Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shouldn't buy the 562 because you'd hate how it would bridge the gap between the 550 and 2186. Probably wouldn't like being able to leave a longer bar on the big saw. You'd hate using the screaming 550 for limbing and small stuff and you'd deplore how the torque of the 562 would chew through the larger stuff while only weighing about 2 lbs more. Matter of fact, that 562 with a 20" bar would probably make a nice felling saw. Then you could save the big guy for heavy bucking causing you to feel guilt over not showing the jonny all the love it deserves. Don't do it man!

those would be reasons enough for me! :sweet:

I'm in western SE Michigan near Ann Arbor - pretty long haul from GR. Sure is nice to get firewood that never has to see a truck or trailer though - I like to think of it as "locally grown". Doesn't get any greener than that unless you cut it all zogger-style with a biodrive saw.
I get down that way to buy stuff often. I bought my first log splitter at an organic farm first exit north of m-14 and I-23.

Since this is the scrounge thread I will say that there is a huge burl down that way I would love to get, I would guess it's 4-5' across:sweet:.
I 'm all about not having to trailer my wood either, it's great to grab a stem or two out back and bring it beside my pile and cut it up:).
Not sure if Iposted this one before.
20151107_125012.jpg

:laughing:
Need help. Talk me out of buying a 562xp. And go....
I'll try, but I may not be the best at this.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because you would be like everyone else and have one of the baddest saws out there, I know you don't want to be like everyone else:).
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because you would have to clean the carbs on the other saws because they would sit to long.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because you would have to buy towels like SA to keep the dust off your other saws.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because it would ruin that great two saw plan you have goingo_O
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because FS wouldn't approve(wait this might be a why you should buy one, or two:laughing:.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because FS will stop posting craigslist ads with bulky old stihls with aluminum cases that they don't make anymore.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because your neighbor only has a few locust to cut with it.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because your other neighbors like the trees on their property.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because the new prototype Husky saw will come out and be a piece of crap and all your friends will want to borrow it.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because as soon as you do the new prototype will come out and be a great saw and you will regret buying it.
Final answer:
Because you probably already ordered one from spike since you couldn't find a good reason not to buy one:numberone:

:laughing:
I'll try, but I may not be the best at this.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because you would be like everyone else and have one of the baddest saws out there, I know you don't want to be like everyone else:).
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because you would have to clean the carbs on the other saws because they would sit to long.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because you would have to buy towels like SA to keep the dust off your other saws.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because it would ruin that great two saw plan you have goingo_O
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because FS wouldn't approve(wait this might be a why you should buy one, or two:laughing:.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because FS will stop posting craigslist ads with bulky old stihls with aluminum cases that they don't make anymore.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because your neighbor only has a few locust to cut with it.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because your other neighbors like the trees on their property.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because the new prototype Husky saw will come out and be a piece of crap and all your friends will want to borrow it.
You shouldn't buy a 562xp because as soon as you do the new prototype will come out and be a great saw and you will regret buying it.
Final answer:
Because you probably already ordered one from spike since you couldn't find a good reason not to buy one:numberone:
or the real reason steve wants to spend some cash!! to give the 562 to chucker to break in or down in power so not to offend the 2186 jonny's power.... lol

Don't....do.....it.....Steve.......don't.:D

There, my good deed for the day is done.

You don't want a 562xp because it's heavier than a 2260 (560)

. . . o_O

Oooooh, I forgot about that one. :happybanana:That's the one that's not available in the Husky model to the U.S. right?

What's this Husky prototype being mentioned? Please tell me something cool like a 90cc saw in a 70cc chassis.

Oooooh, I forgot about that one. :happybanana:That's the one that's not available in the Husky model to the U.S. right?

What's this Husky prototype being mentioned? Please tell me something cool like a 90cc saw in a 70cc chassis.
No good deed shall go unpunished
You'll need the makita to get close to that:).

The guys who have seen and used them can't say..but supposedly the performance might be as indicated.

Ok, took some pictures of the stove this morning.
The stove was 400 when I started with a nice 1.5-2" bed of coals and as soon as the wood hit it, it started right up.
I have the stove loaded with one of the locust rounds I had drying behind the stove like the one above.
Also a nice larger split of locust(top right), one seasoned split of red oak(top left), two dead red oak limb rounds(bottom left and right).
It is around 12 degrees here this morning so it will be burning a bit hotter and faster than normal, but should give a good example of what my stove does with a nice mix of hard woods in these conditions.
The stove is a pacific energy alderlea t-5 with 11' of pipe, I have another piece that I can add to it to give another ft when in the shoulder season for a stronger draft, but it is not normally needed when the wood is good and dry/seasoned.
First picture is at 7:56 400 degrees draft control open.
Second 8:11 460 shut draft control.
Third 8:19 510 draft closed.
Forth 8:49 560 draft closed and the secondaries kicking hard.
I will post a picture later of what the coals look like.
It's just after 10 now and the stove is steady at 550 and should maintain that for a couple more hrs before dropping off steady til it hits 350 then it will stay there for hrs.20160120_075616.jpg20160120_081131.jpg20160120_081918.jpg20160120_084949.jpg

Hi, been enjoying reading from like minded scroungers. Has this ever happened to any of you? I was cutting some dead standing pine from a neighbor's land this weekend. This was the first time cutting since I got permission a few weeks back. As I was pulling off he pulled in from work. Being neighborly and appreciative of the free wood, I stopped to thank him and exchange small talk. He told me of a lady that had lots of pine cut up and only wanted $40 for it. (I have refused to ever pay for wood) So I politely said that I was working on several (scrounge) sites and I didn't need to buy right now. I volunteered too much info in telling him about a 36" blow down red oak I have been cutting on for several weekends and have probably 10 more trailer loads to go. That's when he said to let him know next time I go there in that he wants to get some red oak also. At first I thought oh no! That's MY wood. But then thought I ought to repay the favor in maybe dropping off some oak to him since I could cut probably 5-7 loads of pine off his land. (he doesn't burn pine). What do y'all think?
Welcome to AS abner, and yes, except never with pine LOL.
One thing pretty much everyone agrees to no matter wether religious or not is that what comes around goes around.
Seems as though he was giving first and it is second nature to give back, unfortunately the first nature says it is Mine lol.
I gave my neighbor a wheelbarrow load of "my precious" black locust(that I got off the other neighbors lot:laughing: with permision)and he has blown the snow off our walk for the last couple weeks.
I don't think he did it because I gave him the wood, it's just what we do for one another:).
It sounds like you could have a couple extra hands to help scrounge and it's hard to argue with having a good neighbor, I'd give a lot of MY black locust up for that, but only if I had to LOL.

Hi, been enjoying reading from like minded scroungers. Has this ever happened to any of you? I was cutting some dead standing pine from a neighbor's land this weekend. This was the first time cutting since I got permission a few weeks back. As I was pulling off he pulled in from work. Being neighborly and appreciative of the free wood, I stopped to thank him and exchange small talk. He told me of a lady that had lots of pine cut up and only wanted $40 for it. (I have refused to ever pay for wood) So I politely said that I was working on several (scrounge) sites and I didn't need to buy right now. I volunteered too much info in telling him about a 36" blow down red oak I have been cutting on for several weekends and have probably 10 more trailer loads to go. That's when he said to let him know next time I go there in that he wants to get some red oak also. At first I thought oh no! That's MY wood. But then thought I ought to repay the favor in maybe dropping off some oak to him since I could cut probably 5-7 loads of pine off his land. (he doesn't burn pine). What do y'all think?
Tough one there.

I for one have ended up shorted on (you name it) by trying to be too generous and including people I didn't know well enough. Personally if it is worth keeping his scrounge site I would simply swing by with a load of oak for him as a thank you. To me it would be easier to make a pickup load of wood than it would be to potentially lose a good scrounge site.

I kind of think of it like fishing. If you show a new buddy one of your go to spots, he might fish it only when you aren't around. OR, he might bring all of his buddies there and fish it out. Is it worth the risk on someone you just met?

1 pm and the stove is down to 425.
The outside temp dropped to 9 degrees here after I posted before. I would have thought it was an anomaly but I looked it up various places and got the same temp report.
The red oak on the left side is nearly gone and the burn is now shifting to the right side.
Hope your enjoying the play by play, as I've stated before it's like watching paint dry, but different:badpc:.
20160120_120510.jpg

I would share around all the good scrounge, especially if who you are sharing with comes and helps cut/haul/split, etc.

While dumping a load of wood at my brothers place from my scrounge spot, I was stopped in his neighborhood and was asked where the wood came from. I had absolutely no problem telling him, it was the least I could do. The look on my brothers face who was with me, was priceless. I told the nice man " It came from a tree !" Waved as I drove away.

Abner's position is interesting and I would have to side with SVK on this.

I would be more than happy to bring him a load of red oak but that's it.

The only variable I can think of that would change my mind would be how common are red oaks there? If the area is flush with oak then it may not be an issue to take him along.

If it's like here where good hardwood is a premium and not too common.....yeah I'd keep my lips closed. I've seen some real dandies here when it comes to "free" accessible wood. Free is in quotes because 2x I have seen pickups and car hauler trailers cutting out of a loggers landing pile right off of the road. This is in the last week and a half on Sundays. Ain't that some sh!t.

And I also agree with SVK's fishing analogy....my goto response is "An area lake." lol

Abner's position is interesting and I would have to side with SVK on this.

I would be more than happy to bring him a load of red oak but that's it.

The only variable I can think of that would change my mind would be how common are red oaks there? If the area is flush with oak then it may not be an issue to take him along.

If it's like here where good hardwood is a premium and not too common.....yeah I'd keep my lips closed. I've seen some real dandies here when it comes to "free" accessible wood. Free is in quotes because 2x I have seen pickups and car hauler trailers cutting out of a loggers landing pile right off of the road. This is in the last week and a half on Sundays. Ain't that some sh!t.

And I also agree with SVK's fishing analogy....my goto response is "An area lake." lol
My biggest pike ever came out of a lake less than 1/2 mile square. Of course I fished it for years and never had landed a pike bigger than 26 inches so I was quite surprised. But if I had said I caught that and showed the stringers of walleyes and monster sunnies I caught people would be there in droves. Lake 3/4 mile away is well known for pike so I said I caught it there. Good luck lol.

Back