Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That guy's face almost went into the chain! Man that could have been much worse.
It's hard to know from the video if the grapple holding onto the trunk contributed to the incident. But the guy was clearly not ready for the surprise. Should have been expecting the potential release, and should have been willing to drop his saw.

Philbert

It's hard to know from the video if the grapple holding onto the trunk contributed to the incident. But the guy was clearly not ready for the surprise. Should have been expecting the potential release, and should have been willing to drop his saw.

Philbert

Yep, he looked a bit like a rag doll for a few seconds. Saw your pic on offsetting cuts for root ball cuts. Looks good and makes sense to my newbie mind. I think I'll cut from top to bottom like svk and do the offsetting cuts further down the log.

So if one cuts and splits wood in Sept. of last year, it's ok to burn now, four months later?
Me thinks that's how the house down the road just burned to the ground from a chimney fire. My firewood is one to three years seasoned before burning. How about you all?

sometimes not all of us have a choice and wish not to freeze to death. We do what we can to survive.

Have you seen the pictures of the ones that they put in tooth paste that get imbedded in your gums?

i actually love those micro beads.

although i do use a waterpik after i brush that gets them all out so i could see why they could have problems with people who do not know proper hygiene.

For all you people that are Snow Bound and cant get out and Scroung Firewood.
Type: "1924 Model T Snowmobile for Sale" into google. Now that is cool.

If I knew how to post a photo I would...... But I dont.....

David

one of these?

BB_Model-T-snowmobiles.jpg

i actually see them every year at the toboggan nationals on hosmers pond at the camden snowbowl.

pretty sure there are a couple at the owls head transportation museum in Owls Head, ME.

Wudpirat , thanks for the thumbs up on the toys but Cantoo has better stuff than me LOL
But , having said that , there are more scrounging tools that I haven't shown yet ..... BaHahahahahahahahaha...Ha !
And I agree , a great thread thot up by Clint !

Back in the day I helped a few different outfits/friends companies do commercial firewood. One used an old Ford conversion, not the model T to snowmobile, but a model A to a tractor. It worked quite well. I do not know which kit was used, but it had rubber tires and oversize wheels.

Well my scrounge time has been pushed back by 90 min tomorrow. Wanted to get started at 9 but the school system is opening 90 min late. Have you guys heard of schools opening late or closing because of cold weather? That's just downright ridiculous to me, and I spent the majority of my life in Hawaii! Also heard students in VA took to Twitter and posted whiny little comments about how the school system should have been closed today. Jeez Louise! You're never too young to grow a pair kids!

Well my scrounge time has been pushed back by 90 min tomorrow. Wanted to get started at 9 but the school system is opening 90 min late. Have you guys heard of schools opening late or closing because of cold weather? That's just downright ridiculous to me, and I spent the majority of my life in Hawaii! Also heard students in VA took to Twitter and posted whiny little comments about how the school system should have been closed today. Jeez Louise! You're never too young to grow a pair kids!
Surprised it's that different for you in MD as it is in NOVA. My wife is a school teacher, and taught in NOVA (Spotsylvania County) for 15 years before I dragged her (kicking and screaming) to MO. Two hour delays were the norm every time anyone spotted a snow flake in the Fredericksburg area. There was an accident back several years ago that killed two kids in Spotsy county, when they should have closed the schools. Needless to say, they've been overly cautious ever since. Her school was in a high "walker" area, so if the sidewalks were covered in snow, they were out of school. It wasn't uncommon for her to be off school for four days at a time when only three inches of snow had fallen. It made my head spin just thinking about it, but I come from a place where snow is more common. All of NOVA was the same way though, heck.....I got off work for several days in a row for the same thing, and I just laughed about it. Some places just aren't able to deal with any accumulation of snow, now matter how small.

Surprised it's that different for you in MD as it is in NOVA. My wife is a school teacher, and taught in NOVA (Spotsylvania County) for 15 years before I dragged her (kicking and screaming) to MO. Two hour delays were the norm every time anyone spotted a snow flake in the Fredericksburg area. There was an accident back several years ago that killed two kids in Spotsy county, when they should have closed the schools. Needless to say, they've been overly cautious ever since. Her school was in a high "walker" area, so if the sidewalks were covered in snow, they were out of school. It wasn't uncommon for her to be off school for four days at a time when only three inches of snow had fallen. It made my head spin just thinking about it, but I come from a place where snow is more common. All of NOVA was the same way though, heck.....I got off work for several days in a row for the same thing, and I just laughed about it. Some places just aren't able to deal with any accumulation of snow, now matter how small.

I think most of NOVA will be opening two hours late so it's all similar. Should have counted all the freaking days the kids were off this year, insane I tell ya! Seems like at least every other week they have off for some obscure teacher improvement, old white guy holiday, etc. I understand being cautious with snow but the freaking cold weather!? It's freaking winter! It's supposed to be cold. Anyway, that's enough of my rant lol. At least it will give me more time to touch up my chain before I got to the scrounge spot.

I remember when bus drivers had to know how to put chains on their bus, and we went to school in the snow, was no big deal.

I guess I'm just gettin old, and things have changed!

You should see the looks on my clients faces when I show up to do their tax return when there is a foot of unplowed snow on the ground. I just tell them "why else would I own a 4wd vehicle?"

After living 4 years in Rochester NY and 4 years in Cleveland, OH in the lake effect snow regions what is a little snow? I learned to get around in it just fine. 1 foot of snow and still snowing, no big deal, be at work on time. Where I am at now in south central PA a threat of 6 or more inches and everything closes the next day. At least growing up, the schools waited until the morning to see if the snow actually materialized.

Latest posts

Back