Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20150329_114835.jpg

This was a great scrounge this weekend as well as some good family time. A guy just down the road from us wanted to get rid of this large ash tree and approached me about it because he knows I do a lot of cutting. He didn't want any of the wood and didn't feel comfortable cutting it himself, but the catch was it had a very heavy lean and it was a large heavy tree. It was around 30 inches at the stump so I left a fairly wide hinge, bore cut through the middle and pulled the saw back towards me to drop it. Everything went as planned and after I blocked it up I brought my logging apprentice out to make sure he approved of my work. I left the stump high because it was full of fence wire.

A foot of snow this morning , sunny now so I'm gonna fire up the BBQ for supper , closest I got to scrounging is throwing some scrounged wood in the furnace LOL
Maybe this should be my next scrounging trailer build LOL

Nothing like solving a problem that was never a problem to begin with... Those Euro guys and these dinky machines would never survive the abuse that we put stuff through. I mean, who needs to split 3-4" diameter pole wood anyways? Not really worth the effort of using a machine that size and extravagant to do such a simple task. :dizzy:

Please standby..... this is not a test, the National Scrounging Service Association (NSSA) has issued a sever scrounge alert for a large hard maple. Estimated size range is in excess of 30" at the base and extending approximately 12 feet in length. Location is approximately 4 miles due south of home base and is highly visable from the shoulder of the road. Severe caution should be used approaching this location due to anticipation of large volumes of sawdust being emitted from a 285CD. A slight to moderately warm breeze is expected out of the south at 5 to 10 mph with a chance of sun shine.

Pictures to follow, looks like the power company took this tree down recently. Lots of good meat in the trunk and not punk. They cut all the branches and dropped the trunk on top of them. I know the land owner and will seek permission but wont be cutting until I get my truck back together, I need to be able to move the wood. I've probably got 2 cord of wood scrounged, cut blocked and half split in two different locations right now that need pickup. I dont want someone to run off with this wood if I put the energy into it. The other two piles I have going are secure.

On top of that, I dropped a nice 24" elm tree in my back yard. The top was dead and an eye sore. I was leaving it for wood pecker food but got sick of looking at it. Had a little back and side lean to it and wasnt sure it would go where I wanted but to my suprise it did. Cut the face, bored in and backed cut through the bore. The 285 loved it. I have pictures of it down but you'll have to wait b/c I left my phone at home.

Warning !!!! Thread Derail !!!!

So , I've been in the "deal with people and general public" business my entire working life and have seen and dealt with plenty along the way including some "Never seen that before" or "Never had that happen before" or "Wasn't expecting that" etc ....... Well ...

We've got 3 buildings in our complex , my shop , a bike shop and a car detailing shop , the detail shop also cleans buses on Saturday and Sunday , it doesn't affect me and I try to be the good neighbour by keeping my front parking spots open on the weekend so the buses can come and go .
Space has been tight lately because of the snow this year but , that's Nature .
This Sunday , Abdul , the detail shop owner comes to work and finds 2 Towncars parked on my side of the lot ,most likely because of snow ,,,,, He goes ballistic , goes back in his shop , comes out with a quart of red enamel paint and pours it all over the 2 cars ...... What a schitt show , very unhappy limo drivers , very pizzed off property manager , RCMP involved , he denied everything , but ,,,,,, there's a witness , and she won't lie when asked LOL
I've helped him out when he was in a jam , broke something or needed to find something , now he's persona non grata in my shop , no use for him ,it could very well have been my customers cars in the space that I pay rent on .
And , if they were my customers cars , how would I have explained the burning car the belongs to Abdul in a parking spot that I don't rent to the RCMP this morning LOL
What a schitt head .

Back to scrounging now LOL
Marshy , from what I know , trees in Europe are at a premium and they do burn mainly smaller wood that most of us are used to burning , even here in Nova Scotia with our small land mass and slow growth we are seeing smaller and smaller wood as the years go by , settlers landed here first and started cutting here working their way west , it sure would have been nice if it would have been the other way LOL
We also have suffered "Cut the best , leave the rest" forestry practices for centuries so you know what that leaves behind . While we still enjoy some large trees our woods are heading in a Eurowood direction , almost everything I've scrounged , cut and burnt over the last 3 years was cut with an 026 and probably 8" average , while we do have some larger stands of wood most of it goes to sawmills , pellet mills or overseas so I see myself looking at some of the Euro ways to see if it fits with what I have at my disposal , some of it does sadly but I'm sure happy to drag out the 066 our the 2100 for those rare occasions :)
As far as the gimmicky stuff ... I enjoy finding some of it just for WTF factor LOL
Besides , don't we all need the latest IPhone 7xxxxxxxx ?????
Scrounge on gentleman , big or small , chicken tractors included :)

Here's the Elm I dropped yesterday. I'll likely get a better picture of the stump and post it in the critique my face cut thread. I know I over cut the face cut in the horizontal by an inch or two just on the side furthest away...
image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, that's poison ivy all over that phuker.

I had a cherry that I cut last year that had 5x the vines as that elm. It was a pain to cut/clean up. The tree needed to go so I could build my shed. I think I got poison ivy 2x from cleaning up that tree. I cut it in march last year while it was still frozen are here but I still got the ivy. Oh well I am good for 2-3 times getting poison ivy a year. I even know what it looks like.

I have a healthy tree on my property that a bow hunter used for his tree stand. A year later I noticed the stand was still in the tree and asked him about it. He told me the money he spent to buy the stand was not worth it to him to go after it because it was covered in poison ivy vines when he came to get it. Some people are just that sensitive to the irritants.

Back