Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nazi, I was up to Minden today. Lots of snow and crappy roads up that way. Only seen 1 car go offroad though. Little piece of crap decided to pass another car, as soon as he hit the slush in the middle he was doing figure 8's and ended up in a little ditch. I beeped the horn and waved as I drove past. Normally I would stop and pull someone out but this guy deserved it. They even had the swing wings out on the 400, no snow on the road and 2 kms of traffic behind them. Practice runs I assume.

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
Ok I know this is an old thread but will reply anyhow . ..
I have always been blessed to live in or near national forests. You can get a fuel wood permit for $20 that is good for 4 full cords of wood. Not free, but close to it and there is precious little better than a day in the forest.

I have always been blessed to live in or near national forests. You can get a fuel wood permit for $20 that is good for 4 full cords of wood. Not free, but close to it and there is precious little better than a day in the forest.

Welcome to the thread! It may be old, but there's lots to see.

Pour yourself a big cup of coffee and catch up. Scrounging season is in full swing, and we love to hear about it.

The beginning of this thread may be old but it gets spruced up every day. Of course the pun is intended.
"precious little better than a day in the woods" Yep, you'll fit right in.
Welcome.

So, I made a case splitter today for the 034 (with the bad bearing) that I'm converting to an 036.

Talk about scrounging, I made it from an old tiller tine, hey, this may be a first! (It worked, that is all I care about).

There is good steel in those tines, also most lawnmower blades. I save stuff like that but I am a hopeless pack rat.
Mike, give em up. I know they have character and all that but it is time for a new pair of gloves. LOL

But they are just getting comfortable ...

Got new ones already, but don't see the point in breaking them out to handle wood in the wet!

Yea, me too. I have had those tines saved for about 10 years, I think this is the second time I found a use for them. Now that I know that it works, I'll have to cut it down and make it look a little better.

Latest posts

Back