_142251.jpg

IMG_20151129_142309.jpg

Not much to take home though :(
I guess make lemonade outa lemons , I did throw some apple in the truck , it'll make smoking wood or heat if need be ;)

IMG_20151129_151754.jpg

Nomad, let me clarify. You can take 2 bucks in NY, one during regular season, and one during Archer/ MZ season. If you buy Archery/MZ you may also take an additional doe (anywhere) with it in that season. Then you can apply (subject to lottery chances) for 2 doe permits, which you may or man not get, good only in specific areas. In addition, if you know another hunter who does not want a doe tag he/she got, they can sign one over to you.

Most areas go 1) Archery 2) Regular 3) Archery/MZ, but it changes by geographic area (the Adirondacks have an early MZ season).

Westchester Cty is bow only (no cross bows), so you can choose to use regular or archery tag (no MZ) any time there.

Let me know if this is not clear. Let me rephrase, these are the stupid - unclear rules, let me know if you need more guidance understanding them!

You can got to NYS-DEC to see for yourself. (And NYC-DEP has addl rules for their properties).

I also did some courtesy splitting for the farmer for all the oak he let me take. He had a pile by one of his sheds and I offered to do it for him. I think he was pleasantly surprised. I always live by the motto "Look for ways to help and when you need it, help will find you!"20151129_155722.jpg

Nomad, let me clarify. You can take 2 bucks in NY, one during regular season, and one during Archer/ MZ season. If you buy Archery/MZ you may also take an additional doe (anywhere) with it in that season. Then you can apply (subject to lottery chances) for 2 doe permits, which you may or man not get, good only in specific areas. In addition, if you know another hunter who does not want a doe tag he/she got, they can sign one over to you.

Most areas go 1) Archery 2) Regular 3) Archery/MZ, but it changes by geographic area (the Adirondacks have an early MZ season).

Westchester Cty is bow only (no cross bows), so you can choose to use regular or archery tag (no MZ) any time there.

Let me know if this is not clear. Let me rephrase, these are the stupid - unclear rules, let me know if you need more guidance understanding them!

You can got to NYS-DEC to see for yourself. (And NYC-DEP has addl rules for their properties).
Thanks Mike. The reason I was asking was I tried to read and make sense of the rules. I was still confused about what is what. Good thing I am not hunting there any time soon. But I would love to at some point. I may have more questions next time I read the rules. It does sound like you have plenty of tags and decent opportunity up there.

The "Public Hunting" around here would seem to be a circus and not 20 miles from here is a couple/few thousands acres of it, I've never heard of anyone getting shot over there but it's not for me.
I'm fortunate to have access to some heavily forested private hunting, 47 acres, with very little to zero hunting pressure on the surrounding properties which is several square miles without any roads intersecting it and very few tillable acre under grain crops thru the summer. It's a hunters' paradise..maybe I should get after some, it's been a few years...

Latest posts

Back