Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just 2 bambies & a 4 pts so far.
Nothing so far for me. I moved into the pole tree thicket.
Went by where I wanted to go and there were guys sitting so close together that they could share their lunch. Shooting has been on the lighter side.

fdbddf15f59c49d55f8621697389a904.jpg

At least in MN if you get more than 1/4 mile from a road you have the woods to yourself.
Yep, noticed that for decades, must be a human trait around 1/4 mile or so. That distance or greater from where you can drive something with an engine, human sign thins out rapidly. Of course this is all east coast, I imagine where guys go and ride horses out west it is much different. You can also tell on the trails where they go from clear walk upright, starting to get thick with a canopy and walk hunched over, then crawl and drag your pack down tunnels of plants. Once you get to the tunnels, shazzam, wildlife improves tremendously.

If vice grips and duct tape can't fix it, it's beyond repair.

You would be lucky to get an arrow thru that pecker pole maze.

Got a call from my neighbor, he had a stack of hardwood and wanted to know if I wanted it.
Is a pigs azz pork? Offered to help me load it, but my buddy Tom showed up and we fetched it.
Nice pile of Oak and Maple, made a well rounded load in the Dakota PU.
He had cut them 24", too long for my furnace, like to keep them under 20", 18" is better.
I never said a word about being too long. I got saws and the cut offs burn just fine.
Besides, he just bought the 20acre around his house, to prevent development. That puts him around 50acre,
most of it in woods, lots of dead and leaners. Future scrounging?
Sorry no pics, even if I knew how to use the camera, I could never learn to post the pics. I don't even own a cell fone. What do I do for a phone?
Hey kid, would you call AAA and tell them the old man need help?

hahaha, good point! Apparently though, quite good for you, japanese compound word/name (and I spelled it wrong) shii and take also known as golden oak mushroom, etc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiitake I know I have seen them in stores and they go for good bucks

Shiitake mushrooms are awesome. Haven't had them by themselves though, it's always as a compliment to something else.

Got a load this weekend but was too lazy to post it. Still have a lot to do. Did I mention this scrounge site is kicking my butt?

Wanted to see if the Fiskars would split a round in half. Pretty impressive. I may split them like this vs chopping it off from the sides.

Attachments

• 20151128_120028.jpg
    20151128_120028.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20151128_121004.jpg
    20151128_121004.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20151128_123419.jpg
    20151128_123419.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 48
Shiitake mushrooms are awesome. Haven't had them by themselves though, it's always as a compliment to something else.

I can't recall if I ever had them but love mushrooms in cooking, etc. We'll see how it works out. The guy came over and picked up the logs and was beyond happy with the barter deal.
Hey, you run the big echo yet? Pics! I miss my cs8000 still, was my fav big saw.

Had a buck and three Doe come in. I waited for the buck because he looked like he could have enough... He didn't. By that point the the opportunity with the does was gone.:buttkick: I guess I wanted the buck more than meat in the freezer. That won't happen again.
watched bucks graze all afternoon in the hay field despite all the shooting. 4 different spikes and bambi. guess they knew they were safe. tomorrow is another day. to stay on topic i saw a lot of wood to scrounge sitting in the tree stand.

I can't recall if I ever had them but love mushrooms in cooking, etc. We'll see how it works out. The guy came over and picked up the logs and was beyond happy with the barter deal.
Hey, you run the big echo yet? Pics! I miss my cs8000 still, was my fav big saw.

Is he growing them right on the logs? I grew some in jars with substrate.

Nope, haven't ran it yet. I'm going to replace all the fuel lines, fuel filter, give it a really good cleaning, carb kit, etc. Also need a bar because it was PHO. Have to decide the length. I'm between a 24" to 32" bar. How does your gigantic Husqvarna saw compare to your old Echo?

Had a real good scrounge today, cut up about 2 cord of dead White Oak. Brought about 1 cord of it (2 trailer loads) home (see pics).

Also got dibs on a huge Red Oak (already dropped) and another nice size White Oak and smaller Cherry (need to drop both of them) for next year's wood supply. I can leave the wood there!

Ran 3 of my saws today, the 362, 044 #1 (the un ported one) and the 460/046. Was the first real workout I have given the two smaller saws since I advanced the timing on both of them, and I was really pleased how well they both cut, and that 460/046 Randy did for me is a real Beast! Came in handy for the big bucking, stumping and noodling.

Enjoy the pics.

PS With all the hunters in NY, even the NYC ones, hunting in NY is safer than driving to the mall at night, so don't be scared, it is all in your mind!

Attachments

• WhOak11-30-15 001.jpg
    WhOak11-30-15 001.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • WhOak11-30-15 002.jpg
    WhOak11-30-15 002.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
Is he growing them right on the logs? I grew some in jars with substrate.

Nope, haven't ran it yet. I'm going to replace all the fuel lines, fuel filter, give it a really good cleaning, carb kit, etc. Also need a bar because it was PHO. Have to decide the length. I'm between a 24" to 32" bar. How does your gigantic Husqvarna saw compare to your old Echo?

right in the logs themselves. I think they drill holes and put the mushroom spores inside and let er go. He is going to store them in an old grain bin I think.

As to the echo I had, it was more comparable to my poulan 505 for power, just enough for a three foot bar. The echo had the additional manual oiler button as well as auto oiling. It was good enough for anything big I tried it on, it pulled that chain fine. Not wicked fast as to RPMs but it just kept pulling, I called it Rhino.... Wicked easy starting once I had the carb tweaked well. The husky 394 can run a 4 footer stock (although I don't have a 4 footer yet), and this one is ported. It is obviously more saw, but shoot, more displacement plus ported makes for some serious ponies and mules. Quite a bit stouter to pull over.

We got about 3" of wet snow last night and another 3" this evening with up to 12" forecasted. This morning road conditions were as bad as I've seen them short of an all out ice storm.

Tonight I finally blew out my lawn sprinkler system in the nick of time. Also worked on running new electrical service in my garage to provide dedicated circuits for the fridge/freezer and standing freezer I scrounged up.

Finally finished off the pine and moved into burning fully seasoned hardwood for the first time. I am usually burning wood cut and split in the same year. I let it season by the stove a bit but its nothing like this fully seasoned stuff. Holy btu's. One load of hard wood after the stove was hot and the house over 75 degrees.

Latest posts

Back