Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We should get together chipper. I have a parcel that my buddy is letting me cut on, has about 30 tops. If we both had our tractors out there, we could do some serious damage in a day, pulling out log lengths.

I'm planning a tiller purchase in the spring, hopefully.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Let me know what size and type and I'll find you one.
You just got to be ready to jump when I let you know, the cheap ones don't last long.
My main source of income is buying and selling(wife teaches), a lot of craigslist stuff. Many other means as well to buy and I sell about 50% through word of mouth or specific purchases people hire me to buy for them.
I sell some wood and do a bit of tree work.
Lots of other stuff to, whatever it takes to make a buck or two.

We should get together chipper. I have a parcel that my buddy is letting me cut on, has about 30 tops. If we both had our tractors out there, we could do some serious damage in a day, pulling out log lengths.
Would love to, lets go:chainsaw::chop:
Where is that at, and what side of town are you on.
You mean log lengths like this:laugh:20151107_123454.jpg
Unfortunately tops are not as easy, but if you can leave behind all the branches 3" or under we could probably pull 30 tops to a landing in a day depending on the terrain, distance, and size of tops.

I fork 8 fts lengths out. And yes we can leave small stuff.

I leave 3 minutes east of town, and this place is 5 min south.

I fork 8 fts lengths out. And yes we can leave small stuff.

I leave 3 minutes east of town, and this place is 5 min south.

Sounds pretty easy, I know how those jobs go LOL.
That's within 35-40min of my place. I used to go down that way a lot.
I bought something from a guy out east of the gas station just north of town, but I can't remember what, I was busy checking out his dirtbikes and drooling:baba:.
I could give you a hand some time. Maybe load some gear in my little Honda Insight and come down and get stuff prepped for a couple hrs then come back another day to get everything pulled to the landing. See where it goes from there.
Do you have another buddy that could come give a hand.
I'll PM you my info. Unless everyone wants it :badpc:

Would love to, lets go:chainsaw::chop:
Where is that at, and what side of town are you on.
You mean log lengths like this:laugh:View attachment 485465
Unfortunately tops are not as easy, but if you can leave behind all the branches 3" or under we could probably pull 30 tops to a landing in a day depending on the terrain, distance, and size of tops.

What size tractor and winch?

Let me know what size and type and I'll find you one.
You just got to be ready to jump when I let you know, the cheap ones don't last long.
My main source of income is buying and selling(wife teaches), a lot of craigslist stuff. Many other means as well to buy and I sell about 50% through word of mouth or specific purchases people hire me to buy for them.
I sell some wood and do a bit of tree work.
Lots of other stuff to, whatever it takes to make a buck or two.

Thanks,

I'm not quite ready to purchase, but if you run across one let me know. It usually doesn't take me long to find the money if it is a great deal. Probably a 4-5 footer. I only have a 18hp tractor. Hoping to upgrade soon.

Thanks,

I'm not quite ready to purchase, but if you run across one let me know. It usually doesn't take me long to find the money if it is a great deal. Probably a 4-5 footer. I only have a 18hp tractor. Hoping to upgrade soon.
I will start buying them here in another few weeks as people begin to list them.
Then brush hogs/rotary cutters will be next as far as tractor implements.
I want to get a flail mower for myself if I can get a deal this year, not sure it's in the budget as I spent a lot last yr on my tractor, trailer, plow, skidding winch, 5' rotary cutter, wow that's where all my cash went:envy:
You will not be able to run anything larger than a 48" efficiently, and I would look into it a bit to make sure you can run a 48 well with that particular tractor.
How wide is the track on you tires(outside to outside), it's nice to be able to cover your tracks if you can.
Not sure what size the 3-point is cat 1 or 0.

It's cat 1. And as far as I know it'll handle a 60incher, just need to watch your depth.

It's cat 1. And as far as I know it'll handle a 60incher, just need to watch your depth.

Rule of thumb that I have learned is 1' per 5hp.
If your only scratching the surface for food plots you could do 5', but I wouldn't recommend it.
Once you get wider you start limiting where you can go/ get to.
If you want to do lots of food plots you may want to spend some bucks and get a power rake, slick tool with many uses, but a big jump up in prices.
We can talk about that in the next few weeks. In the meantime you should do some looking around on the net/ talk with JD to find what will work best.
My Kubota L3800 is 38hp and it runs a 5' gear drive tiller w/ 6 tines per flange without bogging down unless in heavy wet clay. I like the way these run a lot, very smooth compared to a 4 tine setup.

I want it, how much, I'll let both of you borrow it LOL; but seriously I want it:yes:, how much:envy:
:sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet:
Lol he just had shipped out to Michigan from pnw for 22k I think. I've borrowed it a few times and it works great. I prefer the forks though.

Lol he just had shipped out to Michigan from pnw for 22k I think. I've borrowed it a few times and it works great. I prefer the forks though.

Darn, not bad for 22k(unless that was the shipping charge lol), how many hrs. I helped a guy up this way get one, the older model, I got him set up with one out of Cleveland for $8500 it had high hrs but was still a steal.
Forks have there place, but I'd rather have the grapple, forks can be bought for next to nothing anytime, grapples not so cheap.
If he decides he wants to sell it feel free to give him my info:yes:

He picked up the grapple seperate. I want to say like 2800 or so shipped.

For firewood, I'd rather have forks with a grapple.

ryan goat, you need to make a set of these for lifting that wood up. They just flip into the curve of the bucket and a bolt in the bottom or side works to hold them in. This is my old Ford 1520. They don't weight that much so don't cut your lift capacity much. Don't take up much room and are light enough to throw around by hand. I used 1/4" wall 2"x2" square tube to make them. Work great for brush too. I also had a set that only had 2 prongs at 40" on center to move skids around.
IMG-20121217-01630.jpg IMG-20121217-01632.jpg IMG-20121217-01636.jpg

Latest posts

Back