Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, pretty soon I will have to move to a new scrounging spot, as the one I'm at now is getting thinned out,

standard.jpg

And HERE is where it's all ending up,

standard.jpg

SR
Looks good Rob.
Hows the 562 running now.

View attachment 642571You and Bud also thought we should put another bucket load in here. You and Dancan my have the same definition of loaded.

Have had my Nissan hardbody loaded to the bump stops and past them several times lol we have had the bumpers almost dragging the ground a few times. Not recommended but Dad used to haul whole flats of bricks in ore hard body nissans. Could only go 25 mph but it got them home.
Oh and have pulled a 17 ft bowrider boat with it on a few occasions. 70mph on the interstate no problem. Had to stop SUPER early with it though. They got the gearing right in those little 4 cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I picked up this little 150 a couple weeks ago for $5. All I was buying was the recoil for one of my Dad's old saws. When I got it home a put a shot of mix in the carb and it fired up, so I started thinking maybe I'd set it aside for awhile. Today it started raining, so I decided to tinker with it. I dumped the old fuel out, rinsed the tank a couple more times, put fuel in it. Put a shot of fuel in the carb and it started, put another primer shot in it and it kept running. Revs nice and fast, sits and idles, the only thing I can find wrong is the cork gasket on the fuel top is shot. I'm more pumped up about getting a new chain and playing with this one, than I was with the last brand new one I got. I've got to learn how to post video's, Imgur won't do it, Joe.
FF96L02.jpg

I had a blue XL150 YEARS ago. Dad gave it to me in the early 80's IIRC, think he bought it in the early 70's??

What a vibrating POS it was! My hand & fingers would swell up after 20 minutes running it. In hindsight, I guess it wasn't a POS, it ran pretty good. Good memories regardless........

G'day scroungers. The Lady who had the farm that I pillaged 70 odd cubes or 20 cord from last year is now on a nearby property, some treed but more difficult to access. Still making noises that sound like "Winter is coming and I don't have any wood" and suchlike. Obviously I still feel grateful enough for cutting craploads on her old farm to go out and see what's on the new property. No wood for ol' Cowboy though, it's all for her. I'm not short on options though and realistically I can use the exercise so I look at it that way. I rehooked up the monkey saw throttle and loaded up all the boys in the car.

31st Mar 5.jpg

Hilariously, after 8 years sitting idle and failing to fire in November when I last tried it, the MS310 farm boss fired up 4th pull once he got sight of the monkey saw. Someone's feeling threatened! It was a great day to be out and after driving around for a while we came across this dead standing peppermint. Didn't look that big because it was next to a two-headed blue gum that was two metres across at the base.

31st Mar 4.jpg

31st Mar 7.jpg

The peppermint was about 28" at the base and Limby took care of business.

31st Mar 3.jpg

31st Mar 2.jpg

I gave the 310 a run for the first time in years and it chugged along. When I pulled out the 241 though, there was no comparison, it made the 310 look like an anaemic wuss. What a sweet little saw Cowgirl has! It was great until it died again. I probably should have had a closer look at it before but found a bit of an issue down the handle end. I think that black thing is meant to be attached to that white thing and there seems to be some black stuff missing that should fit in that white groove. Same on the other side. I hope I didn't make that too technical.

31st Mar 6.jpg

31st Mar 1.jpg

I can't believe that Randy would have cocked that up so I am blaming Australian Customs for breaking it, probably took it apart looking for smuggled goods or something. They would say of course that that is how it was when they got it. How's the accountability?

31st Mar 8.jpg

Anyway, finished the job with Limby and used the 460 down the smaller end. Peppermint is pretty good for splitting but the Lady Farmer doesn't have the arms to knock it apart so I cut and split and she loaded the trailer. Mostly used the fiskars, needed the 8lber to smash up some branchy bits. Ended up with three loads in the trailer back to the house, a cord all up.

31st Mar 9.jpg

I feel like I've done my good deed for the day. There's still a little left of this tree out there and a few other dead limbs and whatnot lying around that area. Most of the trees are blue gums though and they don't die off and fall over anywhere near as often as peppermint and once they're dry they are so hard they are murder on your gear. Prolly another two loads of easily accessible stuff in this area though, might get out there Monday.

:)

Well, pretty soon I will have to move to a new scrounging spot, as the one I'm at now is getting thinned out,

standard.jpg

And HERE is where it's all ending up,

standard.jpg

SR
You've got a few good piles there Rob, now you just need it stacked.
I've been doing a little interior work on the house as I have the man flu, but it's going on 4 weeks now and getting some strength back.
I haven't been this sick in over ten years I bet.
Can't wait to get back to cutting wood again.

You've got a few good piles there Rob, now you just need it stacked.
I've been doing a little interior work on the house as I have the man flu, but it's going on 4 weeks now and getting some strength back.
I haven't been this sick in over ten years I bet.
Can't wait to get back to cutting wood again.
I hope you get over your flu soon...

I leave the splits in those piles until next summer, then they will be put in half cord boxes to "finish off", for next winters burn season...

standard.jpg

When the boxes are needed, they are very easy to move with my tractor,

standard.jpg

SR

Is it considered a legitimate scrounge to leave the house with 4 saws and return with 5?
Out to my cutting site with Stihl MS362, 441, 193T and Echo CS 303T. I bought the Echo last year as my 193T was at the saw hospital. Echo was a total failure. Day one with it was okay, didn't cut as fast as the Stihl but not badly so. day2 fired up and cut brush, shut down to pile brush. Coulnd not get it to fire. Back to the dealer. Wash, rinse, repeat all last year never got it to fire after shutting it down after the first use. Fired up just fine at dealer.

Thursday out to cut to try the Echo for the last time before returning it.

193t grabbed a limb and yanked saw, chain brake set but wouldn't release. Grabbed the Echo as backup.YAY! ran fine

Today fired up, cut brush/piled/ picked up Echo - no fire. Then cut with 193T, sat it down idling and chain brake set again, no release.

So I bagged the cutting for the day, took Stihl to dealer (he called when I got home said it was the bar had a crack causing the problem - I'll pick it up Monday and take the Echo back to that deale, it'll stay there.

So with two tophandles down I still needed a backup. Just a block up the street was Husky dealer. T425 jumped in the trunk.

Good work cowboy.

I must say, I look enviously at those splits as I have to work so much harder for my ickle stoves. I'd cut each of yours in half and split them 3 or 4 times more!

Thanks Neil.

That is a fair bit more work you have to do, and you're losing a few % of your BTUs to saw chips. At least the splitting part is relatively easy with this stuff. With the bigger rounds I put three splits parallel across each round, about 3-4 hits each so the round is in four slices, then split at right angles to give square shaped splits which took one hit apiece, 14 bits all up. These splits are about 4-6 inches thick and 12 inches long to fit the Lady's heater. I was able to split faster than she could load in the trailer, gotta love peppermint for that. For my heater I like them about 15 inches long and anywhere up to 12 inches thick which is the fattest that will fit through the door though I like to have a range sizes on hand from 4 inches up.

I can run 27" long and the door is 12"x 12" but that size is not practical because even though the burn chamber is polly 20" in diameter you always have something in there burning .
Beauty day here today so I shot over to my friends place that we had dropped a bunch of trees so he could make a back yard .
Since green oak is heavy I blocked up the stems and split them to make the carry easier .

20180331_134209_HDR.jpg

Yup , block , split , file then repeat , daum yard trees :(

20180331_140630_HDR.jpg

I had plenty already down the the next thing I know ...

20180331_134207_HDR.jpg

My buddy is up there with my saw , 4 more maples came down this afternoon lol
I got the trailer with all the oak that I blocked and split up but was running out of time so to make it a proper scrounge load ...

20180331_163728_HDR.jpg

I filled the last row with some nice spruce that we had blocked up the last time we were there :)
It was a good afternoon , my buddy was happy , the trees fell where we wanted , we did have a rope in a couple just for the extra safety factor because of powerlines .

Latest posts

Back