Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup 6t , the best mod you will make .
Mine came with a 16" but after running 5+ gallons of mix through it with the 14" I think I'll leave the 14" on it , I think 12" would be too short for my liking .

ad9ba69c17fae86034cde1359d9e475e.jpg

@MustangMike that puller is awesome!

Not sure if you saw the other thread but I joined the dark side yesterday. :)

View attachment 533886
sweet Steve. now that you have that you probably will want to sell those "other" saws. :laughing: i'm trying to decide which one of my 036's to sell so i can buy a 241.

I may have missed this. Did you take down the old boiler shed or is this in a different spot?

Nope. Same spot. Kinda.

A couple weeks ago old stove and house out.

A little site prep for additional pad.

4ft sand in.

We put an additional foot in the pad "area". So 5' sand under the stove.

The fire box. Side draft air on the sides and heated air through the stainless down through reaction chamber.

Reaction chamber.

A really cool feature I wasn't aware of....the smoke bypass. Toggle it open, wait a bit, then open the door. No huge clouds of smoke to the face.

Upper center of firebox bypass closed.

Bypass open.

Fired up at 0930. At 1030 the reaction chamber kicked on for the first time.

Temps then. 103 degrees water temp, 1224 degrees for the reaction chamber.

No smoke.

As of 330pm the stove was at 175. That's with the house and shop full tilt turned on.

Shops at 60 degrees and house is 75.

Hell yeah.

This thing is awesome.

I would love to process on site. But, I am cutting on another persons property, which is always the case for me. The landowner wants it removed as soon as it can be done. It would take me a lot longer to split everything. Also, I would need 2 vehicles, one for the trailer and one for the splitter. Normally, I would have noodled the big rounds at least in half and maybe quartered; but, the landowner loaded them for me with his tractor.

This landowner has many trees down and offered them to me. I told him it might take me a year to get to all of them as I work full time, have kids, time is changing, etc. A week after he told me I could have them, he called and asked me if I mind if somebody else comes and takes a few trees. I told him I didn't care and to save me the tree above, give the other guy the rest. Well, I was cutting one day and noticed somebody else had been cutting too. I asked the landowner about it. He said, "the guy came out and got a load and wanted to get paid, so he won't be back, the rest of the trees are yours."

My point is this: the landowner wants them cleaned up as soon as possible, I am limited on the time I can work at his property, so I cut, load, and haul off everything to my wood lot for processing at a later time. I have already bucked up another oak (28" dbh) and need to go load it up. Will post pics of it.

The first 2 pics are on the landowner's property, the last 2 are at my woodlot.

Hang on a sec, if I understand correctly ... other bloke asks landowner if he can cut wood on property and then asks to be paid for it after the event? That's a bit bloody cheeky!

Hang on a sec, if I understand correctly ... other bloke asks landowner if he can cut wood on property and then asks to be paid for it after the event? That's a bit bloody cheeky!

Key words are "Landowner wants it removed from his property."

Landowner is paying for removal service. A win, win situation.

Got a chance to run the now ported 550 and the new 241. We put almost two tanks through the 550 and one through the 241. Got a good cord of oak plus a smaller amount of cherry, Siberian elm, and box elder cut up. Forgot to take pics of the other trees we cut.

To say the least, the 550 is impressive. Very impressive.

The 241 cut well but is spanking new and needs a few tanks to loosen up. The mtronic really makes it run smooth.

IMG_5884.JPG IMG_5889.JPG IMG_5891.JPG IMG_5892.JPG IMG_5893.JPG

Key words are "Landowner wants it removed from his property."

Landowner is paying for removal service. A win, win situation.

I could have misinterpreted but this bit:

"A week after he told me I could have them, he called and asked me if I mind if somebody else comes and takes a few trees. I told him I didn't care and to save me the tree above, give the other guy the rest. Well, I was cutting one day and noticed somebody else had been cutting too. I asked the landowner about it. He said, "the guy came out and got a load and wanted to get paid, so he won't be back, the rest of the trees are yours."

made me think that the landowner had offered them to be removed as "free wood" rather than wanting to pay for a removal service. Not that it really matters in any case, it's more scroungin' wood for Hinerman. Happy days! :)

So this is kinda funny. Kinda.

Stove guy goes into the truck and brings out the owners manual packet and goes to hand it to the neighbor. Devon says give it to him, he's running this and he'll fill me in.

I was like sweet.

Stove guy says "There's a toy in there for you." I mean it's Christmas and I had already opened the Red Ryder Repeating Carbine.......to me this was the belt fed conversion for it.

As I am tearing off to the shop to open it I heard Devon go "God no....why did you have to give him a toy that's stove related."

Devon later tells me that as I was running off to the shop he asked the stove guy Steve what's the toy?

Steve says it's a moisture meter.

15 seconds later I pop out of the shop yelling "Holy (*&^ it's a #(*&^%$ moisture meter.

Steve explains it to Devon. Devon then replies "why would you give something like that to him. The wood is going to be color coded."

I came out 5 minutes later after getting it fired up and said "This week I am going to go through the wood and spray paint the burn now stuff. Within accessible reason."

Devon drops his head and starts laughing, Steve's jaw dropped for a bit then he starts laughing.

I was like what's so funny?

Got a chance to run the now ported 550 and the new 241. We put almost two tanks through the 550 and one through the 241. Got a good cord of oak plus a smaller amount of cherry, Siberian elm, and box elder cut up. Forgot to take pics of the other trees we cut.

To say the least, the 550 is impressive. Very impressive.

The 241 cut well but is spanking new and needs a few tanks to loosen up. The mtronic really makes it run smooth.

View attachment 534082 View attachment 534083 View attachment 534085 View attachment 534086 View attachment 534088

Looks good Steve!!!!!

I think that 550 wants to move west.:D

So I take my son to a little league game today and as I leave and pull back out on thr road, there are some nice logs that Aspluche left from clearing trees near the lines. I go home and empty my truck bed, change my clothes, pack the 441 and 576, gas ect. Have a cup of coffee and go back to cut em up and.......THEIR GONE!!!!![emoji21][emoji21][emoji21] they either got beamed up by aliens or a crane truck came. I couldnt believe it.

So I take my son to a little league game today and as I leave and pull back out on thr road, there are some nice logs that Aspluche left from clearing trees near the lines. I go home and empty my truck bed, change my clothes, pack the 441 and 576, gas ect. Have a cup of coffee and go back to cut em up and.......THEIR GONE!!!!![emoji21][emoji21][emoji21] they either got beamed up by alians or a crane truck came. I couldnt believe it.

Devastating. If you hadn't had that coffee you'd have got there in time to give those aliens a good smackin.

Devastating. If you hadn't had that coffee you'd have got there in time to give those aliens a good smackin.
Lmao!! Your right!! My wife was some support when i came home and i tell her. She says "well it is that time of the year" (she thinks you can just take wood off the curb and it goes in the stove) guess she doesnt notice all the work I do cutting, spllitting, stacking. Lol

Latest posts

Back