Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys I took some pictures of some of the black locust I cut up last week. It was a dead standing tree that had finally blown down a week or so before these pictures. It's the one in one of my post that was laying across our trail.
I figured I would put them together so everyone who is not familiar with locust could see one of the many benefits of it, primarily how fast it dries/low water content. If you guys would like I could also find one that is still living and do a similar time lapse.
1st picture 1/14/16 1:41pm is about an hr after it was cut and it was brought into the house and placed right behind my woodstove to dry the snow/water off the outside.
2nd picture 1/14/16 7:44pm
3rd picture 1/15/16 11:22pm
4th picture 1/19/16 1pm
20160114_134126.jpg 20160114_194414.jpg 20160115_112215.jpg 20160119_125923.jpg

Ok guys I took some pictures of some of the black locust I cut up last week. It was a dead standing tree that had finally blown down a week or so before these pictures. It's the one in one of my post that was laying across our trail.
I figured I would put them together so everyone who is not familiar with locust could see one of the many benefits of it, primarily how fast it dries/low water content. If you guys would like I could also find one that is still living and do a similar time lapse.
1st picture 1/14/16 1:41pm is about an hr after it was cut and it was brought into the house and placed right behind my woodstove to dry the snow/water off the outside.
4th picture 1/19/16 1pm
View attachment 479896 View attachment 479897 View attachment 479898 View attachment 479899

That's awesome!!!!!

I have a polar vortex stash of red oak in the stove house that was very much alive this summer. I get cracked ends in 2 weeks or so.

good enough diploma for me.:D

I love the black locust lighter than red oak green, but heavier dry(more btu's).
If you have not burned it you would be amazed. I can't stand red oak in comparison, but it does smell nicer burning which would be better in a fireplace.
My favorite for oak is the dead standing stuff and dead limbs, other than that I don't prefer it, but we are here on the scrounge thread because we take what we can right:).
I have about 4-5yrs of my stash that is red oak. Maybe a yr of locust, a lot more in vertical wood stacks (dead standing). Maybe a year of walnut( I have very little experience burning it), but my BIL has a basement full, almost 30 full cords, no exaggeration.
I can get all the red oak and ash(farther drive) I can get, just would rather burn locust.
I may start driving for some ash as I have a connection for a bunch and I can have it loaded onto my trailer or just buck it up right next to my trailer whichever works/is available. Still haven't decided which way I will go with that, still need to do the math.

Where you at H, I'll be right over lol.

My neighbor two houses down had 110 trees taken out, I barely made a dent in it and they sold the property. I was still cutting on it when I found out, that could have went very bad, I stopped right away. I need to get in touch with the new owner as there is so much to clean up over there. It sure is nice when you can skid it right to where you want to split/stack it.
Yeah, come on over! LOL

Well... it might be better for you to work on your neighbor's property and I'll work here. I do know that I'll be working more there than on my own property since that will always be available. My neighbor is not going anywhere, but I don't want her to have a change of heart or suddenly pick a neighbor that she likes better than me. :hi:

Yeah, come on over! LOL

Well... it might be better for you to work on your neighbor's property and I'll work here. I do know that I'll be working more there than on my own property since that will always be available. My neighbor is not going anywhere, but I don't want her to have a change of heart or suddenly pick a neighbor that she likes better than me. :hi:
My sentiments exactly, take what's being given and save mine for emergencies.
Where are you at in mi.

My sentiments exactly, take what's being given and save mine for emergencies.
Where are you at in mi.
I'm in western SE Michigan near Ann Arbor - pretty long haul from GR. Sure is nice to get firewood that never has to see a truck or trailer though - I like to think of it as "locally grown". Doesn't get any greener than that unless you cut it all zogger-style with a biodrive saw.

Hi, been enjoying reading from like minded scroungers. Has this ever happened to any of you? I was cutting some dead standing pine from a neighbor's land this weekend. This was the first time cutting since I got permission a few weeks back. As I was pulling off he pulled in from work. Being neighborly and appreciative of the free wood, I stopped to thank him and exchange small talk. He told me of a lady that had lots of pine cut up and only wanted $40 for it. (I have refused to ever pay for wood) So I politely said that I was working on several (scrounge) sites and I didn't need to buy right now. I volunteered too much info in telling him about a 36" blow down red oak I have been cutting on for several weekends and have probably 10 more trailer loads to go. That's when he said to let him know next time I go there in that he wants to get some red oak also. At first I thought oh no! That's MY wood. But then thought I ought to repay the favor in maybe dropping off some oak to him since I could cut probably 5-7 loads of pine off his land. (he doesn't burn pine). What do y'all think?

I've been monkey'in with the MAC again. I am making progress but I don't last to long working in a 12* garage. Those metal tools are cold. I should be able to get the line replaced tomorrow and then start reassembly. Hopefully I get it done by the end of the week.

99eb50fd686ba5175cbd9c5a2898f66c.jpg

A trick there is go to the farm store and get a brooder infrared light "heat" bulb and a fixture, I use a clamp light. Aim it at your work area while working, it will warm just that area and the tools and parts you are using. Well, and your hands of course!

I love the black locust lighter than red oak green, but heavier dry(more btu's).
If you have not burned it you would be amazed. I can't stand red oak in comparison, but it does smell nicer burning which would be better in a fireplace.
My favorite for oak is the dead standing stuff and dead limbs, other than that I don't prefer it, but we are here on the scrounge thread because we take what we can right:).
I have about 4-5yrs of my stash that is red oak. Maybe a yr of locust, a lot more in vertical wood stacks (dead standing). Maybe a year of walnut( I have very little experience burning it), but my BIL has a basement full, almost 30 full cords, no exaggeration.
I can get all the red oak and ash(farther drive) I can get, just would rather burn locust.
I may start driving for some ash as I have a connection for a bunch and I can have it loaded onto my trailer or just buck it up right next to my trailer whichever works/is available. Still haven't decided which way I will go with that, still need to do the math.

Well, some ash would be nice because it is just so much fun to split! Get at least a load of it, split your years in advance kindling!

4th picture 1/19/16 1pm
View attachment 479896 View attachment 479897 View attachment 479898 View attachment 479899

That's amazing! I mean, really. I have only ever burned a few branches of it, decades ago. I just don't see any locust around here in the woods and have looked and looked.

Need help. Talk me out of buying a 562xp. And go....
You shouldn't buy the 562 because you'd hate how it would bridge the gap between the 550 and 2186. Probably wouldn't like being able to leave a longer bar on the big saw. You'd hate using the screaming 550 for limbing and small stuff and you'd deplore how the torque of the 562 would chew through the larger stuff while only weighing about 2 lbs more. Matter of fact, that 562 with a 20" bar would probably make a nice felling saw. Then you could save the big guy for heavy bucking causing you to feel guilt over not showing the jonny all the love it deserves. Don't do it man!

I don't think we have much black locust by me, at least not on my patch.

No native locust here but our neighborhood abuts an older neigborhood and one of the houses has about 30 of them in rows in his backyard. Not sure if the owner planted them for future firewood or what. 2 or 3 of them are dead and I'm tempted to ask if I can have them. I'd say they are all 12-16".

Back